• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,236 posts in this topic

On 12/2/2023 at 9:42 PM, jimjum12 said:

The PB version of a "creepy dude" cover ...

George Ziel cover art on that one.

Raymond Johnson on "Convention Queen"

Robert Maguire on "The Deadly September"

Robert Stanley on "The Wicked, Wicked Women"

Not sure who did the 2 sleaze titles but better artists than usual for sure.

On 12/3/2023 at 5:39 PM, Surfing Alien said:

George Ziel cover art on that one.

Raymond Johnson on "Convention Queen"

Robert Maguire on "The Deadly September"

Robert Stanley on "The Wicked, Wicked Women"

Not sure who did the 2 sleaze titles but better artists than usual for sure.

Thanks for this... I was especially curious about Convention Queen, as I've seen several covers where part is just sketched out, I like them. I wouldn't have thought Johnson, as his style had such a pulp feel in the 50's. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 12/3/2023 at 1:21 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Great books, Jimbo!  I was perusing the Twitter posts of Pulp Librarian and came across this fun image.  Obviously not a successful model but I enjoy seeing these attempts.

PocketBookVendingMachine.thumb.jpg.3ef8c372096d77a7709fa0ee8b4e4652.jpg\

If you're looking for a fun, deep dive on all manner of paperbacks and vintage publications, check out their posts.  Be warned, it's a very deep dive...

I wonder if any of those still exist?

On 12/4/2023 at 7:08 AM, Sarg said:

I wonder if any of those still exist?

I’ve never seen one, and I’ve dabbled in coin-operated machines for many years. I would guess a few exist, however, just based on the law of averages. I have cigarette and candy vending machines from this era - and roughly that size - as well as many countertop vendors for things like postage stamps, aspirin, and ballpoint pens. 

Edited by PopKulture

On 12/4/2023 at 5:24 PM, Warlord said:

Spotted a few interesting paperbacks on a visit to an antique store.  Didn't bring them home, instead just took the pics to share them.  But the very nice condition on Untamed Darling almost sold me on that one! :ohnoez:

PXL_20231116_164934864.thumb.jpg.a3c4d530ecd8c7c1bcb79a27068efd47.jpgPXL_20231116_164950725_MP.thumb.jpg.23a5e2a8fc062335b5d932f84a2c155a.jpgPXL_20231116_165012484.thumb.jpg.9fcc34dd40e3c562b8a8c608ec86e50a.jpgPXL_20231116_165020956_MP.thumb.jpg.4b9c5343c3eaeec13470eccbafd857b8.jpg

They’re sensibly-priced at least, if you took the plunge. Both the Untamed Darling and Dangerous Love have Peter Driben covers (he did numerous covers for the Harrison mags like Wink, Titter, Eyeful and Beauty Parade) and I’ll Kill You Next has a nice McGuire cover.  You can’t go wrong with those! 

I think Books published by 'LA' Bantam Books were sold exclusively through vending machines in the Los Angeles area. I remember being told years ago that someone down there had an example of one of the machines. In my many years of Estate & Yard Sales, Antique Shows etc I've never seen a paperback vending machine either!

On 12/4/2023 at 6:54 PM, PopKulture said:

They’re sensibly-priced at least, if you took the plunge. Both the Untamed Darling and Dangerous Love have Peter Driben covers (he did numerous covers for the Harrison mags like Wink, Titter, Eyeful and Beauty Parade) and I’ll Kill You Next has a nice McGuire cover.  You can’t go wrong with those! 

Those are nice looking copies. If I was you I'd be marching right back to that store and getting them in hand at that price, for all the reasons PopKulture just pointed out (thumbsu

Unless, of course, you were afraid of "the bug" :whatthe:

On 12/3/2023 at 10:14 PM, jimjum12 said:

Thanks for this... I was especially curious about Convention Queen, as I've seen several covers where part is just sketched out, I like them. I wouldn't have thought Johnson, as his style had such a pulp feel in the 50's. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Almost every pb artist changed or tried different styles in the late 50's, early 60's  as art directors prominently chased sales with what different pb houses were trying out, art wise.

The technique of having a main image fully painted, suspended over a sketch was widely experimented with pb and magazine digest artists at this time. Convention Queen is a definite Johnson, the model looks like Diana Dors, who he used several times, probably from tear sheets rather than live model.

On 12/4/2023 at 8:45 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Those are nice looking copies. If I was you I'd be marching right back to that store and getting them in hand at that price, for all the reasons PopKulture just pointed out (thumbsu

Unless, of course, you were afraid of "the bug" :whatthe:

Oh, I have the bug, but my meds are able to keep it under control. Barely. lol