• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Fan Days -- October 17-19, 2014

130 posts in this topic

My quick summary of Vendors

Cheers :

Black Cat Comics on Pricing and Customer Service

Black Cat isn't set up at the show...

You also must not enjoy buying any comics at these shows, or at least staying friendly with the dealers.

Cheers :

Dragon's Lair pricing realistically

Eddie's Comics for selling me an Invincible #1 9.6 for $225

Epic Justice Collectibles for all the old back issued for a buck! Red Sonja, Crisis on Infinite Earths and Nova

Jeers

Duncanville for pricing like they had to pay for a booth at NYCC

Ricks Comic Crypt for possibly be a front for Mile High Comics. I don't know how to explain the "Mile High Pricing".

Show is doing better on attendance than expected. It was harder to get through the crowds this year.

I'm glad my prices are good. Praising my customer service however has got to be a mistake. I can't remember ever being nice to anyone who decided to trash the prices of a couple of friends of mine.

Nice job on the Invincible #1, you should be able to make some money on that. The dollar books as well although the guy selling them is a collector selling his collection and not really a dealer, but at least you made some money off him since that seems to be your criteria for a good dealer; someone who you can buy from and resell at a profit.

Just FYI, Duncanville books and Ricks Comics as well as myself don't price our books to sell to flippers or people like you who are just out to buy something they can make a profit on. That doesn't make us bad dealers, just businessmen. Our bottom lines at the end of the shows we do just proves we have a lot of fairly priced books, maybe not what you would pay but between us I know we have 50+ years of doing shows and we are still in the business with many many loyal customers so I think our prices are just fine.

You may very well be a nice guy, but you are out of line blasting people on here just because their prices are higher than you want to pay. Juvenile and immature dude.

And lastly, I'm Black Cat Comics and I'm not set up at the show; as accurate as the rest of your post. Stop by at the next show and get more of my great customer service.

Cheers :

Epic Justice Collectibles for all the old back issued for a buck! Red Sonja, Crisis on Infinite Earths and Nova

Jeers

Ricks Comic Crypt for possibly be a front for Mile High Comics. I don't know how to explain the "Mile High Pricing".

Show is doing better on attendance than expected. It was harder to get through the crowds this year.

I'm glad my prices are good. Praising my customer service however has got to be a mistake. I can't remember ever being nice to anyone who decided to trash the prices of a couple of friends of mine.

Nice job on the Invincible #1, you should be able to make some money on that. The dollar books as well although the guy selling them is a collector selling his collection and not really a dealer, but at least you made some money off him since that seems to be your criteria for a good dealer; someone who you can buy from and resell at a profit.

Just FYI, Duncanville books and Ricks Comics as well as myself don't price our books to sell to flippers or people like you who are just out to buy something they can make a profit on. That doesn't make us bad dealers, just businessmen. Our bottom lines at the end of the shows we do just proves we have a lot of fairly priced books, maybe not what you would pay but between us I know we have 50+ years of doing shows and we are still in the business with many many loyal customers so I think our prices are just fine.

You may very well be a nice guy, but you are out of line blasting people on here just because their prices are higher than you want to pay. Juvenile and immature dude.

And lastly, I'm Black Cat Comics and I'm not set up at the show; as accurate as the rest of your post. Stop by at the next show and get more of my great customer service.

^^

Cheers :

Jeers

Not exactly sure why we get singled out like this. We had over 70 boxes of dollar comics with over 30 of them from 1980 and older. We had over 80 boxes of half price silver and bronze age comics including War, Western, Marvel DC, Dell, Gold Key and more. We also had 15 boxes of Silver, Bronze, Copper and Modern keys and variants that we were selling at 25% off. Finally, we had over 500 wall books on display with another 10 boxes full out on the table. We had, by far, the largest selection of comic books in that room and should have had something for every budget, unless you were looking for high grade, hot keys heavily discounted so you could make a profit. If you were looking for that, I may not have been your dealer but I am still not sure we deserved a "Jeer". Whenever anyone from the boards have identified themselves, I have always offered to give them a discount. I have tried to build my business around providing the best books I can find to the collectors who are looking for them. I rarely get dealer money or speculator money at a show but that is fine because that is short term money. I am looking to build a long term customer base built on collectors.

