• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,263 posts in this topic

@Surfing Alien  Do you know what the pay rate tended to be per cover for paperbacks?  I'd guess it varied from the "high end" to the "low end," but I can tell some of these great artists were working pretty damn fast on these.

The rates I've heard on the girlie pulps (and this is probably mid 30s rates) would be like $100 for the big names and lines and $50 on the low end.  

On 10/23/2023 at 3:41 PM, Darwination said:

@Surfing Alien  Do you know what the pay rate tended to be per cover for paperbacks?  I'd guess it varied from the "high end" to the "low end," but I can tell some of these great artists were working pretty damn fast on these.

The rates I've heard on the girlie pulps (and this is probably mid 30s rates) would be like $100 for the big names and lines and $50 on the low end.  

In the 50's by most accounts that I recall, $200-300 was an average for well known guys, cheap was $100-150.

Intriguing, I have a Janson or few (picked up for the Heade covers), but I don't think I've actually read one.

Not a particularly informative wiki but interesting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Janson

Didn't find much on the web, though Steve Holland has a book:

https://www.amazon.com/Trials-Hank-Janson-Steve-Holland/dp/B0CHGH2BHJ

Seems we have some on this thread who are collectors of said materials :)