• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,253 posts in this topic

On 10/2/2023 at 9:55 PM, Darwination said:

"Famous Writer About the Mystery of the Universe" ... FREAKS AGAINST SUPERMEN  lmao, love this.

One of the most understated blurbs ever lol  I always think of "Revenge Of The Nerds" when I see this title. Of course you gotta root for the Freaks at that point....lol 

I seem to have had a distinct lack of robot in my collection for National Robot Day :D

To go with Hungry Men back there, a much later PB.  I wonder where you guys stop collecting in terms of "vintage" pbs?  I kind of like this one because it's Anderson through the lens of the 70s revival of 30s hoodlumism. .

ThievesLikeUs-EdwardAndersoncoverphoto.thumb.jpg.aa0418bc92bb515bd46f9ba6dac6d6d1.jpg

Edited by Darwination

On 10/3/2023 at 4:49 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

and, speak of the devil, here's a recent acquisition that I like a lot, especially as I collect Elisabeth Sanxay Holding...

speakofthedevil.jpg

That's a killer design.  I love how the Harlequin logo is sort of worked in between the madame and the devil.

On 10/3/2023 at 4:13 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

cool: you've got the one about my Dad in there. here we are...
from Forbes 2008:
The lessons learned in the Solomons were soon applied in the Central Pacific, where Calhoun and his staff developed a revolutionary concept: the floating base. Atolls like Majuro in the Marshall Islands had little land to offer, but they enclosed capacious lagoons, which Calhoun could stuff full of tenders, cargo ships, ammunition carriers, salvage tugs, minesweepers, oil tankers, repair ships, floating dry-docks, hospital ships and assorted barges.
In March 1945, Calhoun finally exchanged his bureaucrat's office at Pearl Harbor for a fighting admiral's command. He was named to fill Halsey's old slot as South Pacific commander. Alas for Calhoun, by this point the South Pacific was a backwater region; the fighting had shifted northwest to the Philippines and Okinawa. So Calhoun remained in a support role for the duration of the war, and then disappeared into the historical obscurity that is a supply officer's lot. His death in 1963 generated no worshipful obituaries like those lavished on Spruance and Halsey.
But posterity threw Calhoun at least one lifeline. Among his wartime subordinates was one James A. Michener, a lieutenant commander with literary ambitions. After the war, Michener fictionalized his experiences in his Pulitzer Prize-winning book, Tales of the South Pacific. Calhoun presumably was a model for Millard Kester, Michener's fictional admiral, who--unlike Calhoun--finally gets to command an invasion force and win a battle.
Michener's book inspired the classic musical "South Pacific," now back on Broadway in a critically acclaimed revival, which currently is the hottest ticket in town. Featured prominently in the plot is a group of Seabees--naval construction workers--whose job falls under the heading of logistics rather than combat. So the continued success of "South Pacific" provides a bit of reflected glory for Michener's old boss, William Calhoun, the logistics expert who contributed so much to America's victory over Japan. 

CIMG4308.JPG

Awesome bit of history! Who’s the little guy in the photo? Is it a certain paperback collector?? hm

On 10/3/2023 at 5:13 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

cool: you've got the one about my Dad in there. here we are...
from Forbes 2008:
The lessons learned in the Solomons were soon applied in the Central Pacific, where Calhoun and his staff developed a revolutionary concept: the floating base. Atolls like Majuro in the Marshall Islands had little land to offer, but they enclosed capacious lagoons, which Calhoun could stuff full of tenders, cargo ships, ammunition carriers, salvage tugs, minesweepers, oil tankers, repair ships, floating dry-docks, hospital ships and assorted barges.
In March 1945, Calhoun finally exchanged his bureaucrat's office at Pearl Harbor for a fighting admiral's command. He was named to fill Halsey's old slot as South Pacific commander. Alas for Calhoun, by this point the South Pacific was a backwater region; the fighting had shifted northwest to the Philippines and Okinawa. So Calhoun remained in a support role for the duration of the war, and then disappeared into the historical obscurity that is a supply officer's lot. His death in 1963 generated no worshipful obituaries like those lavished on Spruance and Halsey.
But posterity threw Calhoun at least one lifeline. Among his wartime subordinates was one James A. Michener, a lieutenant commander with literary ambitions. After the war, Michener fictionalized his experiences in his Pulitzer Prize-winning book, Tales of the South Pacific. Calhoun presumably was a model for Millard Kester, Michener's fictional admiral, who--unlike Calhoun--finally gets to command an invasion force and win a battle.
Michener's book inspired the classic musical "South Pacific," now back on Broadway in a critically acclaimed revival, which currently is the hottest ticket in town. Featured prominently in the plot is a group of Seabees--naval construction workers--whose job falls under the heading of logistics rather than combat. So the continued success of "South Pacific" provides a bit of reflected glory for Michener's old boss, William Calhoun, the logistics expert who contributed so much to America's victory over Japan. 

CIMG4308.JPG

Wonderful bit there Pat! Is the urchin at his knee our esteemed boardie?

On 10/4/2023 at 8:39 PM, moonpool said:

Well, after many years searching, I find one of my big Heades

IMG-1543.jpg

Wow! Stupendous looking copy as well! I know it's rare because (not necessarily in order lol )

a) I've learned a thing or two about Heade and the UK gangster pbs from you and others and never seen it, and...

b) it was one of your big wants after many years!

The image itself is awesome. A top shelf Heade in my book :takeit: