• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, what's you're (comic) resolution (do tell)??

137 posts in this topic

I'm hoping I only (or mostly) buy trades this year for reading pleasure only. I started out only collecting Adams Bats, but that got expanded a little bit to where I started buying other early BA books. Same for Barry Smith Conans. Spent WAY more $$$ on this hobby than I ever intended.

Less minor keys. More major keys.

Essentially, stop buying ten lesser books and save and have patience for one or two "big books".

:grin:

It's not for everyone, but it's a great thing to try at least once. I did it twice (circa 2009-10), and in both cases 1) I'm still very happy with the big purchases and 2) they would likely be completely out of reach for me with today's prices & my current comic budget.

i really have to get over the "number in the upper left hand corner" bias i tend to place upon myself.

More "buy the book, not the holder" mentality, as this is a hobby for me.

When i can get a nice looking 9.6 for 50%+ less then the same book in a 9.8, i have to continue to do so, and not worry about it so much.

Get my collection organized. Figure out gaps in my runs (for example, do I have a complete set of Conan? I might, but I have never checked!) Cull down situations where I have 5-10 copies of some book. It would be nice to be able to find I want when I wanrt.

1- finish bagging the bulk stuff

2- make a current list of what I own

3- shorten my want list, and finish runs I've been putting off

4- not be tempted to compete with the cherrypickers and elitist snobs for keys, and end up overpaying

fewer books

better books

This is my mantra from day one. :applause:

You're the only one who's actually pulled it off

This is what everyone says...all the time. "I want a big key rather than a bunch of smaller keys." Or "eliminate my pull list and get keys" or something like that. But no one seems to mention the fact that collecting runs and smaller keys and monthlies is super fun. Many times much, much more enjoyable than saving for 6 months and buying one big book. Isn't a hobby about fun? Enjoyment? Satisfaction? Does it always have to be about dollars and cents?

And buying multiple little keys can be just as financially savvy as buying a big one. Or more so. More diversification. Admittedly more work as well if you have to sell.

Point is, I want to have a collection that is valuable, but I also want to enjoy putting it together. And you can't read and re-read your Hulk 1 sitting behind its archival-safe plastic.

Now, I do have some decent keys (no majors yet) that are graded, and I do enjoy knowing they are tucked away in my collection, but I'm going to buy what I can afford and what I enjoy. And however that equation works for you, I hope you squeeze as much fun and satisfaction out of this hobby that you can.

I had wrote my resolutions a few days ago:

1) Complete the series "Little Dot's Uncles and Aunts" in high grades within the year 2014.

2) Try to buy one MEGA-key comic book within the year 2014: (3 choices) :sumo:

3) Try to build a new comic book wooden cabinet to hold CGC-sized slabs in drawers by the spring season ready. Must be solid wood only (hardware for to pull/push drawers).

4) Try to buy raw 10 GA/SA/BA comics per month. Focus to complete 2-3 other sets then move on for mini-keys.

5) Stay focus only on these above, no more dreks! lol

6) Keep my good job, work hard and be happy with what I have around.

That is enough for now ... no need to go over-nuts too much :banana:, there is always next year!

I don't think my goals are going to be very popular. I have some very specific books I want to chase down this year. Outside of those specific books I don't plan on purchasing any other comics. The best way for me to avoid all those other great books is spend a lot less time here and on ebay so those are sub goals. :lol: I'm on here to chase one of those books today if this seems counter to my goals....

I don't think my goals are going to be very popular. I have some very specific books I want to chase down this year. Outside of those specific books I don't plan on purchasing any other comics. The best way for me to avoid all those other great books is spend a lot less time here and on ebay so those are sub goals. :lol: I'm on here to chase one of those books today if this seems counter to my goals....

lol I think the real truth here is that I have a good feeling that there's a bit more of us here about to act on what you're going to do THIS year. I'm not gonna reveal what specific books I want to chase down. I'm sure that there's at least about a dozen or more guys having the same thoughts.

All the more fun in hunting around here and :baiting: each other!

Happy New Year! (thumbs u

fewer books

better books

This is my mantra from day one. :applause:

You're the only one who's actually pulled it off

This is what everyone says...all the time. "I want a big key rather than a bunch of smaller keys." Or "eliminate my pull list and get keys" or something like that. But no one seems to mention the fact that collecting runs and smaller keys and monthlies is super fun. Many times much, much more enjoyable than saving for 6 months and buying one big book. Isn't a hobby about fun? Enjoyment? Satisfaction? Does it always have to be about dollars and cents?

And buying multiple little keys can be just as financially savvy as buying a big one. Or more so. More diversification. Admittedly more work as well if you have to sell.

Point is, I want to have a collection that is valuable, but I also want to enjoy putting it together. And you can't read and re-read your Hulk 1 sitting behind its archival-safe plastic.

Now, I do have some decent keys (no majors yet) that are graded, and I do enjoy knowing they are tucked away in my collection, but I'm going to buy what I can afford and what I enjoy. And however that equation works for you, I hope you squeeze as much fun and satisfaction out of this hobby that you can.

We all know it's about the thrill of the chase.Hunting down a big elephant like a Hulk 1 is just as satisfying if not more so than bagging a couple of weekly floppies.

I get it we all collect in our own ways,and we all enjoy in our own way.

Peace be with you brother. :foryou: