• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The spider that bit Peter Parker!

43 posts in this topic

My very 1st day at FSU in Tallahassee, I moved into my apartment and found what looked like a brown recluse walking around the bathtub. I killed it and sprayed enough insecticides to give a small country cancer.

That night I get woken up with a sharp pain in my knee and look down to see what looks like another brown recluse running down my leg. I FREAK and rush to the hospital. They said there aren't many recourses in Florida so it might not have been that but it hurt like hell and to this day, 20 years later, I have this small circular green/blue spot of skin where it bit me :mad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_nevus

-slym

These guys look pretty awesome

peacock-spider14.jpg

But they're also pretty tiny...

peacock-spider4.jpg

Linky: Tiny, colorful spiders

I've always found it baffling that in the comics, Peter Parker has taken virtually ZERO interest in spiders and their vast diversity, and how it could help him understand his own powers. I mean you're a scientist, Parker! Do some research!

Imagine if Peter could dance like the Peacock spider. hm

I counted and killed 34 widow spiders this summer outside of my house and under the patio furniture

dude, it's time to call an exterminator!

If you get one bite that'll learn ya!

I HAVE been bitten. Once by a black and once by a brown widow. Made me sick as hell. The brown widow bite affected me worse.

I once found a NEST of Spiders (Black Widows) I don't know if they were babies, family, and I really didn't care. I say that one was a widow, and I burned the whole thing. I HATE Spiders. They came very close to my son, and my dogs. No insect will ever threaten my son, or my dogs, without expecting to take hell and its fire :devil: from me. :sumo:

Ahem. Back to the original post. Actually, back in the early days of the character, Peter was credited with being an expert on spiders - particularly their webs. It's how he managed to create the web formula and web shooters.

I kept a few spiders as pets sorta as a kid. They get a much worse rap then they deserve. Most can't deliver any sort of painful bite to humans and more still will try their best to avoid humans.To this day I scoop them up and carry them out of the house when I find them inside. But there are the widow spiders and the brown recluses, and certainly they can deliver a painful, dangerous bite.

I am glad I don't live somewhere that has things like banana spiders or those huge tarantula types. To dangerous. .

I counted and killed 34 widow spiders this summer outside of my house and under the patio furniture

dude, it's time to call an exterminator!

If you get one bite that'll learn ya!

I HAVE been bitten. Once by a black and once by a brown widow. Made me sick as hell. The brown widow bite affected me worse.

I guess I am a bit phobic when it comes to poisonous critters.

I had a neighbor that showed me the black widow she killed in her outdoor storage shed and as soon as I confirmed it was the real McCoy. I not only called an exterminator but prior to them getting there I bombed my shed under my crawl space and my house twice!

Knowing these can kill children make me go medieval on their azzez!

Any spider that is brown or especially black takes a dirt nap and I don't take any chances.

Racist. (tsk)

Ahem. Back to the original post. Actually, back in the early days of the character, Peter was credited with being an expert on spiders - particularly their webs. It's how he managed to create the web formula and web shooters.

T - you have a very good memory (I just leafed back through the Ditko issues)... it is mentioned in one panel near the end of ASM Annual #1 about Pete's study of spiders. And he also visits a "neighborhood museum" in ASM #1 for one panel, where he studies a spider exhibit (heckuva local museum!).

But other than those two panels, not much of a mention of PP checking out arachnids (at least in the early days). Too many bad guys to hunt down & too much Flash Thompson to worry about I suppose!

T - you have a very good memory (I just leafed back through the Ditko issues)... it is mentioned in one panel near the end of ASM Annual #1 about Pete's study of spiders. And he also visits a "neighborhood museum" in ASM #1 for one panel, where he studies a spider exhibit (heckuva local museum!).

But other than those two panels, not much of a mention of PP checking out arachnids (at least in the early days). Too many bad guys to hunt down & too much Flash Thompson to worry about I suppose!

a single panel mention that he is studying spiders is more than enough. The other stuff in the comics is what you wanted to read as a kid anyways isn't it?

I was actually thinking of a 1966 Lancer paperback - The Amazing Spider-Man Collectors Album. See pictures below - this is the original copy I bought when I was 12 years old so it's seen a lot of love:

CoverASMCollectorsAlbum_zps5f8241c3.jpg

SpiderExpert_zpsb2c2aad3.jpg

Another two pages go on to describe various properties of his web shooters and webbing

While I have everyone's attention so to speak - and at the risk of taking the thread in another direction - this book also brings to mind a pet peeve of my own about how Spider-Man is portrayed. Over the years writers have over-emphasized his agility/speed and overlooked his strength. Back in 1966, Marvel regarded Spider-Man as one of their strongest characters. See below:

strength_zpsad8c6e5d.jpg

When I was younger, we had a small red maple tree (more like a large sapling) in the yard. One day I watched a nest of spiders, no idea what kind, all hatch at the same time and leave the nest. It was really cool seeing what might have been hundreds of tiny baby spiders all going every which way.

When I was younger, we had a small red maple tree (more like a large sapling) in the yard. One day I watched a nest of spiders, no idea what kind, all hatch at the same time and leave the nest. It was really cool seeing what might have been hundreds of tiny baby spiders all going every which way.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

If them is babies it makes me wonder the size of mama!

I used to have them when I first moved into my new house, I got rid of them quickly. Here's one that was on my water hose spool:

bw1.jpg

I used to have them when I first moved into my new house, I got rid of them quickly. Here's one that was on my water hose spool:

bw1.jpg

The very first Widow I saw was in Basic Training in 1985, at Fort Bliss, Tx. Part of our "training" was to pull guard duty shifts. We guarded a huge abandoned warehouse somewhere near White Sands. My shift was at night. I was armed with a flashlight and nightstick. It was soooo boring so I walked around the building. I saw my first one along side the foundation edge. I killed it with my stick. Then I saw another. And another. So for the next two hours I slowly walked around the building killing the widow spiders. Too many to count. I had barely gotten halfway around the building when my shift was over.

Two days later I got bit by one in the latrine, when cleaning under a sink. Karma.