• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should pedigreed books not be signed?

122 posts in this topic

How does an autograph damage the book?

By adding non-original material to the book, like a booger or something. lol

A booger can be scraped off. Sharpie....not so much.

Dry erasure could remove a signature done with a soft pencil though. :juggle:

And I repeat... your opinion, not a fact. :eyeroll: To someone that collects autographs it's not considered damage in any way, shape or form.

Come on, Overstreet states they are damage, CGC states they are damage - who else is left to convince you?

The Yellow Sig Label is really a Qualified label that gets around the "writing is a defect" rule the same way a Green one does, by not taking it into account and using a specially-colored label.

:o

Exactly, whaddup Vince?

Perhaps the booger leaves a stain? Not all boogers are created equal.

lol That's a very helpful parallel.

:acclaim:

And I repeat... your opinion, not a fact. :eyeroll: To someone that collects autographs it's not considered damage in any way, shape or form.

Come on, Overstreet states they are damage, CGC states they are damage - who else is left to convince you?

The Yellow Sig Label is really a Qualified label that gets around the "writing is a defect" rule the same way a Green one does, by not taking it into account and using a specially-colored label.

And I repeat... your opinion, not a fact. To someone that collects autographs it's not considered damage in any way, shape or form.

Sure, but to CGC when they grade the physical condition of a comic book to assign a "Universal" grade, writing on the cover is considered damage whether it says "Stan Lee", or "Go Steelers!". That's a fact, and not an opinion in any way, shape, or form. (thumbs u

:blahblah: Sorry... you're never going to be able to convince me it's damage because to me it's not. I don't care what Overstreet, CGC, you or anyone else says. :foryou:

Does anybody remember this book, or thread?

Signed Pedigree comics make baby cry.

Good example, that book would get hammered if it was resubmitted for a blue label.

hey look its my thread! I forgot that someone PMed me saying they were offended that I used the "baby jesus" line (a'la Talladega Nights)

Have you tried using a soft pencil on a comic book cover? It doesn't stick without pushing down real hard on the pencil (which, in turn, would most likely damage the paper).

Welcome back Vince, and happy new year. :hi:

Exactly, whaddup Vince?

Hey guys, just got a little time off during the holidays, to which I am using some to transfer comic book cbr/cbz files to the iPad (and using Calibre to translate to the Kindle) and got a bit winsome for the forums.

I just got done re-reading the Byrne X-men run on the iPad, and :censored: those books are good. I used to buy them and immediately think "I can't believe these are only 35-cents" and I still feel the same way today - Claremont and Byrne sure gave a lot of bang for the buck.

Have you tried using a soft pencil on a comic book cover? It doesn't stick without pushing down real hard on the pencil (which, in turn, would most likely damage the paper).

I've tried to fix this on comics (penciled date marks), and at best it seems to fade slightly. I carefully burnish the other side of the signature with a burnishing tool/bone folder to "push" the paper back up, then dry clean the cover. It works for me, but it doesn't disappear completely. Helps with the presentation, though.

I've tried to fix this on comics (penciled date marks), and at best it seems to fade slightly. I carefully burnish the other side of the signature with a burnishing tool/bone folder to "push" the paper back up, then dry clean the cover. It works for me, but it doesn't disappear completely. Helps with the presentation, though.

I think you misunderstood ... I was referring to this post from the beyonder earlier in the thread:

What I don't understand is why the SS program doesn't make the switch to pencil.

Why use sharpies? Makes zero sense to me these days. Use a soft tip pencil. 2c

It doesn't make sense to use a soft tip pencil for SS because, in most cases, getting the pencil to stick on the cover would leave a hard impression in the paper.

He does this anytime anyone says anything remotely negative about SS. I'm not sure why he cares what others think? He's a fan of them. Others are not. It's not like any opinions are going to be changed.

Signed pedigree Avengers 1.

I do.

I shared an example, what I think was THE example of a book you should not have signed. 7 in 9.2, one higher. The higher grading copy is a 9.6 that has never been to market. Most of the other 9.2s have worse PQ and overall presentation. This book makes me want to puke.

cgc_tta_35_92_ss_4003.jpg

That makes me cringe too.

I think you misunderstood ... I was referring to this post from the beyonder earlier in the thread:

What I don't understand is why the SS program doesn't make the switch to pencil.

Why use sharpies? Makes zero sense to me these days. Use a soft tip pencil. 2c

It doesn't make sense to use a soft tip pencil for SS because, in most cases, getting the pencil to stick on the cover would leave a hard impression in the paper.

Oh gotcha - I do agree there. Using an softer lead really wouldn't work, and even if it were something softer than a standard 2H, it would damage the paper way more than a Sharpie. Plus, you're not able to write in pencil on a modern gloss cover stock.

And I repeat... your opinion, not a fact. To someone that collects autographs it's not considered damage in any way, shape or form.

Sure, but to CGC when they grade the physical condition of a comic book to assign a "Universal" grade, writing on the cover is considered damage whether it says "Stan Lee", or "Go Steelers!". That's a fact, and not an opinion in any way, shape, or form. (thumbs u

:blahblah: Sorry... you're never going to be able to convince me it's damage because to me it's not. I don't care what Overstreet, CGC, you or anyone else says. :foryou:

Gotcha. It's not damage because you say so. Okay.

So, it is damage just because they say so, when you can't find damage when you look at the book other than a thin layer of ink that wasn't there when the comic was printed?

I am not for or against either "side" here, but I do think that saying signing a comic (or anything made out of paper) with a Sharpie actually causes damage (same as ripping a page, or poking a hole in it, or getting a comic wet) is erroneous.

If there is proof to the contrary, I am not aware of it, and would gladly take the education if it exists.

-slym

Signed pedigree Avengers 1.

I do.

I shared an example, what I think was THE example of a book you should not have signed. 7 in 9.2, one higher. The higher grading copy is a 9.6 that has never been to market. Most of the other 9.2s have worse PQ and overall presentation. This book makes me want to puke.

cgc_tta_35_92_ss_4003.jpg

That makes me cringe too.

Thank you.

When I posted this before nobody responded to share in the misery of this.

So, it is damage just because they say so, when you can't find damage when you look at the book other than a thin layer of ink that wasn't there when the comic was printed?

I am not for or against either "side" here, but I do think that saying signing a comic (or anything made out of paper) with a Sharpie actually causes damage (same as ripping a page, or poking a hole in it, or getting a comic wet) is erroneous.

If there is proof to the contrary, I am not aware of it, and would gladly take the education if it exists.

-slym

Not that I want to take sides - but I think an autograph is damage. You are doing something to the book that cannot be undone and it does affect the function of the cover art: to effectivly convey a summary of the story contained within. Autographs, scribbling, etc on a fundamental level detracts from the art. Not in a big way, but it does take away from it, regardless of how nice the signature looks.

For me, I think "damage" is a pretty harsh word, but it does seem to fit how they are using it in grading.

-slym

Not that I want to take sides - but I think an autograph is damage. You are doing something to the book that cannot be undone and it does affect the function of the cover art: to effectivly convey a summary of the story contained within. Autographs, scribbling, etc on a fundamental level detracts from the art.

For me, I think "damage" is a pretty harsh word, but it does seem to fit how they are using it in grading.

Technically, an unverified signature is considered a "defect" - I think calling it damage is way too harsh. I wouldn't consider a price written in pen on the back of a book to be damage either.