• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Sandman 1 1989

8 posts in this topic

It's at least a 9.4 but I'm going with 9.6 because I only see two tiny non color breaking spine ticks on the back cover. Great Looking Copy!

Does CGC actually deduct for non color breaking spine ticks? I have numerous 9.8's and have seen countless others with actual color breaking spine ticks. Sometimes 3 or 4 even. I think they will let a book get away with those now, as long as they are just "ticks" and not actual reader creases. Especially since a lot of those little ticks are already there when the book is manufactured (like a bindery tear). A book isn't perfect or "mint" at a 9.8, it is only NM/M. Therefore certain minor flaws are allowed.

I think that his Sandman #1 has a shot at a 9.8.

-J.

Does CGC actually deduct for non color breaking spine ticks?

Yes, they do.

I think they will let a book get away with those now, as long as they are just "ticks" and not actual reader creases. Especially since a lot of those little ticks are already there when the book is manufactured (like a bindery tear).

You're confusing bindery tears with regular spine ticks - bindery tears only happen at the top & bottom of the spine and are a production defect. Spine ticks anywhere else are from handling (not manufacturing) and are penalized just like any other defect.

Yes, they do.

I think they will let a book get away with those now, as long as they are just "ticks" and not actual reader creases. Especially since a lot of those little ticks are already there when the book is manufactured (like a bindery tear).

You're confusing bindery tears with regular spine ticks - bindery tears only happen at the top & bottom of the spine and are a production defect. Spine ticks anywhere else are from handling (not manufacturing) and are penalized just like any other defect.

Got you. So what sort of defects does CGC allow in a 9.8? Because again, a 9.8 book is not going to be a "perfect" or mint book.

-J.

Yes, they do.

Got you. So what sort of defects does CGC allow in a 9.8? Because again, a 9.8 book is not going to be a "perfect" or mint book.

That's correct - CGC usually allows a single, small color-breaking spine tick in 9.8 or a couple of ncb's. Anything more than that and it usually means the book was graded during one of their loose periods.

Yes, they do.

That's correct - CGC usually allows a single, small color-breaking spine tick in 9.8 or a couple of ncb's. Anything more than that and it usually means the book was graded during one of their loose periods.

Thank you for the clarification mSchmidt. (thumbs u

-J.