• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,207 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2023 at 1:28 AM, OtherEric said:

Nice!  I've only got five Weird Tales with Conan stories, including the three parts of "Red Nails".  Not nearly as nice as your copy, though:

Weird_Tales_1936_07.jpg

Weird_Tales_1936_08-09.jpg

Weird_Tales_1936_10.jpg

Nice set  (thumbsu   I may have one of them but not the cover story. I really need to try to get that one as one of my "achievable goals" for collecting pulps when I got in was to get all the Conan Weird Tales cover stories. I have most of them, but not "Red Nails" - it's a beauty!

On 8/19/2023 at 5:48 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Moved our daughter off campus for the fall semester at U.F. this weekend :cry: Was tough to say good bye but I came back to this nice piece of unsung Hillman GGA in the mailbox. Fits roughly into my "Girl" set as well :)

Real Detective, February 1947.

20230819_180343.thumb.jpg.fb25ca0a439181299fce6e207c8c809e.jpg

Also this slight upgrade to the magnificent Maguire cover to Jim Thompson's 1st Edition PBO of "Wild Town", Signet 1461 from 1957. Signet mostly published reprints so this one has just about everything going for it and has really disappeared from the market.

20230819_180428.thumb.jpg.290a1132002423ad7c921de8d04c75d4.jpg

Nice grabs, SA!  Wild Town is a very tough book in higher grades and, to my eye, is a top 20 Maguire cover.  (thumbsu

On 8/19/2023 at 6:51 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Nice grabs, SA!  Wild Town is a very tough book in higher grades and, to my eye, is a top 20 Maguire cover.  (thumbsu

This is a book that I have, what I call "Fallen behind on the chase" - meaning I've wanted a very high grade copy for a long time, but I kept not wanting to pay the freight on a very high grade copy, hoping for a bargain to land in my lap. Because I used to see nice copies for $50-100 four or five years ago, but never pulled the trigger, looking for a bargain, but it never happened, and now, any copy is $100 and really nice ones not coming to market doh!  

So I'm chasing it but keep falling further behind or "Falling behind on the chase" for not ponying up when the opportunity arose as it keeps getting harder/more expensive to find.

I get two lessons out of this - trust my instincts, if I love the book for many reasons, so will other collectors, second lesson, pony up if you can when you see a nice one it may keep getting further away from you :preach:

Edited by Surfing Alien

On 8/19/2023 at 7:55 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

back in the late '80s it was still possible to score vintage pbs at general bookstores and even thrift shops. Nonetheless, walking into a Salvation Army and seeing this on top of the bookcase on a little one-book wire rack with no indication that the asking price was no more than one quarter of a US dollar was a collecting epiphany of a monumental nature. Paid that price in a deadpan delirium and it still shines on one of my super shelves.

im940.jpg

It sang to you then and sings to us now. Some books you just know are great the first time you see 'em

On 8/20/2023 at 3:20 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Top 5 to me, along with, what I consider to be it's companion and superior,  probably #1 in my Maguire list... "The Last Days of Sodom and Gomorrah"

Signet paid better and I have no doubt Maguire wanted to impress the art director at this point in time. What a masterpiece of pb art it is...

FB_IMG_1692569733857.thumb.jpg.aa3697f721ca7ae9e184bf73f946c634.jpg

What a great cover that I somehow didn't even notice before. Very pretty copy too.