• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should pedigreed books not be signed?

122 posts in this topic

Many here are outraged at the practice.

Many here do it all the time.

What I don't understand is why the SS program doesn't make the switch to pencil.

Why use sharpies? Makes zero sense to me these days. Use a soft tip pencil. 2c

Personally I feel writing on a true rare/unique book that survived 50 plus years to be in poor taste. That being said any low grade / common books getting SS I don't mind at all, and I always love finding an old school signed splash page.

+1

I like to think that I'm but the temporary owner of the comic books.

When I have something as unique as a pedigree or a lone high grade, or a uber rare book that never pops up... I leave it be. No pressing, no signing, no nothing...

cause it should leave my hands the same way it came into them.

Personally I feel writing on a true rare/unique book that survived 50 plus years to be in poor taste. That being said any low grade / common books getting SS I don't mind at all, and I always love finding an old school signed splash page.

+1

+2

I like to think that I'm but the temporary owner of the comic books.

When I have something as unique as a pedigree or a lone high grade, or a uber rare book that never pops up... I leave it be. No pressing, no signing, no nothing...

cause it should leave my hands the same way it came into them.

Well said. +1

I wouldn't have it signed. I understand the appeal of signed books as pop culture memorabilia, but the signature damages the book so the appeal of the book with respect to being a vintage/antique collectible has been diminished.

a lot of theses books got tender loving care for decades

the owners treated them with respect

If you want to ss your pedigree book I believe are disrespecting the Original Owner who sometimes put in most of a life time to get it to you

BUT

What if the OO signed it ?

a lot of theses books got tender loving care for decades

the owners treated them with respect

If you want to ss your pedigree book I believe are disrespecting the Original Owner who sometimes put in most of a life time to get it to you

BUT

What if the OO signed it ?

pish tosh

+1

+2

+3

While I'm personally against getting a pedigree book signed, there are interesting scenarios where a signature might change the pedigree for the better in the future. The first scenario is where the pedigree was signed by the original owner. The Billy Wright signed books are an example. Another scenario could be a "double pedigree" where a well known collection had a pedigree book signed by the collector. Might be nice to have a Nicolas Cage signed Northford Copy from his original collection. Having Stan Lee sign one of his file copies might be cooler to have than an unsigned copy.

Perhaps one approach would be to determine whether a pedigree could be signed would be to see if:

The "enhancement" of the history of the book signed is greater than the impact the signature has on the aesthetic qualities attributed to the pedigree.

Would the history of a River City copy with a Russ Heath cover be historically enhanced if his signature were subsequently placed over a written date that many of these books have - some in areas that depreciate the aesthetic beauty of the book?

After all, there are collectors (some boardies) today who are making "new" history by amassing great collections that may one day have the "From the Collection of..." recorded on the slab with the pedigree designation on slabs for posterity to collect and enjoy. A signature on a pedigree book from a collector making comic book history today might enhance the book 50 years from now. There are boardies who have sacrificed and spent countless hours amassing great collections and I'm happy and fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to add some of their books to my collection.

Nevertheless, while there might be instances where exceptions to signing a pedigree may exist, I would never recommend that the "Dentist" sign his MH Copy of Action Comics 1.

John