• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Fan Days -- October 17-19, 2014

130 posts in this topic

I don't know if I would hold my breath waiting on a big comic book name. They may pull one out of their hat but it will be probably be someone we have seen in the past. I can't say that I blame them for this show because it is Fan Days not Comic Con. They always go with more media for this one. I know they have a couple more big names to announce but they aren't comic guests. I know Mark and Ben both said they have concerns about crowd capacity for the venue and the guest list so far will bring in a LARGE crowd not to mention who probably is going to be added. The comic crowd will be there. We just have to let them know to come to the Fan Appreciation shows as well.

We are adding some more comic names, but not a ton on this show. After the May event we have a lot more eyeballs on what we do right now, and knowing the crowd limitations of the Irving Convention Center we want to keep the guest list limited to what we know we can accommodate. But for people who always think names like Jim Lee and Alex Ross are the answer, hate to tell you they're next to impossible to get these days, not without calling in major favors or spending insane bank. And yeah, Simon Bisley may be a repeat name, but as I frequently say now, just because YOU have met them doesn't mean others have. Biz is always a solid name to have at shows, and a lot of folks come just to see him, even if they've already met the guy.

Hi Mark, it's great to have you as part of the forum. We do a pretty significant amount of discussion and promotion of these shows over here, so it will be really nice to have your input/insights on these. :applause:

From DCC's Facebook:

Hey guys and gals, I wanted to chime in to help you guys with fan expectations while we finalize some things on this end.

Website: The ‪#‎FanDays‬ website is close to complete. It should be up this week with ticket types, guests (announced so far), and more info.

Invited Guests: I have offers out to several big name guests (Doctor Who, Star Wars, Star Trek, Thrones, that are still pending. If just one of these big names come through, we will certainly have another blow out event. We won't have 60 comic and media guests like Dallas Comic Con with multiple programming tracks, etc. Think of Fan Days as our medium sized event with two dozen guests.

Limited Tickets: With the overwhelming number of people that attended our May event, moving the October show back to Irving will certainly have capacity issues. We expect to limit tickets for this event as the space is smaller (Tickets may even sell out pre-event).

Ticket Types: We will offer tickets similar to the types and prices as the last October event. We will have a Premium ticket that will have line jumps, early entry, etc, as well as multi-day, single day, and kid’s tickets.

Vendor room: All vendors and artists will be in the main exhibit hall. We won't have artists on the third floor for this one. The room will have some 250+ spaces and it's mostly sold out with just a few spaces remaining.

Photo Ops: We will have the same team as the May event which has an incredibly fast turn-around on printing your photo ops. They will occupy most of the third floor for the October event. We will allocate more space to them (including the old Artist Room) so they can better accommodate fans up there.

I hope this helps for now. More info coming soon, including hopefully a couple of nice guests adds!

More soon. -Ben

And, James Hong has been added.

Home page address is now fixed in the very first post of the thread. No new announcements for a few days, I hope they're not done yet...

BTW, have dates for the February show been announced yet? Do we know if there is going to be a February show like usual?

Mark said there is going to be a SciFI expo in February, he posted the dates too but with the amount of wall posts they get per day it will be hard to find that one.

By the way it looks like they are done announcing guests...expect maybe 2 or 3 adds and that's it.

Mark said there is going to be a SciFI expo in February, he posted the dates too but with the amount of wall posts they get per day it will be hard to find that one.

By the way it looks like they are done announcing guests...expect maybe 2 or 3 adds and that's it.

Thanks! Just found them, Feb 7-8, but it did take some digging...

And early entry, and those perks are worth it considering the con is at the ICC, and we know how that venue is...

It's actually better in my opinion. Parking is never hard to find and not over 5 bucks.

Only issue is getting in.

Hopefully there will be Priority Seating with premium package!

Where's the VIP package?

And early entry, and those perks are worth it considering the con is at the ICC, and we know how that venue is...

It's actually better in my opinion. Parking is never hard to find and not over 5 bucks.

Only issue is getting in.

Hopefully there will be Priority Seating with premium package!

Where's the VIP package?

I like the ICC for a lot of reasons, but it could be easier to get into. To me the main problem is that escalator. It makes sense to put the vendors downstairs and talent upstairs, but the escalator was poorly designed and creates too much of a bottleneck. A facility with that capacity really needs a more efficient way to move traffic to/from the upper floors.

I must admit that I am disappointed in the lack of artist going to this show. This may be the first show in many many years that I will not attend. I guess the streak had to be broken at some point.

I've been critical of the repeat guests, but now I guess I'd be happy to have the repeats as the guest list is so thin. I'm a little concerned for the dealers at the show, as the guest list looks to be geared to get attendees through the door for autographs, and not to shop the floor. I've been a dealer at the show for the past year, and from what I've seen, people coming to the show specifically for the celeb autographs don't really shop the dealers room (especially not for comics). Similarly cosplayers don't seem to shop either, as they are always clogging the aisles getting pictures taken. Hearing that dedicated comic fans are not interested in going to the show makes me a little worried about the outcome....

Agreed, it is an easy formula. Comic guests = attendees interested in buying comics and related merchandise. Vendors are not as well supported by a show with a thin comic guest list. Of course, the size and relative diversity of this list compared to past shows at this venue will not help any of the dealers regardless of their merchandise focus. It will be interesting to see how sales numbers at this show compare with the free admission show they did there a month ago.