• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,351 posts in this topic

On 9/23/2023 at 8:07 PM, mrwoogieman said:

An eclectic mix from the local junk shop at 2 for $5

IMG_2196.jpeg

I'm not sure that looks like Spencer Tracy :D

I went to the IMDB to refresh my mind on the movie and see I gave it 8/10, so it's a good one.  Sort of a weird modern western iirc where an honest man finds himself in the middle of a dishonest town and involving a unexpectedly sober look at anti-asian discrimination in wartime.

I didn't know there was a literary source (there often is).

Edited by Darwination

On 9/24/2023 at 7:41 AM, Robot Man said:

Here is an interesting book. The only hardback version I have ever run into that reprinted a paperback. There could be more, but I have never seen any, 

IMG_7421.jpeg

Is that a reprint, or did someone rebind a copy of the paperback?  From the bottom of the image, it looks like that might be the edge of the original cover slightly above the new board.

On 9/24/2023 at 11:53 AM, OtherEric said:

Is that a reprint, or did someone rebind a copy of the paperback?  From the bottom of the image, it looks like that might be the edge of the original cover slightly above the new board.

I've seen a several of these over time and thought the same. I haven't seen any reference to them being published this way, but must confess, I haven't dug too deep either.

On 9/24/2023 at 10:34 AM, Robot Man said:

Not something that is ever posted here. But in looking through the few pb boxes I kept when I sold off most of my collection, I found these.

Complete set of the first 20 MAD paperbacks. All first editions and most in very high grade.

First one I ever got was “Son of MAD”. My dad bought it for me to keep me quiet. I read my original to pieces.

I remember seeing “Inside MAD” and wondering what the little images were. I had never seen a comic book version. Started me down the long, dark road of a complete MAD collection. My first was #9.

Starting with “The Bedside MAD” (the start of the magazine reprints), Alfred E Neuman was featured on all the rest of the covers.

An interesting fact. After the JFK assignation, the cover of The MAD Frontier” was revised to this more “ tasteful” cover.

IMG_7418.jpeg

Great set! I've been working on these over the last several months and have to say, it is devilish figuring out what the actual first printings are :devil:  Some of the first numbered, have several printings, then they re-issued them with a new number and same cover, which went through several printings, then went to a new publisher edition with same cover etc. etc. I've mostly figured it out but weeding them out is tough, and for that reason I think those first prints, properly identified are well worth seeking out (and paying a premium for) The books, at first glance seem very common, but those 1sts, not so much, then of course there's condition to consider...

On 9/24/2023 at 8:53 AM, OtherEric said:

Definitely a reprint by Warner Books with a $1.50 price. It is numbered 10 which is the 10th MAD paperback. Because of the numbering, I suspect there are others. I just haven’t run into any others. At this stage, I doubt I will be actively looking for them. 

On 9/24/2023 at 9:20 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Great set! I've been working on these over the last several months and have to say, it is devilish figuring out what the actual first printings are :devil:  Some of the first numbered, have several printings, then they re-issued them with a new number and same cover, which went through several printings, then went to a new publisher edition with same cover etc. etc. I've mostly figured it out but weeding them out is tough, and for that reason I think those first prints, properly identified are well worth seeking out (and paying a premium for) The books, at first glance seem very common, but those 1sts, not so much, then of course there's condition to consider...

I have had most of them for a LONG time. Some I bought new when they came out. I have another 12 or so first editions but am missing a couple. I also have the Don Martin, Dave Berg and Sergio early short runs in first editions and similar condition.

Not real hard to figure the editions in hand but yeah, real hard to find in HG. 

On 9/24/2023 at 9:47 AM, Robot Man said:

Definitely a reprint by Warner Books with a $1.50 price. It is numbered 10 which is the 10th MAD paperback. Because of the numbering, I suspect there are others. I just haven’t run into any others. At this stage, I doubt I will be actively looking for them. 

I've definitely seen a few other paperbacks like that, but I'm not sure if they were MAD paperbacks or not.  I'll keep my eyes out for more like it, just for the discussion here.

On 9/23/2023 at 8:07 PM, mrwoogieman said:

An eclectic mix from the local junk shop at 2 for $5

IMG_2196.jpeg

IMG_2197.jpeg

IMG_2198.jpeg

IMG_2199.jpeg

IMG_2200.jpeg

IMG_2201.jpeg

IMG_2202.jpeg

IMG_2203.jpeg

IMG_2204.jpeg

IMG_2205.jpeg

IMG_2206.jpeg

IMG_2207.jpeg

IMG_2208.jpeg

I just finished reading Ursula LeGuin's The Tombs of Atuan yesterday. I started the third book in the trilogy today (The Farthest Shore). I never read them when I was younger, but they are really, really good YA fantasy IMHO.

On 9/24/2023 at 7:34 AM, Robot Man said:

Not something that is ever posted here. But in looking through the few pb boxes I kept when I sold off most of my collection, I found these.

Complete set of the first 20 MAD paperbacks. All first editions and most in very high grade.

First one I ever got was “Son of MAD”. My dad bought it for me to keep me quiet. I read my original to pieces.

I remember seeing “Inside MAD” and wondering what the little images were. I had never seen a comic book version. Started me down the long, dark road of a complete MAD collection. My first was #9.

Starting with “The Bedside MAD” (the start of the magazine reprints), Alfred E Neuman was featured on all the rest of the covers.

An interesting fact. After the JFK assignation, the cover of The MAD Frontier” was revised to this more “ tasteful” cover.

IMG_7418.jpeg

I do find it interesting how Gaines felt the name to slap his name on several volumes after Kurtzman left...