• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Negging: When do you do it?

79 posts in this topic

Just asking, but is it normal for the buyer to ask for a partial refund? I was of the understanding it was something the seller could offer. Whenever I've gotten damaged or products not as described, I've asked for a refund.

I don't make raw purchases on ebay outside of modern books though. I've been luck and only received one damaged book. Seller handled it well though. I've been an eBay member since 2004 and made under 40 transactions though.

I usually don't suggest it only because I don't want the seller to think I'm just fishing for a refund. I lay out the problem and ask for his options. That's just me, though - I don't know if it's bad etiquette to ask for a partial as the buyer or not.

I wouldnt neg cause so far you havent gone thru the right channels to try and resolve this.

Lots of us on here sell lots of books on ebay. Your attempted fishing for a partial refund is a commonly used tactic by less than reputable ebay buyers trying to get something for less than than what they agreed to pay for it. Do you want to be lumped in with them?

Use the official resolution channel with ebay. State what you want directly and why you want it. Was the book not as described condition-wise? Did it not match the pictures in the listing? Say what you mean, and mean what you say. If you are asking for a partial refund its not cause you dont wanna go to the post office, it's cause you still want the book, but want it at the value of the book in the condition it was received. Skip the muddying the waters narrative.

Was the defect that dropped it from NM down to VF- hidden from the ebay listing pictures?

Would love to see them, can you link to the auction?

Just asking, but is it normal for the buyer to ask for a partial refund? I was of the understanding it was something the seller could offer. Whenever I've gotten damaged or products not as described, I've asked for a refund.

I don't make raw purchases on ebay outside of modern books though. I've been luck and only received one damaged book. Seller handled it well though. I've been an eBay member since 2004 and made under 40 transactions though.

I usually don't suggest it only because I don't want the seller to think I'm just fishing for a refund. I lay out the problem and ask for his options. That's just me, though - I don't know if it's bad etiquette to ask for a partial as the buyer or not.

I don't think it's bad etiquette - but then who would know for sure on eBay? :grin:

I always politely present it as an "either or" scenario and leave the choice up to them. "I don't feel the book is in the condition it was listed at. I would like to return it for a refund or I would be willing to keep the book if it was priced more in line with it's actual condition. If a partial refund interests you, I think an adjustment of xxx would be fair. Please let me know which you prefer."

Whew! Ok, guys, some of you can be as dramatic as a bunch of divas.

Thank you to those who actually gave me recommendations, and did not immediately become cynical.

I will use the appropriate channels to message (item not as described) and see what happens. Please note that I am fine with a 7.5-8.0 copy to fill this gap, but I did expect to receive better.

And honestly, to the person suggesting I'm fishing for a partial refund...take a step back from the keyboard. I've sold a boatload of OA and high grade spidey slabs (I used to have 4-100 in 9.2 or better), and have honestly never, ever received a partial refund or sent a book back. I normally do let it slide and "take my lumps." Hence, why I started this thread to ask for sound advice and hear what you all normally do or have done in the past. Negging is a last, seldom used resort for me. You never know if you're negative feedback is going to be the last straw for some psycho. After all, they have your address.

Please, some of you need to step back and look at your etiquette on here (I'm talking about you, joe).

Thank you to those who actually gave me recommendations, and did not immediately become cynical.

I will use the appropriate channels to message (item not as described) and see what happens. Please note that I am fine with a 7.5-8.0 copy to fill this gap, but I did expect to receive better.

And honestly, to the person suggesting I'm fishing for a partial refund...take a step back from the keyboard. I've sold a boatload of OA and high grade spidey slabs (I used to have 4-100 in 9.2 or better), and have honestly never, ever received a partial refund or sent a book back. I normally do let it slide and "take my lumps." Hence, why I started this thread to ask for sound advice and hear what you all normally do or have done in the past. Negging is a last, seldom used resort for me. You never know if you're negative feedback is going to be the last straw for some psycho. After all, they have your address.

Please, some of you need to step back and look at your etiquette on here (I'm talking about you, joe).

Meanwhile, earlier in this same thread...

What pushes your buttons enough for you to push the negative feedback button on eBay?

The reason why I ask is I'm in a conundrum. I think I'm nice. Maybe too nice. I recently bought a ASM 136, advertised to be a 9.4. Now, of course I took that at face value and figured it would be a 9.2 or worst case a 9.0. I won the auction at $52.

When I get the book, well packaged, it's no more than an 8.0. So, I sent the seller a message telling him how unpleased I was and that I really don't want to deal with holiday crowds at the post office to return the book. Plus I was leaving for Hawaii two days later.

No response. That was December 19.

