• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,263 posts in this topic

On 9/30/2023 at 1:16 PM, Surfing Alien said:

An incredible collection he had and I'm not surprised at all with the results. I also agree about a general jump in interest for vintage books. I'm certainly seeing it in the inability to place or replace desirable vintage paperbacks, especially 40's & 50's books.

Here's a link to the results:

https://www.christies.com/auction/auction-21924-cks/browse-lots?page=3&sortby=lotnumber

and my take on the sale is that this is a spectacular collection - a case of the stars aligning perfectly. A very famous and beloved provenance with impeccable taste and the pockets to obtain the very best of what he collected. Who knew???

There certainly haven’t been any bargains in Heritage’s book auctions.

On 9/29/2023 at 11:16 PM, Surfing Alien said:

An incredible collection he had and I'm not surprised at all with the results. I also agree about a general jump in interest for vintage books. I'm certainly seeing it in the inability to place or replace desirable vintage paperbacks, especially 40's & 50's books.

Here's a link to the results:

https://www.christies.com/auction/auction-21924-cks/browse-lots?page=3&sortby=lotnumber

and my take on the sale is that this is a spectacular collection - a case of the stars aligning perfectly. A very famous and beloved provenance with impeccable taste and the pockets to obtain the very best of what he collected. Who knew???

Some truly amazing stuff in there.  The Chandler, the Fitzgerald, the Black Mask, wow.