• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Fan Days -- October 17-19, 2014

130 posts in this topic

Allegedly there will be an October show, they just haven't posted dates yet. Hopefully there won't be a conflict with WW Austin. I'll update the link for the home page once they fix it.

Show Home Page

Nearby La Quinta with free shuttle to and from convention center

DCC Facebook page (for guest announcements)

I'm 99.9$ sure they had the dates posted earlier this year (the first weekend of October), but then WWA was announced and now there's no dates for Fan Days.

Mark said Fan Days will take place at the Irving Convention Center, but they don't have the dates for the show. Alamo City changed their dates too to September, probably because they didn't want to go vs Fan Days and Wizard. But in 2012 WWA was the week after Fan Days, and both shows were well attended.

The week before or after WW Austin would be fine, though it would be nice to have a week off inbetween if possible. I recall that they had October dates posted originally but then took the calendar down. They did say on the Facebook page that the Feb and Oct shows would stay in Irving "for the foreseeable future", which is fine for these smaller shows.

Wow, So looking at dates, Alamo City Comic Con will be September 26-28 follow that up less than a week as they are doing a Thursday to Saturday??? Wizard World Austin on October 3-5 and then going for Dallas Fan Days most likely right after I think will end up hurting all three. Would love to get a vendor opinion on this one but for me personally it means I will be less likely to make new purchases / acquisitions at any of the shows and simply focus on Signatures and CGC Grading fees.

I think Alamo City will honestly have a leg up, not because it will have or not have better artists / celebs but because its first. Those who cannot control spending will be more likely to unload on the first show and the last show gets whatever is left. For me it will all come down to who will be attending each of these shows in combination with who will be attending Wizard World San Antonio, Dallas Comic Con, and Capital CIty not to mention any others in Houston and El Paso that I know I am missing.

If Dallas Fan Days is smart and right now I think them holding out on the show days announcement, I would go for a November date and take the first or second weekend in the month. Gives us a month to replenish our wallets and fills the void left by Wizard World Austin moving there date up. This allows for Alamo and Wizard World to fight over our dollars and lets Dallas rest easy knowing they will once again have full pockets to attend there show. If they do it the weekend following Wizard World Austin I honestly cannot see me making any vendor happy aside from CGC and Desert Winds for any of them.

Hopefully Dallas takes advantage of the two shows jumping on top of one another but if not I don't see this going well for any show in particular unless one show decides to do a Masters signing event, hosts the cast of the Avengers, or gets some niche creators Jim Lee? Marc Silvestri? Todd McFarlane? or amazing actors Sylvestor?, Arnold?, Willis?

Spread them out facilitators so I can spend my money at your shows and not have to nickle and dime a bunch all crunched together.

I could definitely live with a very early November date. The first weekend would include Halloween, Oct 31-Nov 2 (or Nov 1-2 if a Sat-Sun show), which could be fun for cosplayers. The second weekend would be Nov 7-9 (or Nov 8-9 if it were a Sat-Sun show). I wouldn't like to see it any later than that, due to both the proximity to Thanksgiving and the potential for bad weather like we had in late November this year.

Yep that's what I am hoping for the dates to be as well. Figured the first date might not be a huge turn out on Friday as most parents will be stuck taking kids out trick or treating but the 7-9 show would be a really good slot for it. I can go back and forth with the weather though for Texas. This year it was horrible during the show for Wizard World Austin with the lower temp, ice, and rain all throughout. Oddly enough a week and a half later it was back in the low to mid 60's. Heck last week it was low 70's.

My biggest thing is the need for time to recover financially so I can make that one or two big purchases I like to make during a Con that gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

I do have to say so far there have been some pretty amazing names coming to Texas in 2014 listed and we are only in the beginning stages for most of the announcements.

Alamo changing the dates had nothing to do with WW or anyone, had to do with available dates and construction happening at Henry B, they want to be in Oct, but they can also catch some of the international artists going to NYC, having Jim Lee, not going to happen he is too busy. A listers like Arnold, Stallone wow will cost them close to 200k for each of them. Dallas would be smart to have a late oct or early nov show, nothing else they have to compete with.

Between Wizard Austin and ACL glad they found a nice date for Fan Days....just hope its not a fan expo event.

The Fan Expo twitter feed says the October show is a Fan Expo event... You boycotting all their stuff now?

I'm hoping they'll have some guest info soon. If I don't go to Tulsa this'll be my last show of the year.

Just go to the Rate that Comic Con page and see all the artists and long time vendors that won't attend.

I honestly hated that I paid $300 for a VIP and the Fan Expo people never gave a sh-- about the costumers. I talked with both Ben and Mark because they wanted to know why I wasn't attending, I told them and Mark said that the Fan Expo VP or something like that was going to address all the issues...never happened.

Between a Fan Expo staff that never shows up online, a stupid website guy that messes up all the time, and Con exclusives that they end up selling online days after the show, I won't attend. At least when I spent $900 on 3 Wizard VIP tickets they actually gave a damn and they organized a damn good show.

Ben and Mark are nice guys and organizers, but I won't go back to their shows as long as Fan Expo is involved.

Buuuuut, I'm attending Alamo City Comic Con and probably Wizard Austin again.

I had heard the organizers were trying to do a 1 day free event this summer at Irving Convention Center as a thank you to all the fans. Not really sure if it's happening now that it's June and no info.

I saw a mention of that show on their Facebook page when I checked for guest info. I think it is on August 9th, and debated starting a thread about it. I don't think I'll make it, it's too far to drive for that short a show.

On that day there's also another event in Dallas, the Dallas Comic & Pop Expo. They did one in March which I heard was alright. Super small, takes place at the Richardson.

Don't expect guest info until July.

On that day there's also another event in Dallas, the Dallas Comic & Pop Expo. They did one in March which I heard was alright. Super small, takes place at the Richardson.

Don't expect guest info until July.

The Dallas Comic & Pop Expo in March was a complete waste of time and money. There were virtually no comics there. Just a couple people with dollar boxes and then me. Attendance and sales were dismal to say the least.

There will be a one day Fan Expo show at the Irving Convention Center on August 9th with free admission. Several comic dealers have already committed to it, including myself. I think Duncanville will be there also.