• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Michael Golden Cover Jam Session

68 posts in this topic

In the late Bronze Age Marvel started experimmenting with a few toy-inspired series based on characters they'd licensed from toy manufacturers. One title quickly began to stand out from the crowd, Micronauts by writer (and GS Avengers colorist) Bill Mantlo and artist Michael Golden. This was Golden's first regular series, and you could see the confidence of his line develop rapidly over the first few issues. Then, with the cover of Micronauts #7, Golden fully arrived, and began putting out a series of covers, many on second and third tier books of the late Bronze and early Copper Ages that is still is still breathtaking 20 to 25 years later. I grabbed everything Golden put out that I saw, and thought I'd share some of the highlights. Enjoy!

(BTW, I'm just going to post the Micronauts covers that I thought were most striking, because there are so many of them. I'll mix up the these covers a little with some of the groups covers from other books, which aren't otherwise posted in any particluar order).

ihnp-38676.jpg

You got it. Here's Golden on a high profile book...

ihnp-39014.jpg

I always liked the "Marvel's TV Sensation" bit on the Hulk books of that era. Classic Marvel hype. Excelsior!

Before the Blade movie, that was the most successful foray of a Marvel character into the cultural mainstream. The TV Hulks would make a nice set in the pre-Peter David era.

BTW, that's The Gardener on the cover of Hulk #249, Soul Gem and all. Starlin/Warlock completists take note!

Nice snag! Is that a Golden cover? Looks like it might be Gene Colan, but it's not a great scan.

I've got a few of the earliest of those Marvel Classic Comics in a box somewhere. That would make an interesting set (and thread!).