• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fingerprint Removal?

13 posts in this topic

O.K. so now that we've decided(sort of) that pencil erasure is not restoration, does anyone have any idea about dirty fingerprint removal. I have a book that was handled by someone that left 3 yellowish fingerprints on the back cover. Any way to get those off without taking any ink with them? Would it be considered resto?

Try a pouch of dry erasure shavings that u can get from any art/architectural supply store. If u are on a tight budget, rub a slice of Wonder bread on the fingerprints until it is less unsightly. Latter is per Sean's recommendation. cool.gif

O.K. so now that we've decided(sort of) that pencil erasure is not restoration, does anyone have any idea about dirty fingerprint removal.

I am something of a restoration hobbyist. I have never agreed that erasure is NOT restoration. It IS restoration. I honestly do not recall where there was a decision on this.

As far as dirty fingerprints? Well, it depends on the nature of the "dirty". Are we talking about surface dirt? Oils that can impregnate beneath the surface and cause staining? Are the on a white part of the cover or a colored part? Just the difference between white or color is potentially a major decision. Let alone surface vs deeper or white area vs colored area.

So please fill me in - work has been hard and may have missed a bit (do not think so but who knows) so I can better understand and perhaps reply. smile.gif

Pov,

I was refering to the Marvel Mystery 33 Heritage controversy thread, somewhat jokingly, when I said it had been decided that erasure wasn't resto. As for my book, the fingerprints are on both the white and inked parts of the back cover. I think it's more than just surface dirt, but can't really tell. I probably should just leave it alone but it's such a nice book outside of that. I might try the dry erasure shavings that odin suggested unless you have a better idea. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I think it's more than just surface dirt, but can't really tell. I probably should just leave it alone but it's such a nice book outside of that. I might try the dry erasure shavings that odin suggested unless you have a better idea.

One possible scary thing is the nature of the fingerprint. If regular dirt, proper dry cleaning should be fine The cleaning pad with the fine granules is a good product. But there IS a possibility of smearing, which would then look horrible. The posibility of smearing would be increased with an eraser as opposed to the powder.

Has anyone in here ever used THIS product from BCE?

CLEANING PAD

DESCRIPTION: Powder-Filled Pouch

Contains soft grit-free powder that absorbs dust, dirt, and greasy fingerprints when gently rubbed over the paper surface. Will not smudge or remove pre-printed ink.

COST: $5.25

Has anyone in here ever used THIS product from BCE?

Yes. That is the one I have used. Instinct will tell you to jusat take the bag and rub it over the book. Instinmct would be wrong. The best method is to hold the bag OVER the book and knead the bag for a few seconds so the powder falls out and onto the cover. Then using a VERY clean dry hand, gently rub into the cover in a circular motion, every few seconds whicsing the powder away to check your progress. This gives you maximum sensory feedback and helps you control the pressure more than going through a fat bag.

You want to watch out for removing color from the cover as well. When done, it is important to whicks the powder off the book with a VERY soft brush. Be prepared though for a bit of a mess - those are very fine granules. Using a smooth CLEAN flat surface with paper underneath will help you contain the mess.

I've got a nice 1st print of the Marvel Graphic Novel "God Loves, Man Kills" with about 8 or 9 fingerprints on it. Worried about trying this with the ultra-black cover. Whatcha' guys think? Tempted to buy this stuff and try it, but worried.

I was just looking at the same book and my copy is NM except for the black back which attracts fingerprints like ants. I am wondering whether to leave it alone or try to remove them. The fact that it is black, you can really see the smudges at an angle. I am betting this book will be hard to find in CGC 9.6 or 9.8 when CGC starts grading magazines.

I have successfully removed fingerprints with microfiber cloth soaked in VMP Naptha.

It worked amazingly well. (It was a black covered book with light fingerprints that could be seen at an angle.)

However use this method at your own risk. It's best to practice on low cost books first.

This quote about VMP Naptha is from Povertyrow in Espousing the virtues of WonderBread..... thread

The single most effective way I know to remove ink transfer stain is VMP Naptha. Requires removing the cover and soaking it for about 20-30 minutes. The usual ink transfer stains will simply vanish. No impact to inks. No impact to size of the covers. No impact to anything. Evaporates 100%.

When I move to a larger place I will re-establish a restoration area. Would like to try out Naptha on a still bound book and see the impact on the inner pages- if they show any signs. Don't know WHY I didn't try that a few years ago when I dedicated a room to it! Sheesh!

Maybe others with Naptha experience can answer?

AND REMEMBER - NAPTHA IS HIGHLY FLAMMABLE AND FUMES NOT OUR PAL. USE GOOD VENTILATION (IF YOU HAVE AN OUTDOOR AREA USE IT) AND NO SPARKS, FLAMES, ELECTRICAL DEVIES ETC. IN THE AREA.