• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Must pick only one from 3 BIG KEY issues.

Pick one out of three books  

591 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one out of three books

56 posts in this topic

FF #1 is the most "important" given that it was marvels first "team" book, and really kicked off the "marvel age"

+1 (thumbs u

These things are important to the comic collector. But let's compare the cultural impact of the FF and the Hulk.

The Hulk is a far larger icon and you'll hear and see more references to this character in everyday life outside of the comic world.

I'd be willing to wager that more people on the street or in other countries would recognize the Hulk than the FF.

Thoughts?

Also, Hulk seems to be tougher to find. I think it will always have the advantage of supply/demand when compared to FF1.

The term "most important," in this context, is ambiguous to me. . . most important historically, most important to get if presented with all three at the same time, most important for future earnings, etc.? I think there is an assumption (and it may be the right one) that this parameter is for historical significance.

I would answer those questions differently. Historically significant, I would say Fantastic Four #1. However, if all three were put in front of me, and I could afford only one, I would get the Hulk #1. I would make that choice regardless of the contributions of FF #1.

FF #1 is the most "important" given that it was marvels first "team" book, and really kicked off the "marvel age"

+1 (thumbs u

These things are important to the comic collector. But let's compare the cultural impact of the FF and the Hulk.

The Hulk is a far larger icon and you'll hear and see more references to this character in everyday life outside of the comic world.

I'd be willing to wager that more people on the street or in other countries would recognize the Hulk than the FF.

Thoughts?

Also, Hulk seems to be tougher to find. I think it will always have the advantage of supply/demand when compared to FF1.

Good point. (thumbs u And I guess you're right. I'd personally still rather own a FF#1, but that's just personal preference. Like you said, big picture - Hulk #1'

I mean, even in modern books like Rachel Rising they had a Hulk reference where a character smashed something and flexed and said "Hulk Smash!"

I'd go for FF#1 first then JIM #83 and last Hulk #1. I grew up reading the classic FF thoughout the '70s. Thor was also cool for me to read as well.

It's all in your preferance which one to get. No one can have the match exact to another's preferance. Sure, a lot of us will say FF #1 as the one to have, but also have thousands and thousands unqiue reasons on why we choose it? (shrug)

Good Luck in scoring the big key! (thumbs u

I'd have to say the Hulk. While the FF has historical significance going for it, it simply hasn't been "The World's Greatest Comic Magazine!" for several decades.

At some point, collectors coming into the market after the initial impact & success of the FF will discount the historical significance in favour of current significance or personal significance.

If I could change up the question a bit, and say all things being equal (condition, cost, etc.) and replace JIM 83 with ASM 1, I think I would have a more difficult choice between Hulk 1 and ASM 1.

I'd have to say the Hulk. While the FF has historical significance going for it, it simply hasn't been "The World's Greatest Comic Magazine!" for several decades.

At some point, collectors coming into the market after the initial impact & success of the FF will discount the historical significance in favour of current significance or personal significance.

If I could change up the question a bit, and say all things being equal (condition, cost, etc.) and replace JIM 83 with ASM 1, I think I would have a more difficult choice between Hulk 1 and ASM 1.

Personally I would pick FF1 over Hulk1, and Hulk1 again far ahead of ASM1.

JIM83 I have a hard time placing because I really love this, but I don't think it has the significance of FF1. I would put it before ASM1 though. Hulk or JIM? IF the same grade I would probably pick Hulk because it it scarer in grade..