• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What you thought CGC was "PERFECT"?

18 posts in this topic

After perusing through the latest threads on the Heritage resub's, I wanted to express some of my opinions into the mix.

What I have been saying on this board from the get go is that CGC does make grading mistakes and that you need to buy the book NOT the label.

Resubs are very common,...Do you think those census numbers are correct? Forget it...There are a TON of ghost books out there.

Here is ONE example of a grading fubar on their part...You tell me what you think of this. Keep in mind these scans were not done with the same scanner. But I think you eagle eyed guys won't have any problem noting distinguishing characteristics. WHERE IS FF!!! lol...

asm4cgc85.jpg

Pretty damn nice looking 8.5 eh? From my personal experience CGC has a tough time with this particular grade. This is a perfect example of what I mean by that.

So is it an 8.5? I sure as hell did not think so. So naturally it was resubmitted.

ASM4CGC90.jpg

Wow a full grade higher...HUH?

Well book in hand is even nicer , so I still contested it.

And on the third submission....

4CGC92.jpg

I do not necesarily believe that there is preferential treatment given to particular dealers, but I can tell you this, I have seen and sold alot of the "big boys" books and many were grossly overgraded.

Personally I have had the best luck when submitting with STRATEGY.

Well that's enough rambling for today...

This is actually what I plan on doing sometime. Gonna try to buy a SOLID low # ASM in VF+, and see if I can get it resub'd up to 9.2

Will obviously have to find ones that have big scans so I can see the book. I think VF+ to NM- is feasible, but it shouldn't be very often.

Btw, your 4 9.2 is a bit nicer, from the front at least, then mine frown.gif

Brian

I pregraded it a 9.4, maybe I should resub it again? smile.gif

If you are looking for a potential resub candidate , you can't base that on a scan. You have to see the book in hand , and verify the grader notes.

These holders "conceal" alot of damage, especially when scanned.

Personally I have had the best luck when submitting with STRATEGY.

Any chance of you sharing that strategy Matt?

Were you not even a little worried that when you resubbed the book the second time that it may come back as an 8.5 again??

Nice book by the way. grin.gif One of my favourite early Spideys.

Blowout....

Call me a gambling man by nature...Plus when you have a NM early silverage copy in your hands out of the CGC holder your perspective might be different.

The book was erroneously misgraded, no question.

And this was not my first resubmission by any means so I have some experience in the matter.

Although right before opening the box to check out the grade I did get a little tight in the sphincter area...lol

I'll PM you with some Strategy... wink.gif

You know, as long as CGC's grading is as in consistent as the example shows, the whole CGC grading system is a big joke. Words gonna spread on how inconsistent their grading is and eventually it won't mean nothin'. I mean, I can certainly grade as inconsistently as they do, but at least it doesn't cost me anything. Paying for the service? Only if you're selling. This is not a service for a collector who keeps his comics. All he's paying for is someone's opinion that seems to change from day to day. What a waste of money.

Don't misinterpret my post.

In a whole I think that CGC is consistent with their grading, just as with any business there will be some exceptions.

In this case, a relatively extreme one as we are talking a couple grades difference.

I firmly believe that the VF+ grade is a TOUGH one to call, and even the experts have some difficulty at times with this particular grade.

Really what I was trying to emphasize, especially to the newer members is don't buy the label, buy the book.

Nothing that most of you don't know already.

CGC provides a very valuable service to the comic community , if not just for their restoration check. I will continue to submit those books that I want to sell, and wait until and improved holder for my own books. But that's another thread altogether smile.gif

Thank you for explaining. I agreed that if you were selling, getting a comic CGC'd (especially if it's hi-grade) is a valuable service. The only point I was making was if a collector wanted to get the book CGC'd with no intention of selling it just to see what CGC THOUGHT it was, that was a waste of money. Your paying for the "opinion of grade" that's all. Well worth it if you're selling, but not if you're keeping the comic.

Well worth it if you're selling, but not if you're keeping the comic.

Some on the board disagree with that sentiment (AK for example) and like to have the book 'verified' by CGC. I don't buy into that philosophy though as it is too early to say wether CGC will become an industry standard as far as grading gooes.

There is some merit in getting your books slabbed for archival storage purposes, although as Notch Top has pointed out in the past the holders are not without their problems. shocked.gif

I completely agree with the keep it raw philosophy. (On a couple different levels , mind you blush.gif )

I do not need CGC's opinion on the books I am "holding". But I do like their restoration check and the cgc LABEL increases liquidity.

I have been one of the few sellers on Ebay that was selling high grade raw books at multiples. Those were the times I needed to fund some cash quick and could not wait for CGC.

That was a big mistake....As I did realize a good price for what I had into the book. Those that bought raw and slabbed from me, made a hefty profit margin on most of the books sold.

Since then all my high grade auctions are graded.

So if you want to assure that your collection is not restored, and want to be able to sell some books fast in a pinch at a good price , I say get them graded.

But as Blowout mentioned , the cgc holder is imperfect in design. SO store them correctly after you have them graded.

JMHO

M

Well there's always going to be certain factors that will effect different grades. I'd guess 6 times out of 10 a 9.8 would come back as a 9.8 and not as something else. When you get really picky and give a perfect book a 9.4, then obviously there's going to be stuff in an upper echelon that doesn't look as good (b/c despite what a label says, it isn't.)

Brian

"Some on the board disagree with that sentiment (AK for example) and like to have the book 'verified' by CGC. I"

Again, it isn't so much about CGC's "verification". Like we already discussed, I'm not a "collector" in the traditional sense. I have a personal collection, but there's always a price on any given book. I do not publish what I have, but if someone were over at my place, looking at my collection, they could get peice of it for the right price, even if I had no intention of selling. I already conceded that if a person is 100% positive they will never sell a book, then there's no reason to slab.