• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,385 posts in this topic

On 6/6/2023 at 9:01 PM, Sarg said:

I was curious to see if James Hadley Chase was still being reprinted, and if so, what titles and cover art was used. 

Twelve "Chinamen" and a Woman is still in print, as a two-fer with No Orchids for Miss Blandish. The less said about the cover art, the better. 

Is Chase worth reading? He's got a lot of promising titles. Since he's English, I'm inclined to think he's too polite to be hardboiled. 

chase.jpeg

Very hard boiled with tons of American slang, although not quite as accurate as the American writers dished out. He was censored and brought to court numerous times in England for lewdness and violence, much like Hank Janson of the Reg Heade cover fame.

On 6/7/2023 at 6:21 PM, Robot Man said:

My favorite digest. This copy has page 3-4 (first two interior pages). A letter from the author to his daughter if I remember right. It was supposedly removed in most copies.

IMG_6883.jpeg

The crown jewel of pbs and so much more visually appealing, imho, than the comic book, which crudely cut out the image and pasted it on that yellow blank background. If your copy has the letters, it's a rare bird indeed, along with my copy, I've seen two others in the last 5 years - one rag of a copy was sold here on the boards a few years ago and there's currently a copy up on the 'bay, listed at 2K. A price it should fetch, but I doubt will.

I posted the letters pages from my copy previously but will re-post here for reference - they're pretty creepy and I don't blame the model, Marty Collins' father for suing Avon, even though Marty was not portraying the girl writing the letters.

ReformSchoolGirl-letterpage.thumb.jpg.973c2c760337d958161873553b2b35c6.jpg

ReformSchoolGirl-letterpage2.thumb.jpg.2e8f327f24d8cd196ac433ea565c3948.jpg

Edited by Surfing Alien

On 6/7/2023 at 5:51 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Very hard boiled with tons of American slang, although not quite as accurate as the American writers dished out. He was censored and brought to court numerous times in England for lewdness and violence, much like Hank Janson of the Reg Heade cover fame.

Thanks, I'll have to check out some of Chase's books. Does anyone know if he wrote for the pulps?

On 6/7/2023 at 6:07 PM, Robot Man said:

Thanks. That was my relocation. I heard it was quite scarce complete. 

Here is my Reform School Girl trinity...:roflmao:

comreformschoolgirl.jpg

I imagine very, very few people possess the comic and the digest.

On 6/11/2023 at 5:03 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Both classic Maguire covers!  Somebody on CAF has the original art for Hot Chariot.  It's the sort of thing I'd liquidate a lot of my collection for!

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=597456

DSC00101.JPG.91c9d6573c90d288918e3960327f362e.JPG

And here's the companion piece from Five Faces of Murder:

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=167865

MzuhQp6h_131118142925lola.thumb.jpg.1fae709116b0f7d47e749f7c047018b5.jpg

Johnny C. and George Hagenauer, along with Brian Emrich, have or have had, many of the best surviving vintage paperback covers extant. Their galleries are amazing to browse.