• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Frazetta / Boris Vallejo: Who knows some similar artists

39 posts in this topic

Simon Bisley

Ken Kelly

Richard Corben

Bisley seems to be drifting in other directions. Some of his older stuff really grabbed me but not so much lately.

Ken Kelly is Frazetta-lite. Good on his best days, though, and the right piece can still rock it.

Richard Corben is a tremendous talent but doesn't fit the Frazetta/Vallejo style. My opinion, anyway.

Some fun art in this post, though. Glad to see it.

Earl Norem?

Norem is in a class all of own. I love his work. Still very affordable too

I would love to get some Norem super hero stuff. From the 1970's through the mid 90's. He and Larkin are the mess. I wouldn't mind a page from a He-Man book from the 1980's. Even as a 3 year old I knew those ladies he painted were sexy.

I notice that boris tends to find a way to put a complimentary color in his backgrounds like he did here with the red and the forest green. Such a basic thing but effective and something many others don't seem to do.

I notice that boris tends to find a way to put a complimentary color in his backgrounds like he did here with the red and the forest green. Such a basic thing but effective and something many others don't seem to do.

Julie did the background. Their styles are very similar. Julie is known for her "liquid metal". Boris did the left horse, woman, wolf (Julie touched it up), the body of the right horse, and the sword. Julie did the head of the horse, halter top on the woman. I think that's about it?

I use their names interchangeably because a lot of their art is like that, yeah. Bits by Boris and bits by Julie. Heck I have one piece where one of them signed it for publication purposes and the other signed the original. To be honest I suspect it was a way back in the day to be able to get more illustration work by having two price points without destroying Boris' ability to charge a premium price to clients. Of course that is utter speculation on my part and should not be considered fact by anyone

I use their names interchangeably because a lot of their art is like that, yeah. Bits by Boris and bits by Julie. Heck I have one piece where one of them signed it for publication purposes and the other signed the original. To be honest I suspect it was a way back in the day to be able to get more illustration work by having two price points without destroying Boris' ability to charge a premium price to clients. Of course that is utter speculation on my part and should not be considered fact by anyone

He doesn't charge a premium and his prices are pretty much the same as Julie's. I picked up a few Marvel collector card pieces from them, the 1996 series, and put them on my wall. Two from Boris, two from Julie. They were the same price. I also have a variation of the Woman and Volcano. I have no idea how much I paid for it. It was years ago. Most of their work now has been a dual effort. They live about an hour from me. You should look into getting something from them direct.

Frazetta lived in my town. I spoke to Ellie his wife a few times back in 1999, but we never closed a deal because of the gaps in pricing. I think she wanted 100k for a drawing. It was some ridiculous pricing. At that time his drawings were selling for 10-20k. If it were Frank I'm sure I would have closed a deal. She wouldn't let him handle the business side of it and I was a buyer at the time with money in hand. Ellie was very vocal to me about Boris; nothing I would want to mention here.

About 15 years ago you would see Franks art in stores, comic shops, and other places just hanging on walls. Since the values went up, they've vanished. Their sons sell his pieces. Through a third party that lives in the building he owns, one was sold for about a million 5 months ago. That's out of my range by 999k right now.

Luis Royo does really nice work. I managed to put a deposit down on a bunch of his more popular pieces when he released one of his books. My ex wife screwed up the deal by being a compulsive spender and put me in a bad spot. I regret not getting them. You should look at Royos earlier works. A lot of Angels and some mild erotica. Now, he's over the top and you really can put his stuff on your walls.

You don't get what I am saying. When they got together, Boris was already a long established artist. Julie was not. I know for a fact that Boris was paid 5k in the early 90s by company that hired him, to create an image that I own the original for. (I spoke to the client first hand).

Julie would never have been able to charge that back then, and Boris Im guessing would t have been able to utilize all his time at that rate. lets say Boris could charge 5k but only keep himself busy 50% of the time at that rate. He's perfectly happy accepting what was a more normal 3k however. Well, pump out a bunch of work as Julie and now you are selling half your time at 5k and half at 3k which is better than what you can do if you accept a single job at 3k (word gets out and now you can't charge anyone 5 k).

I wasn't talking about prices today (at this point Julie is eastablished too so the strategy would be pointless) nor was I talking about private commissions. I'm talking commercial assignments but again this is conjecture.

Fact remains IMO he did spot work at least on a lot of Julie's work in that time period. The whys can be debated and only they know for sure but to me the answer the most logical answer is that is either he was trying to help her get established or he was trying to max out his capacity as per above