• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SUPERMAN #210????

23 posts in this topic

I seem to be a a loss as to what is going on here. Does anyone feel like 'they' know what is

happing ,why is everyone afraid of "BIG BLUE "?? What is the deal with Wonder Woman ??

What is going on with Batman?? I am lost here and would like some help. confused.giffrustrated.gif

Im completely lost too. this story makes no sense. I laughed out loud in this newest issue when Batman says to WWoman: " I think hes figured it out..." and I had no idea what he was talking about or that their conversation had betrayed any clue that Supes was even talking about anything to do with whatever this plot is all about!!!!

Oh thank God , i thought I was going Nuts!!!! I know that I come on here as The Brain , but really

if I don't see a plot or a story here I think my head is going to explode. So people are gone,

some people know how this was done, Superman is on the verge of find the answer, and evey-

one is freaking-out, OK i got it so far, Superman is NOT GOD, OK got it. This story is like

Superman IC , is he going throught this so as to become a better person (of earth)????

At this point I welcome any imfo or spoliers becauce it not making any sense.

confused.giffrustrated.gifsign-rantpost.gif

Part of what is "going on" is still a mystery- what exactly happened with "the vanishing" and how the weapon that Supes commandeered works (they're parts of the same question, obviously.)

People are afraid of him because he's powerful enough to kill everyone on the planet and he's acting like something of a loose cannon. Meddling in the affairs of a sovereign nation, inadvertently causing "the vanishing" through, etc.

"The deal with Wonder Woman" is that she's not going to sit around and let Supes do his loose cannon thing and mess around with whatever it was that caused "the vanishing."

Part of the problem people have with this book is the multiple timelines. Compared to the rest of the superman titles the "present" of this book (all the stuff with supes and the priest) is taking place in the future (8 months?) Add to that weirdness the fact that from that "future present" some of it is being told in flashback (all the "pre-vanishing" scenes in the Middle East with that Authority ripoff villain) and you've got a potential head scratcher.

gossip.gif re: "I think he's figured it out"

re-read page 10 panel 3 of this issue.

READS: ...."but I know that you will Soupy's got the device that caused the

vanishing. How long do you think it will take him to figure it out??"

"..Not very "

.."And then what??"

Thats a BIG differance from"He's figured it out." And even so W T F does it all MEAN !!???

"..Not very "

.."And then what??"

Thats a BIG differance from"He's figured it out."

And even so W T F does it all MEAN !!???

Superman has the device that caused "the vanishing", the event where a bunch of people went missing (including lois.) We do not yet know the exact mechanism of that event, it's a mystery that Azz is obviously stringing out in parallel with the present day story (involving the priest and wonder woman and the jla and batman, etc.) They (meaning WW, the mercenary guy, etc.) are obviously afraid that Supes will mess around with it in order to, presumably, bring Lois, and the rest of the missing, back. Obviously, that's dangerous. Dangerous enough that Wonder Woman herself is prepared to go toe to toe with Supes to stop him.

"..Not very "

.."And then what??"

Thats a BIG differance from"He's figured it out."

And even so W T F does it all MEAN !!???

Superman has the device that caused "the vanishing", the event where a bunch of people went missing (including lois.) We do not yet know the exact mechanism of that event, it's a mystery that Azz is obviously stringing out in parallel with the present day story (involving the priest and wonder woman and the jla and batman, etc.) They (meaning WW, the mercenary guy, etc.) are obviously afraid that Supes will mess around with it in order to, presumably, bring Lois, and the rest of the missing, back. Obviously, that's dangerous. Dangerous enough that Wonder Woman herself is prepared to go toe to toe with Supes to stop him.

Ok here my take so far. "the vanishing" for yet unknowen reasons was approved by again

unknownen "players". LOIS was a true mistake , as only a hand-full of people know her

connection to Superman. If Superman changes the outcome, he puts the world resources at

greater risk( more people , less to go around???). But why is only going to come as we get

deeper into this story, YES I WILL BE PICKING THIS UP TILL THE END. YES I STILL DO

NOT HAVE A CLEAR PICTURE OF WHATS IT'S ALL ABOUT. AND YES I LIKE IT!!!!!

Part of what is "going on" is still a mystery- what exactly happened with "the vanishing" and how the weapon that Supes commandeered works (they're parts of the same question, obviously.)

People are afraid of him because he's powerful enough to kill everyone on the planet and he's acting like something of a loose cannon. Meddling in the affairs of a sovereign nation, inadvertently causing "the vanishing" through, etc.

"The deal with Wonder Woman" is that she's not going to sit around and let Supes do his loose cannon thing and mess around with whatever it was that caused "the vanishing."

Part of the problem people have with this book is the multiple timelines. Compared to the rest of the superman titles the "present" of this book (all the stuff with supes and the priest) is taking place in the future (8 months?) Add to that weirdness the fact that from that "future present" some of it is being told in flashback (all the "pre-vanishing" scenes in the Middle East with that Authority ripoff villain) and you've got a potential head scratcher.

seriously, I got all that much. BUT, when I say I dont know whats going on, I mean even given all those actins and dialogue and multiple plot threads, WHAT THE HELL IS IT ADDING UP TO. Its taking far too long to set up the chess board if what you described is all thats happenned. Its all very serious, if not downright pretentious, but not very well written, or should I say interestingly written.....it just goes on and on sideways...

seriously, I got all that much. BUT, when I say I dont know whats going on, I mean even given all those actins and dialogue and multiple plot threads, WHAT THE HELL IS IT ADDING UP TO. Its taking far too long to set up the chess board if what you described is all thats happenned . Its all very serious, if not downright pretentious, but not very well written, or should I say interestingly written.....it just goes on and on sideways...

