• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,263 posts in this topic

On 7/25/2023 at 4:06 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Of course our pal @Randall Dowling will probably tell ya that "The Private Life of a Street Girl", an Ecstasy Novel Digest cover by George Gross may be the wildest streetwalker cover of all. I'm an equal opportunity collector, I want them all  :drool:

20230725_163951.thumb.jpg.41f9c4c0d6488da4c92ecb13527d37fd.jpg

George Gross is one of the most underappreciated artistic talents, IMO.  And that is one heck of a cover!  Beautiful copy, SA!  :headbang:

On 7/26/2023 at 11:00 AM, BitterOldMan said:

Matt Baker’s version and my cheap missing back cover copy.

GiantComicsEditionsDiarySecrets12.thumb.jpeg.2da7f28558503369b5a5b25c3de4faa2.jpeg

The late Vera Lynn’s Lili Marlene lyrics

Underneath the lantern 
By the barrack gate 
Darling I remember 
The way you used to wait 
'Twas there that you whispered tenderly 
That you loved me
You'd always be 
My Lili of the lamplight 
My own Lili Marlene

Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?

On 7/26/2023 at 3:47 PM, themagicrobot said:

Of course. She died not that long ago aged 103. But wasn't the definitive version of Lili Marleen by Marlene Dietrich?

Vor der Kaserne
Vor dem großen Tor
Stand eine Laterne
Und steht sie noch davor
So woll'n wir uns da wieder seh'n
Bei der Laterne wollen wir steh'n
Wie einst Lili Marleen.

PS Whilst I'm here I note that many of these pulps and paperbacks are purchased more for their covers than their contents. I am having a spell of buying old paperbacks to read. Anything written by Jack Trevor Story is clever and funny and a pleasure from start to finish especially I sit in Hangar Lane where he is compared to Proust. I've sat in a car in a traffic jam in Hanger Lane many times but luckily never had the complicated sex life of Jack's lead characters (all based on his own life which was wilder than his stories)..

flipside.thumb.jpg.eb04ed27a280c26e83a3baad12ec6396.jpg

urbandistrictlover.jpg.c75945bbd186c7849985822ac1f69e9e.jpghangerlane.jpg.8c31dd53d4f4e8b85a92fdf8930806c9.jpgone last mad embrace.jpg

the trouble with harry.jpg

Cool!

1690404600954861848274120320138.jpg

On 7/27/2023 at 5:25 AM, themagicrobot said:

It seems there is (was?) a Jack Trevor Story Memorial Cup (and $1000) presented for humorous writing. In 2009 it was presented by Michael Moorcock. There were conditions:  that the money be spent within two weeks and the recipient have nothing to show for it by the end of that period. This recalls Story’s remark to a bankruptcy judge when asked what had happened to money from his films The Trouble with Harry and Live Now, Pay Later: “You know how it is, judge.  Two hundred or two thousand.  It always lasts a week to a fortnight.”

front.thumb.jpg.a4a63c280b78546713c769735be96065.jpg

back.thumb.jpg.c1f2c5bda4a162499a7b8f36a0b21841.jpg

They went all "Brewster's Millions" style!  Nice...  ;) 

This is probably the right crowd to ask. 

Out picking yesterday, got a big ol' pile of men's adventure magazines. Short on sneering Nazi covers, but  plenty of Yellow Peril covers.
And something I hadn't run across before, a nice group of Cavalier and Saga with Mickey Spillane stories.  Anyone have any experience with them?

50's and early 60's, and it looks like they're going for a good price online. Anyone have any experience with them? 
Midgrade for the most part, with a few gems.  I can supply some pix later today...after I get home from the comic auction, :D 

Edited by catrick339

On 7/29/2023 at 5:30 AM, catrick339 said:

This is probably the right crowd to ask. 

Out picking yesterday, got a big ol' pile of men's adventure magazines. Short on sneering Nazi covers, but  plenty of Yellow Peril covers.
And something I hadn't run across before, a nice group of Cavalier and Saga with Mickey Spillane stories.  Anyone have any experience with them?

50's and early 60's, and it looks like they're going for a good price online. Anyone have any experience with them? 
Midgrade for the most part, with a few gems.  I can supply some pix later today...after I get home from the comic auction, :D