• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

slabbing really beat up books

18 posts in this topic

I was watching this auction out of curiosity.

It's an ASM #50 in CGC 1.0 -- and it went for almost $30, which seems like

an awful lot for a book in "fair."

Aside from having such a book as a conversation piece, what's the point?

Would you pay $30 for this book?

gozer

------------------------

I see by the Big Board we got a Negative Nellie in Sector Two.

I was watching this auction out of curiosity.

It's an ASM #50 in CGC 1.0 -- and it went for almost $30, which seems like

an awful lot for a book in "fair."

Aside from having such a book as a conversation piece, what's the point?

Would you pay $30 for this book?

gozer

------------------------

I see by the Big Board we got a Negative Nellie in Sector Two.

Because they thought all CGC comics would go for insane prices?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Seems to me anyone interested in buying a 1.0 can't be too picky about grade or concerned about restoration... so why pay extra for the slab? Couldn't you get this book in this condition raw for about $5?

And... why the heck would someone pay to get it slabbed? insane.gif

CGC must have laughed all the way to the bank when they pocketed that slabbing fee. 27_laughing.gif

When I first learned about CGC and comics, I sent in a whole bunch of beat up early Spideys 19, 25, 39,40,55,59 and got a couple of 1.0s, 0.5 - 3.0 grades, and I sold them all for a tidy profit back then, more than what I could have sold them for raw at the time as an unestablished new comic seller. I wanted to get a feel for the bottom end of the CGC grading scale in an unfamiliar genre since all I knew were ultra high grade moderns. For me, it was worth the expense. You may be seeing a few of these floating around. But yes, in this current atmosphere, I'd open them slabs up and treat these as readers if they were mine, but I'd probably pay no more than OS GD guide for it

Maybe the buyer is trying to get examples of books in all the different grades for comparison purposes.

I think this could be the reason. I personally have bought many low grade slabed books so that I could get a better feel for CGC's grading. It's been a great investment in my opinion because it showed me just how far off my grading has been. That's also one of my favorite Spidey covers so if I was buying or grading low grade stuff I'd definitely do that cover confused-smiley-013.gif