• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please guess the grade!! ASM #28...?

29 posts in this topic

Please ignore the middle part of the comicbook because of the CGC case which has scratches and some cloudy reflection. It's main defects are the spine and edge wear, other then that it looks pretty good for it's grade... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

628686-ASM28cgc.jpg

P.S. the black areas are black with very little defects....

628686-ASM28cgc.jpg.f27ca8fa5efbb30e18183160edcd96e3.jpg

I can't see those guesses being way off unless there's something else wrong with the book that you're not telling us...

I'd say it's somewhere between a 4.5 and 5.0 ... just too many spine creases, too much tearing in the overhand at upper edge, + "funky greenness" in logo area and what appears to be a fair degree of overall cover wear / loss of gloss.

And here's something to consider: which would you trust more, the consensus of 6 - 12 sharp-eyed graders or three blind mice from Saratoga? Seriously, I'm gettin' a little tired of the assumption that we as collectors (and dealers etc.) should be striving to reconcile our grading precisely with CGC's. If a dozen board regulars all get within a full grade in their opinions of a book, and CGC's grade was way outside that consensus, I'd

1) trust the dozen board regulars

2) get the graders' notes from CGC and find out what CGC had found that wasn't evident to the board regulars

If the grades being offered up here are way off, then there's something hidden that's wrong with the book. (Notice I'm assuming that we're overgrading it, 'cause there's just no way it's getting much more than a 5.0 from CGC)

I can't see those guesses being way off unless there's something else wrong with the book that you're not telling us...

I'd say it's somewhere between a 4.5 and 5.0 ... just too many spine creases, too much tearing in the overhand at upper edge, + "funky greenness" in logo area and what appears to be a fair degree of overall cover wear / loss of gloss.

And here's something to consider: which would you trust more, the consensus of 6 - 12 sharp-eyed graders or three blind mice from Saratoga? Seriously, I'm gettin' a little tired of the assumption that we as collectors (and dealers etc.) should be striving to reconcile our grading precisely with CGC's. If a dozen board regulars all get within a full grade in their opinions of a book, and CGC's grade was way outside that consensus, I'd

1) trust the dozen board regulars

2) get the graders' notes from CGC and find out what CGC had found that wasn't evident to the board regulars

If the grades being offered up here are way off, then there's something hidden that's wrong with the book. (Notice I'm assuming that we're overgrading it, 'cause there's just no way it's getting much more than a 5.0 from CGC)

Let's just say that we live in a very subjective world, whether it be comics or who's right or wrong??........end it on that confused-smiley-013.gif

You gave the grade away too quick.

Give at least 24 hours next time for everyone to have a guess.

Now if I say I was going to guess 7.0 I'll get flamed.gif... 27_laughing.gif

Actually I would have guessed 6.5 assuming that green crud was just dist. spray.

sumo.gif

I think you did good at 7.0. thumbsup2.gif

Actually I would have guessed 6.5 assuming that green crud was just dist. spray.

sumo.gif

Thanks!!

sumo.gif

Thanks!!

Sell that puppy! makepoint.gif

I was going to say that it looks like a FN or maybe a FN+. 7.0 is a little generous, but not exactly shocking.

Oh boy, get ready for a bunch of negative comments blush.gif

FFB thats your cue brother crazy.gif

Congrats on getting a 8.5 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Did I not hear on this board before that CGC is alittle bit forgiving on old silver-age comic and maybe for black covers like this one?? I assume it hard to find grade of 7.5 or higher to made the grade. But if mine was a bit better looking .....maybe 893crossfingers-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif