• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I bet you have never seen this price guide.

12 posts in this topic

This is the very first British comic price guide for American comics. It starts with comics from the 60's to 1979. In the back it pays homage to The One and only Neal Adams. It lists all his artwork in comics. This price guide is quite rare. It is probably rarer than the 1970 Overstreet but not as rare as the very first comic price guide, The Argosy. This is the only copy I have ever seen.

English001_zpsa1ca84c8.jpg

That's a nice rare book you just found congrats, I never seen one myself ! toke me awhile to find this price book it was limited to 500 copies very rare as well, been checking places like e-bay just about every day & none has ever popped up ! got lucky at amazon but still ending up paying a lot for it :(

001_zps8f0e827e.jpg

It's not the first. Alan Austin published a price guide, first edition '75. I bought the '79 version, but don't have it anymore.

http://www.comicpriceguide.co.uk/uk_comic.php?tc=alanguide1

http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2007/12/price-guide-from-past.html

Which is contradicted by the statement in the first link, made by the professionally-produced Comic Book Price Guide For Great Britain, originally available in book format.

'An invaluable piece of work. Alan "The Guv'nor" Austin put it all together, hand-typed and stirched together. It formed the basis of my own Comic Book Price Guide when I bought the rights off him in 1988.'

This is the very first British comic price guide for American comics. It starts with comics from the 60's to 1979. In the back it pays homage to The One and only Neal Adams. It lists all his artwork in comics. This price guide is quite rare. It is probably rarer than the 1970 Overstreet but not as rare as the very first comic price guide, The Argosy. This is the only copy I have ever seen.

Pretty cool!

It's the only copy I've ever seen too... assuming this is the one I sold recently ;)

Some of the prices (in pounds) were -

Amazing Fantasy no.15 @ £75.00, Amazing Spider-man no.1 @ £100.00, Avengers no.1 @ £35.00, Daredevil no.1 @ £15.00, Fantastic Four no.1 @ £150.00, The Incredible Hulk no.1 @ £45.00, Uncanny X-Men no.1 @ £17.50, Detective Comics no.400 @ £1.50, Flash no.123 @ £3.00, Green Lantern no.76 @ £17.00, Justice league Of America no.1 @ £30.00

Which is contradicted by the statement in the first link, made by the professionally-produced Comic Book Price Guide For Great Britain, originally available in book format.

'An invaluable piece of work. Alan "The Guv'nor" Austin put it all together, hand-typed and stirched together. It formed the basis of my own Comic Book Price Guide when I bought the rights off him in 1988.'

Alan Austin (editor of the seminal fanzine Fantasy / Comics Unlimited) published -

The Comic Book Price Guide For Great Britain - Jan 1975

The Comicollector's Companion & Price Guide - Dec 1975

The Comicollector's Companion & Price Guide - Volume 1 Marvel Comics - Feb 1979

The Comicollector's Companion & Price Guide - Volume 2 DC Comics - Sep 80

The Comic Guide For Great Britain "Fourth Edition" - 1983

Duncan McAlpine then published "The Official Comic Book Price Guide For Great Britain" in 8 editions from 1989 to 1997

The latter editions are excellent reference works - not just prices but lots of interesting content too - and you can get them very cheaply

McAlpine nows runs a web-site of a similar name I believe

Some prices from 1975 -

Amazing Fantasy no.15 @ £15.00

Avengers no.1 @ £6.50

Brave & Bold no.28 @ £5.00

Daredevil no.1 @ £3.00

Fantastic Four no.1 @ £25.00

Flash no.123 @ £0.55

The Incredible Hulk no.1 @ £10.00

Justice league Of America no.1 @ £7.00

Amazing Spider-man no.1 @ £15.00

I was only 3 at the time so my pocket money wouldn't covered it...