• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,487 posts in this topic

On 9/17/2023 at 10:08 AM, Darwination said:

I swear this was also used as a pulp cover. It's just *killing* me I can't figure out which.

A very ineffective approach towards strangulation, by the way, but one that lends to an energetic expression -

There's a fair likelihood that this was a re-use by the editors. Goodman was as cheap if not cheaper than most publishers and it was common practice.

Although many of the pre-Atlas digests have what are obviously original compositions by Cardwell Higgins and the like, this one is kind of unique in having only one subject. The signature right next to the head would be unusual in a cutout unless this was cut out of a larger painting that just happened to have the head in a corner somewhere with the signature next to the head. 

Time may tell if enough folks have an eye out for it.

It Ain't Hay LMAO, never seen that before.

I may have to chase down the Woolrich PB.  So good.  A bit of slang, you get "green" when you've had a bit too much - lightweights! - (or rather imbibe after a night drinking, compounding effects).  A nice representation here.

Edited by Darwination

On 9/19/2023 at 5:19 PM, Ryan. said:

20230919_140353.jpg

On 9/19/2023 at 5:19 PM, Ryan. said:

On 9/17/2023 at 7:13 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Most of my surfing time yesterday got took up with my $10 sale thread but I was delighted to find that the postman dropped this in the box. 

20230912_162646.thumb.jpg.a4b07ef35ac8ecd27389d9c5bffc3356.jpg

I've been looking for a high grade copy of this pre-Atlas digest since finding (and posting here) a good copy a couple of years ago. A rare book. It speaks (screams? chokes?) for itself but I think it's one of Saunders sickest covers. Color strike & gloss is... er.. killer :cloud9:

Grabbed the first image there from the latest post in the L.B. Cole thread.

I am a huge Cole fan, but damn, something has gone wrong here, and I'm not talking about the swipe lol

Edited by Darwination

On 9/19/2023 at 7:38 PM, Darwination said:

Grabbed the first image there from the latest post in the L.B. Cole thread.

I am a huge Cole fan, but damn, something has gone wrong here, and I'm not talking about the swipe lol

Woah!

It's the attacker's lop-sided eyes in that Pursued I noticed, but, damn, those are some tiny hands :applause:

That's the second issue of Pursued (a very bad digest name), and the first issue straight up reprints a Manhunt cover (albeit a good one, 1953-04)

excuse the small and crappy image, not mine, from Phil's index:

Pursuedv01n011957-07.DeckercoverreprintsManhunt.jpg.43f902b19d8ff212ff3cadc67e60e0ac.jpg

even the title is chintzy, barely different from Pursuit, a Star title that ran longer and switched over to the alternating bi monthly title switch with Hunted for a bit (Sep-1953 – Nov-1956).  I apparently don't hold a single issue of this magazine.

Check out the cover index if my description of the publication history makes no sense :D

http://www.philsp.com/mags/pursuit.html

There's actually a number of covers I like in there.

A sample issue (n18 1956-11) scanned by Gorgon here includes a story from August Derleth:

https://www.mediafire.com/file_premium/tjmrtdo2y7s71v9/Pursuit_Detective_Story_Magazine_n18_%281956-11.Star_Editions%29%28Gorgon776%29%28c2c%29.cbr/file

PursuitNov1956cover001.thumb.jpg.54c74185480d69467b5dc3af3445e6e1.jpg

Edited by Darwination

Yeah, I'd think these would be big with the paperback crowd just because of the similarity in styles with the gritty noir feel.

Looking around, it might be hard to put a complete run together of these lower tier digests - I really don't know how many copies got printed/kept.  You can easily do it for Manhunt, but it's legendary.

There's a handful of the covers I like (including yours here), but this is my fave (unfortunately another small image)

hunted_detective_story_195502.jpg.ba29bf56942df790b89d360e8f8f86f7.jpg

Edited by Darwination

I'm a huge fan of Ranch Romances, a favorite pulp.  I don't know where it fits on the list of best selling pulps of all time, but I'd guess at least in the top 10 if not top 5.  It had great covers, neat features, and solid fiction that appealed to every member of the household and ran forever.  I don't have very many of them, but I check it out any time a new one gets scanned.

This Gold Medal pb turned up in my eBay emails today (in some random spot).  It's over in England so I'm not messing with the shipping, but I do like the design (via Flickr), Harry Bennett

Alone at Night, front & back