• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Putting together a FULL CGC 9.8 run of New Mutants X-Factor & X-force by oceanavekid

27 posts in this topic

only the best

Im in the process of putting together full VOL 1 CGC 9.8 runs of

New Mutants

X Factor

X Force

My three favorite series growing up. Ill probably spend more getting the full runs than ill be able to sell them for and Im okay with that. Its more about collecting the books I used to read as a kid. Getting full runs of the three is easier said than done. Even tho these series sold millions of books, people still want to charge an arm and a leg for issues that really arent worth much, Which is something I expected from the start.

So far I have

X Factor #6 & #24 9.8 Issue #5 is at CGC just have to wait and see if it gets 9.8

New Mutants #1 9.8

I have a few raw that might grade 9.8, but i'm sure I could find the issues I have already i'n 9.8 and pay about the same and for sure get the 9.8 grade.

I hope by the end of 2014 to have all three runs complete

See more journals by oceanavekid

Wow, very impressive goal. How many issues in the 3 titles, around 500? If you go modern at $18 each, you're at close to $10K just for grading, and that doesn't include the cost of buying the comics, and also the risk of not getting 9.8s (which probably won't be easy for the earlier issues). If you instead buy already graded 9.8s, it could be alot more expensive. I hope you'll give us regular reports on your progress, it'll be fascinating to vicariously experience it with you. Best of luck!

Did someone say X-Force....?

Wow,

First off good luck. Those are three serious sets to be built whether it be from already graded to raw (and there will be a ton of them) submissions. For me I was going for a few here a few there as far as submissions but have finally jumped in with the pre-grading and just sending in little over 50. Hopefully all goes well with that set and my eye is at least somewhere near but expecting somewhere in the range of 35 conservatively to be graded while the rest returned to me.

Can't wait to see your progress over the next year.

Yeah it's going to cost a lot of Cash

X-Force 129

X-Factor 149

New Mutants 100

= 378 issues

Money i'll probably never see out of these books and i'm okay with that. they're my 3 favorite comic series and i'd like to own all in 9.8. I could have chosen early spiderman or avengers issues something I could get my money back out of, but it really wouldn't have meant half as much to me. I'm a fan of the series and want to do something no one has done before. I was going to add Alpha flight, but decided to hold off on that one for now (:

So far today I already bought

New Mutants #1

X-Force #2 and #11 ( two of the most expensive in the whole run )

I already have

X Factor #6 & #24 in 9.8 hopefully my copy of #5 will also get 9.8 only time will tell

I started a few days early 378 is a lot of issues to get. I know some aren't even on the census, so sooner or later i'll have to buy RAW copies and send them in & prey they get 9.8

This is only the beginning

Did someone say X-Force....?

Wow,

First off good luck. Those are three serious sets to be built whether it be from already graded to raw (and there will be a ton of them) submissions. For me I was going for a few here a few there as far as submissions but have finally jumped in with the pre-grading and just sending in little over 50. Hopefully all goes well with that set and my eye is at least somewhere near but expecting somewhere in the range of 35 conservatively to be graded while the rest returned to me.

Can't wait to see your progress over the next year.

Hell yeah Cable is my all time favorite comic character Punisher comes a close 2nd

I see you have a huge head start. Maybe one day i'll catch up to you ;)

It's nice to find someone other than myself that appreciates this series

Was your #1 still in the original poly bag when you sent it in?

well looks like someone might already have me beat on the full run of new mutants in 9.8 he's only missing 2 issues :o

I think i'd have an easier time catching up to the guy that has the best X Factor set

He's only 57% complete. Either way Nobody has 100% finished a full run of

X Factor

Alpha flight

new mutants or

X Force

Maybe i'll finish them first

maybe I won't

only time will tell

Either way I'd like to have a full 9.8 run of each

:whee:

Hell yeah Cable is my all time favorite comic character Punisher comes a close 2nd

I see you have a huge head start. Maybe one day i'll catch up to you ;)

It's nice to find someone other than myself that appreciates this series

Was your #1 still in the original poly bag when you sent it in?

Yep,

Cable has and always will be my favorite character in Marvel. Behind him come a bunch more but for collecting purposes I'm all about Cable and anything with the name X-Force in it. As for collecting X-Force itself some quick places to look to build a starter kit for it is over at World Wide Comics wwcomics.com Last I saw they still had a hand full and at really good prices $25-$35 range.

Biggest thing with X-Force, once you get away from Capullo's run on the series it becomes extremely hard to find graded. After looking at Wizard World Austin and what I got signed there by Capullo and Mark Miller I should have roughly 62 in at CGC with most up for pregrading for 9.8 only. All of them are single submissions only, so my stance may improve a little. Still a ton of OAK's and open slots without having ever been graded in that collection.

