• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Must pick only one from 3 BIG KEY issues.

Pick one out of three books  

591 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one out of three books

56 posts in this topic

Supposedly, raw grade books (JIM 83, FF 1 and Hulk 1) are on the same auction. I will spend my money on only one book out of three. However which one is EXTREMELY most important book you think? All books are in same grade.

JIM 83, FF 1 or Hulk 1?

what grade?

FF #1 easily. If you were buying in high grade Hulk #1 might be a compelling alternative due to it's comparative scarcity in really nice shape, but in terms of importance, it's no more so than JIM 83. While I don't expect it to drop, Hulk #1 in low to mid grade seems overvalued, and I don't see it holding up with FF #1 in the long run.

I actually only buy one big key per year,so this is right up my alley.When obtaining a big key I first consider it's scarcity.Hulk 1 would be my first choice,JIM 83 then F.F.1.I will expand on that with my actual goals.I obtained the Hulk 1,then JIM 83 and now I'm going for the F.F.1.My next choices on MY list is Showcase 4,X-Men 1,then D.D 1 to finish off the early big keys

FF #1 easily. If you were buying in high grade Hulk #1 might be a compelling alternative due to it's comparative scarcity in really nice shape, but in terms of importance, it's no more so than JIM 83. While I don't expect it to drop, Hulk #1 in low to mid grade seems overvalued, and I don't see it holding up with FF #1 in the long run.

If the determinants of which book is better are the following then I would argue that Hulk 1 is the winner:

Determinants

In order of their importance

1. Demand for the book based on currently popularity of the character and room for future growth in popularity.

2.Total number of books in existence (which we can very roughly guesstimate from census numbers) with fewer existing copies increasing desirability.

3. The historical significance of each book.

JIM 83

1. Marvel movie popularity has definitely increased this characters profile and desirability in recent years.

Highest readership for a monthly title out of the three and slightly edges out Indestructible Hulk.

Not much room for accelerated future growth as franchise already established.

774 universal

7 qualified

72 SS

197 restored

TOTAL 1050

Comparable to the IH 1 in total number of copies, but has 15% more blue label copies available.

3. scant compared to the other two

IH 1

1. High estimated monthly sales only just being beaten by Thor.

Movies have been slightly above average receiving 67% and 62% on rotten tomatoes.

Has room to grow at an accelerated pace should a reboot be announced. This is not as likely with Thor.

670 universal copies

14 qualified

62 SS

255 restored

TOTAL: 1001

So not only does hulk have the lowest number of certified copies of the three it also has the lowest number of universal copies by a significant margin.

3. The 1970's TV series is well cemented in pop culture.

1st appearance of Wolverine in 181 does not hurt either.

Over all I would say Hulk is highly recognizable even to the uninitiated.

FF 1

1. Fox have handled this property poorly. I personally found the Fantastic Four movies to be horrible, review aggregators like rotten and metacritic seem to indicate my opinion accords with popular consensus.

Both FF and Fantastic Four have relatively low readership and come last of the three characters. (if anyone wants to dispute these figures feel free, there is a high probability I am incorrect or missed something as I don't read any modern titles).

Room for accelerated future growth with the reboot coming soon. Will be interesting to see whether fox pull it off. But again could strongly affect desirability.

888 universal

8 qualified

94 SS

TOTAL 1383

Much larger supply with 38% more copies than IH 1 and 32% more than JIM83.

3. As the original Marvel superhero title this book has a strong historical significance, but I am not too sure this has that great an influence on price/desirability.

I actually only buy one big key per year,so this is right up my alley.When obtaining a big key I first consider it's scarcity.Hulk 1 would be my first choice,JIM 83 then F.F.1.I will expand on that with my actual goals.I obtained the Hulk 1,then JIM 83 and now I'm going for the F.F.1.My next choices on MY list is Showcase 4,X-Men 1,then D.D 1 to finish off the early big keys

That's funny. That's my exact current list, in order, except I already have a JIM #83, and replaced it with a Copper book at #2.

That's funny. That's my exact current list, in order, except I already have a JIM #83, and replaced it with a Copper book at #2.

(thumbs u

Once I finish the early big keys,I'm going for a TMNT #1.First and foremost scarcity is my main point.

FF1 all the way. I know Hulk 1 is a great book, relatively hard to find, and hot right now but FF started it all. And they introduced so many great characters like Galactus, Silver Surfer, Watcher, Dr Doom, Inhumans, Submariner, and Willy Lumpkin.

+ Black Panther, Warlock, Annihilus, Terrax, Skrulls (and Super Skrull) Ronin...

that's not even all of them...