• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Lantern: Rebirth #1 1st printing sold out at DC

38 posts in this topic

I'm not surprised, on Friday I went to the biggest store in TO (the Silver Snail) and they had 80 copies on the rack with no limit per person. I picked up two really nice copies to get Ethan Van Sciver to sign for me in Dallas next weekend.

Having a 1/customer ratio and still having 20 copies available will ensure that your store will be able to provide for interested parties for at least another couple of days or weeks. Sellouts are nice for the seller, but you also have to be able to provide your customers with the product they want or they will look elsewhere and find someone else who does. If they hear about that great Green Lantern series on the internet and come in looking for it, if you don't have it, you've lost a potential buyer of that book.

That's why I qualified the DC press release by saying there are going to be lots of copies around this week. My LCS didn't order enough, and by not ordering enough he's inadvertantly sent his customers out to other stores to obtain their copies, as I did.

I'm not surprised, on Friday I went to the biggest store in TO (the Silver Snail) and they had 80 copies on the rack with no limit per person. I picked up two really nice copies to get Ethan Van Sciver to sign for me in Dallas next weekend.

Having a 1/customer ratio and still having 20 copies available will ensure that your store will be able to provide for interested parties for at least another couple of days or weeks. Sellouts are nice for the seller, but you also have to be able to provide your customers with the product they want or they will look elsewhere and find someone else who does. If they hear about that great Green Lantern series on the internet and come in looking for it, if you don't have it, you've lost a potential buyer of that book.

That's why I qualified the DC press release by saying there are going to be lots of copies around this week. My LCS didn't order enough, and by not ordering enough he's inadvertantly sent his customers out to other stores to obtain their copies, as I did.

My Not so Local LCS had one on reserve for me but non more on shelves!

Nice Read.. poor black hand

I would not be to surprised to see in about a few week a graded copy cgc at a 9.9 or higher on Ebay with Rebirth #1.... makepoint.gif

AND after that

10 copies, or more, up for auction at cost

gotta get rid of the rejects somehow!

kinda skews the sales figures a bit, don't ya think?

I mean, how many people really bought one, and how many cases were bought for pre screening?

sign-rantpost.gif

AND after that

10 copies, or more, up for auction at cost ...gotta get rid of the rejects somehow!

kinda skews the sales figures a bit, don't ya think?

I mean, how many people really bought one, and how many cases were bought for pre screening?

Well, I don't know how many regular books go in for pre-screening these days, but how many dealers/companies do that on a large scale anymore? Sure, you have Colossus...

I would safely say that Green Lantern: Rebirth #1 has about the same, or less, interest than DC's last big hit - Identity Crisis.

Identity Crisis #1

9.8 - 176

9.6 - 102

9.4 - 3

------------

Total 281

(+8 signature series copies)

I don't know how many were rejected for pre-screen, but we aren't talking thousands of copies... hundreds maybe.

Now IC 1 came out in June, and modern tier is now further along than that. I don't know how much time pre-screening affects turnaround times, but I don't think there would be that many left to go.

So no, I don't think skews the sales figures at all. Let's be generous and say that CGC grading sold an additional 1000 copies for DC (out of a print run of 175,000). That's a pretty small percentage.

I enjoyed this book but don't really understand the HJ story yet. Could someone recommend a read to me so that I can fully understand what happened to Hal Jordan?

Emerald Twilight (Green Lantern 48-50), that's where Hal went nuts after the destruction of Coast City.

Zero Hour (4,3,2,1,0) detailed Hal's attempts to reshape the time stream.

Final Night (1-4 + Parallax special) Hal sacrifices himself to defeat the sun-eater and reignite the sun, saving the earth in the process.

Day of Judgment (1-4) The ghost of Hal Jordan merges with God's spirit of Vengeance to become the new Spectre.

Those are the highlights. There have been subsequent issues of Green Lantern, Green Arrow and JLA that also tie in, plus the Spectre had his own series for a while which spun out of a 3-issue arc in Legends of the DCU..

I'm not surprised, on Friday I went to the biggest store in TO (the Silver Snail) and they had 80 copies on the rack with no limit per person.

That's why I qualified the DC press release by saying there are going to be lots of copies around this week.

Went to my LCS on Friday and picked up my copy off the newsstand. The shop still had over 50 copies left on the shelves without any limit to a customer. Went to a couple of other shops on the weekend and they also had some copies left on their shelves. Question: Is there really a need for a second print here? confused-smiley-013.gif

The DC book that actually seem a lot more difficult to obtain was Flash #215 with the Identity Crisis tie-in storyline. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Question: Is there really a need for a second print here?

The DC book that actually seem a lot more difficult to obtain was Flash #215 with the Identity Crisis tie-in storyline.

Since most stores don't swap their stock, then yes there is. If they can't reorder the first printing then they want the second on hand to sell to interested customers. If your store didn't sell out, then yes, there's no need for them to reorder it - unless their customers specifically order the 2nd print for the new cover.

As for Flash 215 (and 214), DC hasn't sold out of the overprint and it can still be reordered thru Diamond.

Well, I don't know how many regular books go in for pre-screening these days, but how many dealers/companies do that on a large scale anymore? Sure, you have Colossus...

There are three or four that I can think of. If people really think that three or four dealers are buying enough for pre-screens to actually skew new book numbers...

Regular speculation I won't argue against, it's certainly a boost to sales (although I don't think it's the answer to every sales blip that some paint it as) but I've seen the spectre (pun intented) or pre-screening mentioned as a boost to sales here before and it just doesn't jibe with the actual number of graded books out there.

I would safely say that Green Lantern: Rebirth #1 has about the same, or less, interest than DC's last big hit - Identity Crisis.

Identity Crisis #1

9.8 - 176

9.6 - 102

9.4 - 3

------------

Total 281

(+8 signature series copies)

I don't know how many were rejected for pre-screen, but we aren't talking thousands of copies... hundreds maybe.

Now IC 1 came out in June, and modern tier is now further along than that. I don't know how much time pre-screening affects turnaround times, but I don't think there would be that many left to go.

So no, I don't think skews the sales figures at all. Let's be generous and say that CGC grading sold an additional 1000 copies for DC (out of a print run of 175,000). That's a pretty small percentage.

Triple it to 3000 or 5000 (ridiculous numbers, IMO) and it's STILL a small percentage.

I had the pleasure to speak with Geoff on the phone yesterday. Look for some signings in the future, I hope... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

He is a great guy and it was very nice to have the oppertunity to talk to him on the phone. I tried my best not to geek-out, but I think I lost it when we talked about Flash 215 & Rebirth...

this is such a cool job... cloud9.gif

I went to an LCS this past Sunday, and they still had two or three copies left. They were having a big sale on their back issues, so I got a bunch of those instead.

Buy it NOW! mad.gifsumo.gif

Or else I'll tell you to buy it AGAIN! crazy.gif

Buy it NOW! mad.gifsumo.gif

Or else I'll tell you to buy it AGAIN! crazy.gif

lol! I'll just wait for the TPB.

Buy now!

Sel on ebay when value is high!

Double or Triple your money

Buy trades with profit

I did that for the Thor oeming run