• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,310 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2023 at 4:07 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Some Friday Fun...

Hardman by David Karp   Lion Books 119.    Cover art by Victor Prezio, another excellent painter in Goodman's  artist stable.

This is just about the definition of hard boiled. The back cover blurbs are "intriguing". It's pretty nice but not so nice I won't give it a read.

20231027_170053.thumb.jpg.9b5dc0520556edceca173fc49e84960f.jpg

20231027_170100.thumb.jpg.57987cd3598e032b438b8d9ef36e4c3a.jpg

The title is hilarious.  How often did Vic sign?

On 10/29/2023 at 12:16 AM, OtherEric said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That Strange Barriers spells it right out. Some interracial offerings of that period were comparatively more subtle: this one veers towards the outright exploitive camp. 

The sub-genres in paperback collecting are fascinating, just as in book collecting in general. I bought some nice hardcovers from a gentleman at a show whose father collected and catalogued many early sci-fi books, including “lost civilizations“ of which I purchased a few. Two main arteries of that lost civilization genre seemed to focus on Meso-American societies and the lost tribes of Africa (think Cecil Rhodes era). As a kid, I thought ERB was sort of the spark that ignited the genre, but it was apparently already well established. 

What stood out to me on Strange Barriers were the great authors listed.  Race mixing was taboo mid-century but you see a ton of it in the paperbacks, and it gets sensationalized in true crime, sweats and other genres of mags, too.  They use the word "strange" in the south (and I imagine elsewhere, too) when you're with someone besides your spouse, so I guess this is extra strange (:

On 10/29/2023 at 4:27 PM, Darwination said:

What stood out to me on Strange Barriers were the great authors listed.  Race mixing was taboo mid-century but you see a ton of it in the paperbacks, and it gets sensationalized in true crime, sweats and other genres of mags, too.  They use the word "strange" in the south (and I imagine elsewhere, too) when you're with someone besides your spouse, so I guess this is extra strange (:

Some more images since people are expressing interest.  @Darwination called it when he mentioned the author list, the “and others” has some pretty heavy hitters as well:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 10/29/2023 at 6:58 PM, OtherEric said:

Some more images since people are expressing interest.  @Darwination called it when he mentioned the author list, the “and others” has some pretty heavy hitters as well:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'm assuming that's the Battle Royal scene from Invisible Man, in my opinion one of the funniest pieces in all of American literature.  And the "L" word isn't one I tend to use too much around comics and pulp people, so sue me.  Langston Hughes is also great.  My first public grade school is now named after him in my hometown of Lawrence, Kansas.  And leading off with Faulkner?  What a cool collection.  The back cover is really good, too. 

You can talk about race mixing as lurid subject matter but you also have to give the paperbacks much respect for even printing some of the more controversial black authors who weren't getting hardcover editions.

Edited by Darwination

Not mine but in a large posting by a no doubt well-known eBay seller today of sweats and pbs that I suspect many of us have already come upon in our eBay emails

s-l1600.jpg

Always scintillating how the other half lives. There's all these "race" novels, but I've been very curious about what is maybe even a larger segment of the PBs, not even what you'd term it, hillbillysploitation? One I saw in that batch on eBay, but I'll post Flickr images from Steve since they are so good.  The back cover blurb probably gets to the appeal

Novel Books 5004 - Glenn Low - Backhill Sinners Novel Books 5004 - Glenn Low - Backhill Sinners (back)

I see words like "swamp" "hillbilly" "backwoods" etc. with the insinuation that everybody in these realms is always living wild and free.

Maybe the last segment of the population it's still o.k. to stereotype?  (but, you know, not really o.k.)

Edited by Darwination

On 10/31/2023 at 12:27 PM, Darwination said:

Not mine but in a large posting by a no doubt well-known eBay seller today of sweats and pbs that I suspect many of us have already come upon in our eBay emails

s-l1600.jpg

Always scintillating how the other half lives. There's all these "race" novels, but I've been very curious about what is maybe even a larger segment of the PBs, not even what you'd term it, hillbillysploitation? One I saw in that batch on eBay, but I'll post Flickr images from Steve since they are so good.  The back cover blurb probably gets to the appeal

Novel Books 5004 - Glenn Low - Backhill Sinners Novel Books 5004 - Glenn Low - Backhill Sinners (back)

I see words like "swamp" "hillbilly" "backwoods" etc. with the insinuation that everybody in these realms is always living wild and free.

Maybe the last segment of the population it's still o.k. to stereotype?  (but, you know, not really o.k.)

Oh, yeah, I could fill a box or two with hillbilly exploitation. It was definitely a thing, some of it funny and some of it pretty mean spirited and definitely not ok.