• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,499 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2023 at 5:11 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I've not (yet :canofworms:) gone down the rabbit hole of the Janson's but have made a fair dent in the Leisure Library and Archer series. Here's a few now that I've unboxed them.

20230621_170234.thumb.jpg.5d78fa75c9c14556b8a11216a24f1dce.jpg

Awesome!!  Two Smart Dames took me some time to find.

On 6/21/2023 at 5:11 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I've not (yet :canofworms:) gone down the rabbit hole of the Janson's but have made a fair dent in the Leisure Library and Archer series. Here's a few now that I've unboxed them.

20230621_170234.thumb.jpg.5d78fa75c9c14556b8a11216a24f1dce.jpg

Edited by moonpool

On 6/21/2023 at 8:52 AM, moonpool said:

I alternate arranging the Jansons' alphabetically or by series.

IMG-1422.jpg

Really some great looking covers Moonpool (thumbsu

On 6/23/2023 at 3:30 PM, OtherEric said:

And one more in today, after all.  I was getting worried since it took over a month to reach me, but it looks great:

Ace D 043.jpg

All these Aces you’ve been posting are wonderful! It kinda makes me wonder why they’re so under-represented in my collection. I’ve spent the majority of my paperback hours devoted to chasing down Avons, Dells and Populars while neglecting these. So many great publishers, so little time.  :preach:

On 6/23/2023 at 4:30 PM, OtherEric said:

And one more in today, after all.  I was getting worried since it took over a month to reach me, but it looks great:

Ace D 043.jpg

Probably George Geygan's greatest cover. My copy that I've posted here before is not super high grade but was one of the few books I kept when I sold my 1st collection to John Warren in the 90's. 

It''s a wraparound so you gotta show 3 views :baiting::cloud9:

On 6/24/2023 at 2:41 PM, OtherEric said:

So, some days you see a book, and you make a bid that's a bit more serious than a thrill bid, but still not that high.  The sort where you figure that if the book goes for what you figure is the absolute floor, you're in with a chance, but your hopes aren't high.

Then you win the darn thing for less than half your bid and wonder what the heck's going on. 

Murder Mystery Monthly 49.jpg

A steal imho. I already have one or would have been a bidder. He's all over the place on grading and limited pics so there's wariness but lot's of cool stuff. I did win a couple :whistle:

On 6/24/2023 at 2:49 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Probably George Geygan's greatest cover. My copy that I've posted here before is not super high grade but was one of the few books I kept when I sold my 1st collection to John Warren in the 90's. 

It''s a wraparound so you gotta show 3 views :baiting::cloud9:

It is NOT a wraparound cover.  It's a cover with distinct art on the spine and back as well as the front.

D-194 is a wraparound

AceD194wrap.thumb.jpg.5415acef4dcce8babbbc537343d712d3.jpg

This is three separate pieces:

Ace D 043.jpg

Ace D 043 b.jpg

Ace D 043 c.jpg

On 6/24/2023 at 8:04 PM, OtherEric said:

It is NOT a wraparound cover.  It's a cover with distinct art on the spine and back as well as the front.

D-194 is a wraparound

AceD194wrap.thumb.jpg.5415acef4dcce8babbbc537343d712d3.jpg

This is three separate pieces:

Ace D 043.jpg

Ace D 043 b.jpg

Ace D 043 c.jpg

Ooh.. touchy lol! :wavingwhiteflag::cheers:

I posit it is two pieces then, since the brown curtains wrap to the spine, and agree the back cover is a separate vignette... although taken as a whole is something completely different than the doubles and singles :sumo: