• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please guess the grade!! ASM #28...?

29 posts in this topic

Why did you XXX-out the serial number btw? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why, do you need the numbers? gossip.gif

gossip.gifjust a weird thing to do gossip.gif

The reason why I did that was to avoid any thief of image of the CGC comicbook and seeing it on E-bay. Where someone could claim it as theirs? 893naughty-thumb.gif If you want the numbers I would gladly give it, just P.M. me...... thumbsup2.gifI could of put a watermark but I don't have any program that would do that ..... confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh boy, get ready for a bunch of negative comments blush.gif

FFB thats your cue brother crazy.gif

Congrats on getting a 8.5 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I wish it would be that high but no.......here it tis

628753-File0001.jpg

yay.gifThis is it!! ....good guess anyway....thanks guys thumbsup2.gif

Well, I'm happy for ya, but it's examples like this that can drive a man to drink. 893whatthe.gif

Since when can a 7.0 book have more than a dozen color-breaking spine creases, significant stress around at least one staple, color flecks at bottom and right edge, and a top edge that looks like it's got a number of small tears in the overhang?

And to be clear, this isn't exactly an early Marvel book...

So now CGC's applying

- GA forgiveness (not in this instance, of course)

- pseudo early Marvel SA forgiveness

- black cover forgiveness

- Marvel chipping forgiveness

...am I missing any?

Would you mind posting the graders' notes from CGC so we can get a sense of what they saw vs. what we're seeing here?

Is it possible the book has incurred additional damage, particularly in that LL FC area, since being slabbed?

I'm not here to argue about if the grading is questionable, I bought it at the suggested grade which was slabbed at CGC. I'm here to showcase my comic to all enthusiast of comics, but if you have issues with CGC then why do you bother buying them at all, if you do. If you have no faith in what they do, then any graded comic they examine,slab and numbered has no validity in your eyes! Then what's the point of buying their product of any graded comic they examine!

And to be clear, this isn't exactly an early Marvel book...

What do you consider Early Marvel Age for Silver-age? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To answer your questions in reverse order:

- An "early" Marvel would be pre-1965, IMHO

- The point of buying a graded comic is to obtain the comic inside the slab; the plastic itself, in my eyes, has no inherent value.

- Ah, but the comic itself has value, and that value is determined in part by the condition of the comic. To your point, when CGC's grading gets sloppy, do we simply swallow any grade they care to assign a book? Do you believe that CGC is equally accurate with every single book they grade? That they are infallible? Even Steve Borock would acknowledge that grading is subjective, and people aren't perfect. Add those two variables together, and you've got a formula for occasional mistakes, as in any line of business.

- I do own some slabbed comics, but not very many; I've submitted a few, but only a few. Regardless, these boards are for comic book collectors and enthusiasts; nowhere does the fine print say "you must own XX CGCed books in order to participate on these boards." Furthermore, even if I had NO slabbed books, I'd still be hanging out on these boards because it's the single most concentrated source of knowledge and information on comic book back issues that exists on the Web.

- If you only want to "showcase your comic to other enthusiasts," you could post it in one of several "Have a Cigar" threads; but you posted it in the Grading/Resto thread with the invitation "Please guess the grade" ... did I misinterpret something here? Once you post the grade that CGC bestowed on the book, I should just say "hunh - that's surprising" and revise 30 years worth of personally grading comics? I can't question CGC's grade?

It's a nice book, it's got a great cover illustration, and I'm a big Spidey fan - but that doesn't mean the book wasn't overgraded by CGC - it was. Part of the usefullness of these boards is the discourse between fellow board members. I'm far more interested in the 'consensus' of those other board members than I am in CGC's opinion of the book's condition. CGC's grade is generally a starting point for debating a book's condition, IMO...not the be-all, end-all of grading.

yay.gif I was thinking 6.5-7.0 as i was reading doen the post...i agree that you gave it away too quick...I think the black area makes the stress look worse than it would on a lighter coloured book....nice copy!

GG,

All good points, but IMHO I would consider 1965 to still be early Marvel.

To answer your questions in reverse order:

- An "early" Marvel would be pre-1965, IMHO

- The point of buying a graded comic is to obtain the comic inside the slab; the plastic itself, in my eyes, has no inherent value.

Bravo! It's value alone may be somewhere around $2.37 - you'd have to ask Steve on this one.

- Ah, but the comic itself has value, and that value is determined in part by the condition of the comic. To your point, when CGC's grading gets sloppy, do we simply swallow any grade they care to assign a book? Do you believe that CGC is equally accurate with every single book they grade? That they are infallible? Even Steve Borock would acknowledge that grading is subjective, and people aren't perfect. Add those two variables together, and you've got a formula for occasional mistakes, as in any line of business.

You could toss them a bone every now and then - these guys work hard and do a great job!

- I do own some slabbed comics, but not very many; I've submitted a few, but only a few. Regardless, these boards are for comic book collectors and enthusiasts; nowhere does the fine print say "you must own XX CGCed books in order to participate on these boards." Furthermore, even if I had NO slabbed books, I'd still be hanging out on these boards because it's the single most concentrated source of knowledge and information on comic book back issues that exists on the Web.

My feelings exactly.

- If you only want to "showcase your comic to other enthusiasts," you could post it in one of several "Have a Cigar" threads; but you posted it in the Grading/Resto thread with the invitation "Please guess the grade" ... did I misinterpret something here? Once you post the grade that CGC bestowed on the book, I should just say "hunh - that's surprising" and revise 30 years worth of personally grading comics? I can't question CGC's grade?

It's a nice book, it's got a great cover illustration, and I'm a big Spidey fan - but that doesn't mean the book wasn't overgraded by CGC - it was. Part of the usefullness of these boards is the discourse between fellow board members. I'm far more interested in the 'consensus' of those other board members than I am in CGC's opinion of the book's condition. CGC's grade is generally a starting point for debating a book's condition, IMO...not the be-all, end-all of grading.

shy.gif