• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do you buy and who do you trust

34 posts in this topic

I actually specialize in HG Copper/Modern books. (thumbs u While my site inventory currently consists of mostly keys and Bronze "run" issues, I have pallets worth of CA/MA that I will be uploading to the site over time. Want lists are always nice, but based on the sheer volume of my inventory, may take some time to fill.

Yeah, did the WTB section a few times and usually get cricket's. It's fine and doesn't bother me. Not the type who wants to incessently bump a thread every two days or so.

I tried a mycomicshop auction (Lonestar) for a RAW GFT issue listed at 9.8 raw condition thinking they would maybe be between 9.8 and 9.6 and came back a 9.0. I got it, its a little nit picking but I wanted to see if any others had an idea before I attempted to go for them again.

Another thing I wished LoneStar would do would be to have a location where I could go through there box's and not the small stores they have with a warehouse. That is unless I am missing something???

Never heard of Bankstons but will try it as well. I live around Fort Hood and have even traveled as far north as the Hastings up in Waco but due to not knowing that area I didn't know what to look for.

As for ABC yes I have tried both there and the side kick store as well and waded through there box's on an almost bi-weekly basis for high grades. Lately though some of what I am looking for looks like it belongs in the Side Kick location though.

Also tried in Killeen, America's Heroes, Comic Stan, and three locations in Temple... which the one old guy who owned the place beside the VA hospital seemed to think EVERYTHING he owned was Gem Mint prices...

I haven't yet made a trip to San Antonio nor Houston yet but willing to try Bedrock as well as I think its called Dragon's Liar. Not sure if they are anything like the store in Austin though as they don't carry any back issues.

And PM received replied and will look through and give more specific numbers once I comb through what I need based off of my little CLZ app.

Thanks for the help.

Bankstons is a really great shop. From the time I was 12 until I moved to Stephenville, I would drive up there every weekend and pick up my comics.

Always check out Hastings. Even if they tell you they don't have an issue, just look for it. They list so many of their comics as "Generic Back Issue" and they don't come up in their computer.

There's also a really good shop in Brownwood if you feel like driving that far.

Someone mentioned it above but have you tried Cons? Sounds like you've spent some significant time in shops and you might redirect your energy to Cons. I would think there are lots throughout the year in Dallas area.

2c

Tried Newkadia...not so much...Purchased something they stated as NM+ for it to come back an 8.....after being pressed.

I tried a mycomicshop auction (Lonestar) for a RAW GFT issue listed at 9.8 raw condition thinking they would maybe be between 9.8 and 9.6 and came back a 9.0.

I'm starting to see a pattern.

I think the basic consensus is to buy here and a few other shops that have come on to requests a list and seeing how everything is on my CLZ app shouldn't be to hard to compile an easy list. I understand some issues will garner more especially when getting into some of the earlier end of the Marvel universe ..dun dun duuuuun type stories they used to do with Inferno, Mutant Massacre, Fall of the Mutants but figure once I get to around the Phalanx Covenant and X-Cutioners Song series will start to flatten out a little.

Psithyrus, I appreciate it and sent a PM, will follow up tonight as well now that the wife has knocked out.

As for the WTB I figured that would be the issue. Jumping on and saying I want a New Mutants 98 or 87 or something to that effect generally garner a ton of responses but nickle and dime...50 cent and dollar typical issues which really only net $4 - $10 profit at low levels I can understand not being where most would jump on and say here this is what I have. I didn't throw much hope into that well and honestly didn't realize how much help would be garnered here. I do have to say I truly do appreciate this community.

As for the Brick and Mortar Lonestar store I honestly didn't know they separated or anything like it. Maybe if they did separate it will make it a little easier for me to email or click on my want lists there

With regards to ebay, I have been trying this for a while but usually find some places more miss than hit. Many over grade, and many only want to throw up stock photos and generally when that happens I simply bypass them and on to the next. Additionally if something comes to me in the mail that isn't close the point of me mailing it back and requesting for a refund usually means I just paid for the comic itself only to look at it and say "nah". At that point I will have spent $5 - 10 in shipping alone and would rather give them off as readers to the kids for there enjoyment.

Sharp - Thank you sir and will get a list together for you.

And I would say about that time, I was a broke private in the Army who simply cared about drinking, training, and getting laid.... Not in that order though.