Do I neg him or just leave a neutral with a nasty comment?

When you sent the email, did you ask for a resolution? Did you use E-Bay's resolution center so the seller understood the situation? It seems harsh to leave a neutral or a negative if you didn't give the seller a chance to remedy the situation.

I didn't use those channels. I just sent a message (quite lengthy) explaining my displeasure with the transaction. I wanted to see if they would offer a partial refund as I described the difference in price from a 9.4 book and a 8.0. I don't want a full refund as I don't want to deal with repacking and shipping.

The person never responded to my message.

You said you were looking for a partial refund.

That's why people are giving you the "all or nothing" response, I always say if you aren't willing to return it, don't ask. From the seller's perspective you outbid someone else who also 'may have been happy with the book'.

2c

I need to look at my etiquette? lol

You're the one who was trying to hassle a seller outside of official e-bay channels, then cried when you didn't get a response. Here's a hint binky, almost anybody who sends a seller an e-mail from outside of the e-mail system, will get ignored. They want everything "on the record", that way it's all documented. Your whining that they didn't get back to you, and that you wanted a partial refund and to keep the book, speaks volumes of you and your character.

Just like you say negging is a last resort for you. Yet the very last line of your initial post was wondering if you should neg the buyer or just leave a neutral with a "nasty comment". You're true colors more than showed up here. :screwy:

Once again, post your e-bay id so we can avoid headaches like you. (thumbs u

Also, why should the seller trust your grading skills?

That book looked better than an 8.0. And you sure as heck hardly ever see that many pictures of the corners and edges of a book. lol

I'm not trying to bust the op's bananas but if you put yourself out there by starting a thread and then take offense and attack those who disagree, you don't really have much ground to stand on.

The partial return based on the OP's opinion of grade is what is problematic.

Let's not forget, the seller has a heck of a return policy in place:

HASSLE FREE RETURN POLICY

WE HOPE NONE OF OUR VALUED CUSTOMERS EVER NEED TO RETURN AN ITEM, HOWEVER

IN THE EVENT YOU FEEL THE NEED TO SEND A COMIC BACK TO US....YOU WILL BE TREATED WITH EXCELLENT,

FRIENDLY, AND EXPEDIENT SERVICE THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE PROCESS.

This sure sounds like an e-bay seller who is out to screw somebody out of $50, doesn't it? meh

Hassle-free policy, except our lazy OP doesn't want the hassle of returning the book, he just wants a partial refund and to get to keep the book.

This is a case where a buyer should get a neg just for being a tool-box. :D

Do we know that is the auction he won?

What pushes your buttons enough for you to push the negative feedback button on eBay?

The reason why I ask is I'm in a conundrum. I think I'm nice. Maybe too nice. I recently bought a ASM 136, advertised to be a 9.4. Now, of course I took that at face value and figured it would be a 9.2 or worst case a 9.0. I won the auction at $52.

When I get the book, well packaged, it's no more than an 8.0. So, I sent the seller a message telling him how unpleased I was and that I really don't want to deal with holiday crowds at the post office to return the book. Plus I was leaving for Hawaii two days later.

No response. That was December 19.

Do I neg him or just leave a neutral with a nasty comment?

It's the only ASM 136 that shows a grade of 9.4, that ended at around $56 in the last few weeks.

If my memory serves me correctly, this is just about how two-thirds of "should I neg?" threads turn out on the forum. With the OP rather wishing they had not asked.

Is it Friday?

I do the same:

"I just got the package of comics you sent. I am disappointed that the comics were damaged in shipping. I was looking to add NM comics to my collection and these are not NM. The packaging was inadequate and all of the comics received severe blunt damage on the upper right hand corner. I can provide pictures if you need them. How would you like to handle the situation?"

I tell the seller the problem, express my disappointment, offer to provide pictures, and ask how they would like to resolve the problem. I follow E-Bay's email system, so this email results in a dispute being opened up. At first, I was hesitant about opening a dispute on the first email, but I think doing this makes the seller respond, whereas in the past before E-Bay put this in place, I would only get a response half the time on the first email and kept having to send follow up emails until I got a response.

A few years ago, it felt like I was going through this process for every 5 transactions on E-Bay. In the past couple of years, things have gotten much better. Maybe 1 out of every 20 transactions involved me having to send email to the seller like this. I'm not sure if E-Bay's new more stringent policies have helped or if I'm just lucky these days. I'd guess I do 100-150 transactions a year.

If a book is significantly improperly graded or improperly shipped, I would leave a neutral. Unless they refused to resolve the situation by either accepting a return or a partial refund (something I've never asked for), or failed to communicate with the buyer in a timely manner then I would leave a negative.