• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Craigslist Posting...Get a Clue

24 posts in this topic

My most recent Craigslist fiasco was from a guy who has been posting the same collection for about 6 months (maybe longer). Mid-90s stuff, mostly Marvel, some DC. There are around 850 comics, which some price guide tells him is worth $5,000. He'll take $4,000. There are a few comics that have some value (an X-Men 266, an X-Factor 24), but mostly it is just stuff that would sell for around 50 cents or a dollar.

Finally, after seeing this listed over and over again, I e-mail him and make him an offer. I tell him for this really common 90s stuff, I usually offer around 25-30 cents each, or $250. I explain that these comics are plentiful, that Overstreet is extremely exaggerated on these comics, that it will take me a long time to sell them (and for a total of probably around $1,000).

He is unhappy. "I'm not selling them for 250 just so you can make profit" he responds.

Here's the thing. He is requires the purchaser to take everything. He also refuses to sell to dealers. Who is going to buy the whole thing other than a dealer/reseller?

He then actually posted an ad on Craigslist with my name and phone number telling everyone that I was a thief. Real nice.

I've seen his ad too. It's pretty funny that he thinks he would get 80% of book value for 90s junk.

My favorite is the collection of 1,000 comics being sold by an antique store for $400. He's been listing for over a year. I actually looked at the collection last year. I offerred him 100 but he refuses to get the hint that no one is going to pay him $400 for what he has.

Also, a different guy has been offering WD 1 for $175, Hulk 181 for $150, ASM 6 for $100, and Iron Man 1 for $100. He is running the wierdest scam ever because when I email him offering his asking price he ignores me. I've been flagging him. Don't understand these guys sometimes.