I do have to say Hastings has been a good spot to pick from time to time. While many almost make me want to cringe when I see the girls stocking them and throwing the books haphazardly into the shelves they have garnered a few diamonds in the rough that I honestly never expected. And the Big Bang Theory boards have actually gained more attention from artists when they go to sign than the stock white boards. Anyways, I'll check Bankstons. Do you know the name of the one in Brownwood? I have been as far East in Texas as Tyler for issues. Three of which panned out really well and were able to be signed just this recently at Wizard World Austin.

And yes Con's. This is usually where I get a chance to really look but then again most of them that I find there are usually high end reader copies and most are in the dollar or below box's. My biggest issue is being picky with grades as I do submit pretty often and am starting to go the 50+ Pre-screen way in order to get those Set's completed. This year in Texas alone I plan to hit Dallas three times I want to say with Sci-Fi, Comic Con, and Fan Days, both Wizard Worlds, Alamo City, and Capital City along with a few other minor ones.

I do appreciate the responses and for sellers will get a list to you momentarily.

The one I go to in Brownwood is Jomio and Ruliette's Cards and Comics. It's actually in Early, but right on the outskirts of Brownwood.

I'm also showing places called TNT Comics and the Comic Shop, but I've never been to those. They also have a Hastings and so does the town I live in, Stephenville, which is only about an hour away from Brownwood.

Tried Newkadia...not so much...Purchased something they stated as NM+ for it to come back an 8.....after being pressed.

I tried a mycomicshop auction (Lonestar) for a RAW GFT issue listed at 9.8 raw condition thinking they would maybe be between 9.8 and 9.6 and came back a 9.0.

I'm starting to see a pattern.

I contacted the OP via PM and had a nice exchange. Apologized for the grading outcome and asked for info about his purchase. The raw GFT book in question was not purchased directly by the OP, but was purchased by through a retailer for him.

Thus far I have not been able to find any purchase in our order archive that matches the details of the OP's purchase. I've told him that if we can identify the issue, and it was indeed one we listed as a raw NM/M 9.8, then I'll refund his purchase price and CGC grading fee. My best guess right now though is that the book didn't come from us and there may have been some miscommunication from the retailer he got the book from.

We don't list raw books as NM/M 9.8 unless we're very confident about the grade, so I'd be very surprised if one of our NM/M 9.8s came back 9.0 from CGC, unless there's shipping damage or something else happens after we ship it out.

Yep, received the PM and replied and am honestly appreciative towards your customer service provided even away from your standard email's of gripes detailed out in your own day to day dealings. as for what was stated in the PM

Sir,

First off I really do appreciate you reaching out. By no means did that single incident turn me off from purchasing nor continuing with making bids as even since that time I have made a few auction pick-up's as well a few single issue purchase pick-up's since then although they have primarily been graded only copies.

I do not believe it was solely your company for it being taken down and have come to realize 1) That CGC has severely tightened there grading standards and 2) it may have dinged during shipping.

Following that purchase and submission I did make an account under the name Akoni Kaholo for a High grade purchase of Uncanny X-Force #1 2nd printing from you in raw condition and when submitted received the grade of 9.6 which is why I did state that I would be willing to go back to you again and will update a new entry to ensure others know that I am willing to shop with you all still.

My biggest issue with everything is that I am the type of person who prefers to grade a book myself before purchase and having a brick and mortar store to shop at is more convenient to me. I also had no idea you ha dsold your stores either as I used to love dropping the wife off at the Galleria and traveling over there during my wait times. Big reason I probably had no idea was that I was deployed to Afghanistan from Nov 2012 until Nov this year and I guess this would match up with the time frames of you sale.

Respectfully,

The only sentence omitted in the direct PM was the store that placed my bid for me prior to building my own account.

We have since continued our PM and response and will sort it out. I do know that previously I did hold out and do mention that unlike a different location I would still look into making purchases there and by no means wish to simply bash but to look for alternatives to where I can pick and pull without having to rely on someone elses grading views.

Sounds like enroute to Dallas Sci-Fi Expo I have a few stops to make.

Thank you for the heads up.

Maybe we'll bump into each other. I was looking at the lineup and it looks really good. They have had a bad habit lately of having the exact same comic artists at every convention, but with Chris Sprouse, Chaykin, Kevin Maguire, Bill Sienkiewicz, Billy Tucci, Van Sciver, and Cully Hammer, things are looking good.