As far as the comment about Rick's Comic Crypt goes, I think that is way out of line. Rick and his wife are great people who are trying to build a business of their own. I have seen Rick sell plenty of books on here so his prices may not be as extreme as you claim. Again, here is a fellow board member that goes out of his way to treat other board members well and he gets called out by someone who didn't get a book cheap enough to flip it. I thought this board was a community of collectors that supported each other not point fingers and bash one another.

Cheers :

Jeers

Not exactly sure why we get singled out like this. We had over 70 boxes of dollar comics with over 30 of them from 1980 and older. We had over 80 boxes of half price silver and bronze age comics including War, Western, Marvel DC, Dell, Gold Key and more. We also had 15 boxes of Silver, Bronze, Copper and Modern keys and variants that we were selling at 25% off. Finally, we had over 500 wall books on display with another 10 boxes full out on the table. We had, by far, the largest selection of comic books in that room and should have had something for every budget, unless you were looking for high grade, hot keys heavily discounted so you could make a profit. If you were looking for that, I may not have been your dealer but I am still not sure we deserved a "Jeer". Whenever anyone from the boards have identified themselves, I have always offered to give them a discount. I have tried to build my business around providing the best books I can find to the collectors who are looking for them. I rarely get dealer money or speculator money at a show but that is fine because that is short term money. I am looking to build a long term customer base built on collectors.

As far as the comment about Rick's Comic Crypt goes, I think that is way out of line. Rick and his wife are great people who are trying to build a business of their own. I have seen Rick sell plenty of books on here so his prices may not be as extreme as you claim. Again, here is a fellow board member that goes out of his way to treat other board members well and he gets called out by someone who didn't get a book cheap enough to flip it. I thought this board was a community of collectors that supported each other not point fingers and bash one another.

^^

Cheers :

Jeers

+1, DBS

So, one day removed from the show...... Still tired, but slogging through a normal work day. The show was a solid selling show. I thought people were spending money, and the mix of $1 book revenue to wall book revenue was about 50/50. Usually at this show, my top individual book sales are about $10-20, but I sold quite a few $40-$50 books/sets, as well as selling my Avengers #2 cgc ® 7.0. A hot book at the show was the new Thor #1. I sold about 6 copies at between $8-10 (regular and variant). And had a lot more people asking for it. Death of Wolverine Variants were also highly sought, but it was the rarer variants, and most widely available variants were passed over. Set sales were strong, as most of the sets were priced under what the trade would cost. Quite a few comic dealers in the room, with some silver age represented, and bronze through modern being the bulk of the books.

Most of the main celeb talent cancelled (probably from the ebola scare), but the promoters added a few late additions, and all the attendees seemed happy. Mike Zeck was there all three days, and quite a few people were buying books to have them signed (secret wars and punisher mini's were top requests).

All in all, I was very happy with the show. Booked my booth again for February, and it looks like I'll be in the same spot (hopefully). To all that stopped by, Thank you! See you in February!

(mysterio in the pictures)

fandays1.JPG

fandays2.JPG

Here are a few more photos to add to the report:

The Irving Convention Center, which I still think looks like a Sandcrawler.

ICC.jpg

A panoramic of the floor setup a few minutes before VIPs were admitted on Friday afternoon. The tables to the right were for the artists and some celebs.

Setup.jpg

Some of the artists in attendance. From top to bottom, Simon Bisley, Clayton Crain, and Mike Zeck.

Bisley.jpg

Crain.jpg

Zeck.jpg

And a few costumes that I thought were pretty good:

RedSkull.jpg

ScarletSpider.jpg

TMNT.jpg

DocOck.jpg

Psylocke.jpgPsylocke2.jpg