• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foom 2

26 posts in this topic

lol

At the very least it looks like a gigantic stretch.

lol

You guys think its all a coincidence that a reader sends in a character idea called the wolverine in 1973 with what appears to be a metal exoskeleton and then the wolverine debuts in 74?

We can't be inside their minds but it looks pretty reasonable to me. Ie Id say somebody at marvel kind of liked what the fan sent in and they made tweaks and ran with it. Why wouldn't they? By sending it in to them unsolicited, correct me if Im wrong, but I believe it becomes marvels property to do with as they please, and even if it Wasnt they tweaked it enough to be 'original'. Sure seems like the seeds of the character to me (shrug). Sure marvel watered and pruned it and sometimes added fertilizer :insane: but I suspect it did start here and to me that does make FOOM 2 kind of interesting

lol

You guys think its all a coincidence that a reader sends in a character idea called the wolverine in 1973 with what appears to be a metal exoskeleton and then the wolverine debuts in 74?

We can't be inside their minds but it looks pretty reasonable to me. Ie Id say somebody at marvel kind of liked what the fan sent in and they made tweaks and ran with it. Why wouldn't they? By sending it in to them unsolicited, correct me if Im wrong, but I believe it becomes marvels property to do with as they please, and even if it Wasnt they tweaked it enough to be 'original'. Sure seems like the seeds of the character to me (shrug). Sure marvel watered and pruned it and sometimes added fertilizer :insane: but I suspect it did start here and to me that does make FOOM 2 kind of interesting

Venom came from a fan submission. But Marvel paid him $200 or something. I think the metal skeleton thing is a red herring, because my recollection is that for the first appearance of Wolvie, the claws were supposed to be in the gloves, and the metal claws and skeleton were added by Claremont later.

lol

Venom came from a fan submission. But Marvel paid him $200 or something. I think the metal skeleton thing is a red herring, because my recollection is that for the first appearance of Wolvie, the claws were supposed to be in the gloves, and the metal claws and skeleton were added by Claremont later.

Interesting, I didn't know that about Venom.

As for the metal skeleton and such, who's to say claremont wasn't looking at the fan submission when he wrote that part in?

We'll never know. But the timing and the unique name and look suggest to me that at least some thoughts were borrowed from this submission.

Do you have any info or pics of the venom fan submission?

lol

Interesting, I didn't know that about Venom.

As for the metal skeleton and such, who's to say claremont wasn't looking at the fan submission when he wrote that part in?

We'll never know. But the timing and the unique name and look suggest to me that at least some thoughts were borrowed from this submission.

Do you have any info or pics of the venom fan submission?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=venom+submitted+by+fan%2c+marvel+purchased

lol

I thought it was just a picture the guy submitted. Was there a write up as well?

There were several toys in the early-mid 70's that had these types of Robot faces and metal gears inside. That doesn't look like a skeleton as much as it does machinery.

Thus the "Stretch" I referred to.

There were several toys in the early-mid 70's that had these types of Robot faces and metal gears inside. That doesn't look like a skeleton as much as it does machinery.

That's what I was thinking. The name, maybe, but there's nothing else particularly unique there.

That's what I was thinking. The name, maybe, but there's nothing else particularly unique there.

I think the word prototype works.

Agreed. Clearly 'referencing' already-existing product designs found in toyshops at the time.

Agreed. Clearly 'referencing' already-existing product designs found in toyshops at the time.

Here's a nother one, looks like the market is speaking....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOOM-2-1973-RARE-FIRST-WOLVERINE-PROTOTYPE-BEFORE-HULK-181-/331092820441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d16ab81d9

also if this character was called the Lemming no one would give a sh*t but put metal skeleton and the name Wolverine together just prior to hulk 181 should raise some questions Marvel should answer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOOM-2-1973-RARE-FIRST-WOLVERINE-PROTOTYPE-BEFORE-HULK-181-/331092820441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d16ab81d9

also if this character was called the Lemming no one would give a sh*t but put metal skeleton and the name Wolverine together just prior to hulk 181 should raise some questions Marvel should answer.

Looks like a zero feedback bidder is doing all the talking in that auction. lol

Also I had no idea the real Wolverine had gears and sprockets in his chest. :o

also if this character was called the Lemming...

hm Interesting...

I wish the character had been called The Lemming, then he would most likely have died a pointless death in X-Men 95 instead of Thunderbird. As a big fan of Warpath, this idea works for me.

The market is speaking? More like the lemmings are speaking.