If you think this is a long chess board set-up, steer away from '100 Bullets' (the best book out there, BTW! cloud9.gif). This story is peanuts compared to the (now) 54 issues of set-up that have taken place.

This is typical Azz stuff. Lots of time-play, set-up, and mystery. It will all come together really fast. He hardly ever leaves enough clues to figure the story out.

I'm liking this story alot. It's certainly better than his effort on Batman.

And is it me or does Jim Lee draw the best frikkin' Batman ever?

They (meaning WW, the mercenary guy, etc.) are obviously afraid that Supes will mess around with it in order to, presumably, bring Lois, and the rest of the missing, back. Obviously, that's dangerous. Dangerous enough that Wonder Woman herself is prepared to go toe to toe with Supes to stop him.

I think part of the mystery is what exactly Superman intends to do, and what the consequences of that action would be.

- Bring Lois back? confused-smiley-013.gif

- Go after her? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

- Do a wholesale Vanishing of everyone else in Superman's way? 893whatthe.gif

I think this is an ambitious Superman arc-- Azz is clearly trying to do more with Superman than anybody since Byrne & Ordway. Of course all will depend upon the payoff.

They (meaning WW, the mercenary guy, etc.) are obviously afraid that Supes will mess around with it in order to, presumably, bring Lois, and the rest of the missing, back. Obviously, that's dangerous. Dangerous enough that Wonder Woman herself is prepared to go toe to toe with Supes to stop him.

I think part of the mystery is what exactly Superman intends to do, and what the consequences of that action would be.

I think this is an ambitious Superman arc-- Azz is clearly trying to do more with Superman than anybody since Byrne & Ordway. Of course all will depend upon the payoff.

He is gonna fly around the earth at a high rate of speed making it rotate backward and he will reverse time!

when Batman says to WWoman: " I think hes figured it out..." and I had no idea what he was talking about or that their conversation had betrayed any clue that Supes was even talking about anything to do with whatever this plot

He's Batman, aman! He's the world greatest detective! thumbsup2.gif

That points directly to why I've grown to like this arc after having been truly noncommittal for the first couple of issues. There's so much mystery here I can't help but enjoy it. We have what we think is the skeleton of what's going on, but the meat of the story is only slowly being revealed. As long as the payoff is up to snuff...

It's been shedding readers like there's no tomorrow, by the way. So anyone less than satisfied with the arc has plenty of company.

And is it me or does Jim Lee draw the best frikkin' Batman ever?

Couldn't agree with you more! Maybe he's rushed, but as each issue comes out, his work was looking less inspired. When I flipped through #209, I had to turn to the front cover to confirm that Jim Lee was indeed the artist on the issue. #210 was a bit better. I know he had 6 issues of Batman completed prior to #608 being released, but he was still able to maintain the level of quality on the final 6 as he did in the first. Anybody else notice this? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That points directly to why I've grown to like this arc after having been truly noncommittal for the first couple of issues. There's so much mystery here I can't help but enjoy it. We have what we think is the skeleton of what's going on, but the meat of the story is only slowly being revealed. As long as the payoff is up to snuff...

It's been shedding readers like there's no tomorrow, by the way. So anyone less than satisfied with the arc has plenty of company.

I was one of those readers. I dropped the series after #205. I won't buy a poorly written book, even if it's drawn by Jim Lee.

Superman stories are rarely satisfying, but throw too much intrigue into it and you kill the concept. It's no wonder that sales are sliding. I've mentioned it before, but Azz was hand-picked for the job by Lee, and said he had no real love for the character or feel for the material before he started working on it, and I think it shows.

I almost dropped it at that point as well. It's turned the corner for me since.

The declines are terrible.

09/ 2003: Superman #197 -- 33,430 (- 0.6%)

10/ 2003: Superman #198 -- 33,680 (+ 0.7%)

11/ 2003: Superman #199 -- 33,429 (- 0.7%)

12/ 2003: Superman #200 -- 47,346 (+ 41.6%) -- [ 51,745]

01/ 2004: Superman #201 -- 35,986 (- 24.0%) -- [ 37,155]

02/ 2004: Superman #202 -- 50,449 (+ 40.2%) -- [ 66,640]

03/ 2004: Superman #203 -- 83,096 (+ 64.7%)

04/ 2004: Superman #204 -- 231,411 (+178.5%) -- [244,120]

05/ 2004: Superman #205 -- 208,105 (- 10.1%) -- [213,514]

06/ 2004: Superman #206 -- 162,095 (- 22.1%)

07/ 2004: Superman #207 -- 138,984 (- 14.3%) -- [140,177]

08/ 2004: Superman #208 -- 129,256 (- 7.0%)

09/ 2004: Superman #209 -- 116,827 (- 9.6%)

Yes and no. Everyone seems to have copies of 204 around as it was heavily speculated on. Orders were high for 205 as well, and 206 had the Michael Turner variant cover.

You start to see a better reflection of the numbers starting with #207, but it's been in freefall since then.

BUT 116 thousand copies is still a lot healthier than most of the books Marvel and DC publish on a regular basis. Even with a mediocre story, Jim Lee commands attention from comic fans.