Hopefully one day I can pull off what tnerb and bagofleas have done with there New Mutant collections. I do have to say the two issues you mentioned currently lacking in there sets are all also two issues that have yet to have seen a 9.8.

New Mutants is going to be where you spend your money though. Graphic Novel 4, #16, #87, #98 Annual #2 will be where most of your dollars are going to be going to aside from grading fees.

Anyways good luck, and looking forward to more friendly competition throughout the next year.

Yeah, the journals' own tnerb and bagofleas have been rocking the New Mutants set for a few years. They're pretty much the Team Supreme of that one, missing only two issues (#58 and Annual 4) from their sets of 9.8 and up. If they've dropped another issue, it's because they cracked it to get Signature Series and it didn't make it back as a 9.8. It'll take a lot to overcome those guys, especially with their 9.9 and 10.0 #1s.

Also, don't overlook the challenge of New Mutants 98 in 9.8. There are always some for sale, but it'll set you back several hundred dollars, if not more.

Honestly if your ever going to look for a NM 98 at 9.8 I would check over in the Selling forum on here before venturing else where. Many more have deals here which can assist financially and many are even willing to do payment plans.

Honestly if your ever going to look for a NM 98 at 9.8 I would check over in the Selling forum on here before venturing else where. Many more have deals here which can assist financially and many are even willing to do payment plans.

So Far only got one PM from a guy selling #87 for 295 and #98 for 400

I never thought to ask about a payment plan

There aren't a lot of 9.8s from these runs out there, just because the demand hasn't pushed the selling price above the cost of submission.

Most people who have slabbed these books did so for their own gratification and are not selling. If I could buy high-grade X-Factor for $1-2 all day long, why bother spending $20 or so (including shipping to/from) to get them graded unless it's for my own registry set, in which case they're not for sale.

I think these are attainable goals, but I think it will take a lot longer than you expect, barring some massive pre-screen submissions from yourself. Personally you might consider just accumulating these runs raw. I've completed Excalibur, New Mutants, All-Star Squadron, New Teen Titans/Tales of the Teen Titans, Green Arrow (Vol II), Demon (Vol II), Hitman, Sandman, Hellblazer, Animal Man, Transmetropolitan and a few more in raw, not because I wouldn't love to have them slabbed but because it just isn't worth the trouble/expense. Instead of slabbing some sweet Brian Bolland cover art on those Animal Man, I can spend the money filling in Saga of the Swamp Thing.

I admit it is a lot of fun to be #1 in a registry set though.

There aren't a lot of 9.8s from these runs out there, just because the demand hasn't pushed the selling price above the cost of submission.

Most people who have slabbed these books did so for their own gratification and are not selling. If I could buy high-grade X-Factor for $1-2 all day long, why bother spending $20 or so (including shipping to/from) to get them graded unless it's for my own registry set, in which case they're not for sale.

I think these are attainable goals, but I think it will take a lot longer than you expect, barring some massive pre-screen submissions from yourself. Personally you might consider just accumulating these runs raw. I've completed Excalibur, New Mutants, All-Star Squadron, New Teen Titans/Tales of the Teen Titans, Green Arrow (Vol II), Demon (Vol II), Hitman, Sandman, Hellblazer, Animal Man, Transmetropolitan and a few more in raw, not because I wouldn't love to have them slabbed but because it just isn't worth the trouble/expense. Instead of slabbing some sweet Brian Bolland cover art on those Animal Man, I can spend the money filling in Saga of the Swamp Thing.

I admit it is a lot of fun to be #1 in a registry set though.

See to YOU it isn't worth it

To me it's totally worth it. I really don't mind spending the money

If you read my earlier posts, I'm aware I'll never see what I spent out of any of the three series and I'm okay with that. I even said I was going to do alpha flight. It's not about the money it's about my love for the series & my love for the characters. It may seem like a waste to some, but to me it's more than worth the time & money.

Oceanavekid good luck with your collection. I am a wolverine completists (1988-2014). I currently have about 396 out of the 481 in Cgc 9.8. It has taken me over 6 years to get what I have, so you may need to give yourself a little more time then a year. My best advise I could give you is find the raw issues and submit them as a 9.8 pre-screen. Then pay close attention to what the rejected books look like as well as the 9.8 graded books. This will help you learn what to look for when buying raw books. Like other people have said most of the middle of the run issues are not available for sale as 9.8 so you will need to submit them for yourself.

Also all shops near me are all dried up for wolverine back issues that I need, if you would like I might be able to help you track down back issues if you could help me track down what I need