• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The boards, where best intentions are turned into your worst nightmare.

292 posts in this topic

Before outing the buyer:

1. Post the pics you have of the book sent and the pic the buyer sent you for the board members to compare and get a consensus if it truly is a different book ( very likely yes ).

2. once determined it is a different book out the buyer.

I don't want to be dealing with someone like that and neither does anyone else. You would be doing the entire board community a service.

it'd be a huge shame to let this slide. We gotta look out for each other.

That's what it's all about!

And +1 to Artboy99's suggestions.

I sold some books that were NM. They were shipped out of country. Books plus shipping came to almost $100. The buyer got the books and said they were not in the condition I claimed and sent me a picture of the #1 of the group. Upon comparing the picture they sent and the one that I had they were not the same book.

Some seller on eBay used to deal with this when they sold electronics. The buyer would buy a working hard drive and claim it wasn't working. Buyer would request to send it back and the buyer would ship to seller their old non working one. So they get a new drive and their money back.

I evaluated the situation and thought that if I ask to send the books back for a full refund they could just send me their lower grade book and keep the NM one that I sent them. Or refund partial of the money. If I choose to do nothing the buyer could make a claim and I have to refund all of the money and will still get whatever the buyer decides to send back to me.

In situations like this you in a pickle. No matter what you choose you lose out. The worst is, how you call out anybody to be a liar or a scammer in this situation?

Didn't want to say it, but people are assuming eBay, but it was actually done here. It was months ago and don't remember the buyer.

Hmm, it was so long ago you don't remember who the buyer was, and you apparently didn't keep any email/PM records (or you could just check to see who the buyer was).

Why bring this up now, months later?

Why make scam allegations with only an anecdote from eBay as your evidence?

Why not be clear about what actually happened? From your post it looks like you did not give a refund, correct?

Also, if this was months ago and the buyer is just now raising it as an issue, I believe Paypal and Ebay have a statute of limitations of sorts in regards to how long claims can be filed after a payment is made...I think it's 30 days for Paypal, not sure what Ebay's is.

Even allowing it was out of the country, if it's been more than two months, the buyer may be out of luck.

I am curious as others are though; If this was months ago, are they just raising it as an issue now or have you let it sit without addressing it for that long?

Why do this?

I have the most amazing pictures of Scarlet Johansen playing nude volleyball, but I won't show them....I mean I can't find them.

Clearly the nerds would prefer the name of the scammer than my Scarlet spiking pics.

Why do this?

I have the most amazing pictures of Scarlet Johansen playing nude volleyball, but I won't show them....I mean I can't find them.

Clearly the nerds would prefer the name of the scammer than my Scarlet spiking pics.

Alleged scammer.

Why do this?

Alleged scammer.

To Hades with the scammer, I want Scarlet pics NOW! :taptaptap:

I sold some books that were NM. They were shipped out of country. Books plus shipping came to almost $100. The buyer got the books and said they were not in the condition I claimed and sent me a picture of the #1 of the group. Upon comparing the picture they sent and the one that I had they were not the same book.

Some seller on eBay used to deal with this when they sold electronics. The buyer would buy a working hard drive and claim it wasn't working. Buyer would request to send it back and the buyer would ship to seller their old non working one. So they get a new drive and their money back.

I evaluated the situation and thought that if I ask to send the books back for a full refund they could just send me their lower grade book and keep the NM one that I sent them. Or refund partial of the money. If I choose to do nothing the buyer could make a claim and I have to refund all of the money and will still get whatever the buyer decides to send back to me.

In situations like this you in a pickle. No matter what you choose you lose out. The worst is, how you call out anybody to be a liar or a scammer in this situation?

Didn't want to say it, but people are assuming eBay, but it was actually done here. It was months ago and don't remember the buyer.

Hmm, it was so long ago you don't remember who the buyer was, and you apparently didn't keep any email/PM records (or you could just check to see who the buyer was).

Why not be clear about what actually happened? From your post it looks like you did not give a refund, correct?

Yeah, something is fishy here... and the pendulum is swinging as to the direction of the fishiness.

Happened to me once. I refunded some dough and moved on. I'll never deal with this jerk-wad again.

Happened to me once. I refunded some dough and moved on. I'll never deal with this jerk-wad again.

I don't think it is nice to not out scammers, and thereby just let the next boarder get scammed. I hope you outed him/her?

This is a real touchy subject in trying to claim that somebody is a thief, liar, scammer, etc. without concrete evidence. I would come down to his word against mine. I package my books very well and the buyers did not say that they packages were damaged in transit.

My purpose wasn't to out anybody, but to make people aware.

Yes, this happened twice.

Here is the book that I sent:

nyx3_zpsb60c76ee.png

Here is the book they claim they got:

nyx_zpsed517d56.jpg

I will have to find the pictures of the other transaction.

Nothing fishy here as I found them.

Yeah, something is fishy here... and the pendulum is swinging as to the direction of the fishiness.

Hmm, that doesn't scream out "different comic!" to me. Is that the same little wear are the bottom edge, about 20% in from the right? And it seems like the cover is about the same amount smaller than the interior pages, based on the little bit of orange you can see next to the N. Are all copies like that?

The second scan is pretty low res so it's difficult to compare...

Hmm, that doesn't scream out "different comic!" to me. Is that the same little wear are the bottom edge, about 20% in from the right? And it seems like the cover is about the same amount smaller than the interior pages, based on the little bit of orange you can see next to the N. Are all copies like that?

The second scan is pretty low res so it's difficult to compare…

+1

The color being different is the only thing that stands out and that is the resolution of the photo.

The spines look very similar though.

Upon further review, I think that is the same comic. Look at the damage about an inch in from the bottom right. Also the spine in the bottom left. Those are some pretty distinguishing marks.