• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,158 posts in this topic

On 1/2/2024 at 2:13 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Some of them are pretty pedestrian art-wise (I can imagine it may have been tough to get top straight artists to paint this stuff) but I like this one. I've seen PEC line books before and they definitely have better art than most adult titles.

In this case the author Carl Corley is also the cover artist! He painted his own covers for most of the ~22 books he wrote and published.

On 1/3/2024 at 10:19 PM, Warlord said:

Had this misfiled and just found it again. The Blonde in Black!

TheBlondeInBlack-f.thumb.jpg.8a4b352f5f3b96b5eef8459f3797940e.jpgTheBlondeInBlack-b.thumb.jpg.b98314bcc85422bd0b46de8f2f830a19.jpg

Such a sweet Barye Phillips bad girl cover image. Unfortunate that it was dwarfed by the invasion of the GIANT FONTS that infected art directors' souls around this time :sorry:  Not bad typography at least tho... still a cool cover

As a big RSG aficionado, I thought this was interesting :whatthe:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/books/vintage-paperbacks/reform-school-girl-nn-reprint-edition-diversey-1948-cgc-vg-35-cream-to-off-white-pages/p/40254-16001.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417#40254-16001

I'm pretty sure it's the copy Dale Roberts had on his website recently that jimjum pointed out here, the rust on the staples looks the same iirc, although I did not save a scan of the book when it was for sale.

I've thought about sending my copies in for some time, just because, but have never liked the look of the giant case with the digest sized mags they slab. Seeing it now kind of reinforces that feeling. If they produced a smaller sized slab for the digests I'd be much more inclined to get a bunch of mine slabbed.

The large slabs for digests was already a known issue but what I'm really not thrilled with is the labeling and wanted to see what y'all thought.  Two things bug me, the most egregious is the prominent labeling of it as "Reprint Edition" - although this is technically correct, since it reprints an earlier hardcover edition (which was titled "House of Fury"), I think that nomer calls into question it's originality/authenticity, as if it were a later reprint of the rare digest it is (like the fairly recent "journal" with the RSG cover reprinted on it that can be found for sale around the web). I think it should be described as the First Paperback edition, since that is also technically accurate and doesn't have the negative connotation of calling it a reprint, and also leaves the door open for the small Avon "House of Fury" edition and the later Berkley HOF edition to be called the 2nd and 3rd paperback editions.

The other thing is the notation that it was "distributed with page 2 removed by the publisher", which, again is technically accurate, but how would they label copies like mine and @Robot Man's that have the letters page intact? Not sure how they would handle that other than to indicate "distributed with page 2 intact by the publisher" - although neither of those declarations makes it clear that there are two states with one even rarer than the other.

All that aside, it will be interesting to see where it ends up. The hype in the listing is hilarious and blatantly false, as you can see 5 previous copies listed in their past auction history. Still infinitely less than the dozens of sales of the later comic book that swiped the cover. I'm not a fan of the staple rust but it's pretty nice otherwise for a 3.5, the central image is clear and bright. I'm pretty sure both of mine would garner 6.0 or north thereof, likewise for Robot Man's copy, although I've only seen front cover scans of his. Anyway, it was fun to see what RSG looks like in a slab!

It looks horrible.  Even with a proper fit, a slab is a horrible frame for art.  They aren't an even width around the sides like a picture frame, denote no edge, and have the tacky notes and holographs at the top.  Slabs are ugly in the first place, and it looks utterly ridiculous in this instance with all that space around the book.  And then you get the newton rings and mess, no thanks.

On the other hand, some mooks are happy to pay multiple of a book's value if it's in plastic, so I'm not gonna judge anybody for following the dollar.

It's hard to beat the way a paperback looks with the right sized bag and board even if they do seem to want to jump off the shelf in display mode sometimes.

Edited by Darwination

On 1/5/2024 at 8:00 PM, Darwination said:

It looks horrible.  Even with a proper fit, a slab is a horrible frame for art.  They aren't an even width around the sides like a picture frame, denote no edge, and have the tacky notes and holographs at the top.  Slabs are ugly in the first place, and it looks utterly ridiculous in this instance with all that space around the book.  And then you get the newton rings and mess, no thanks.

On the other hand, some mooks are happy to pay multiple of a books value if it's in plastic, so I'm not gonna judge anybody for following the dollar.

It's hard to beat the way a paperback looks with the right sized bag and board even if they do seem to want to jump off the shelf in display mode sometimes.

Tell us how you REALLY feel! lol:devil:  Agree mostly but it serves its purpose at least if it fits properly!

On 1/2/2024 at 5:08 PM, Black Cactus said:

Oh man, there's so many gems that I laugh over. I've bought as many books because I found the cover/title hilarious, as any other reason.

Welcome to the boards and this wonderful thread! During my quick scroll through your gay-risque books, I thought the last one was called Andy Sex Will Do, at first glance!

xD

On 1/6/2024 at 10:48 AM, Robot Man said:

All good points. I wonder if you could request a comic book slab. Would present much nicer than a magazine slab. I would request “letter page intact” if I graded mine. I doubt most folks don’t get much further than the cover and probably have no idea about the significance of the letter page. Will be interesting to see what this one goes for. When does it close? Here is mine with the controversial letters page.

IMG_8037.jpeg

IMG_8038.jpeg

IMG_8040.jpeg

IMG_8042.jpeg

Thanks, RM, for posting the controversial page, an interesting read - I'd like to read the rest of it now.

On 1/6/2024 at 2:42 PM, Darwination said:

Thanks, RM, for posting the controversial page, an interesting read - I'd like to read the rest of it now.

RM has been the eye in the sky since the "get-go." I still remember when he found us, it was like going from the stone to iron age. When I'm gone for a minute, the first thread I check, is his 50 year effort. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/6/2024 at 11:48 AM, Robot Man said:

All good points. I wonder if you could request a comic book slab. Would present much nicer than a magazine slab. I would request “letter page intact” if I graded mine. I doubt most folks don’t get much further than the cover and probably have no idea about the significance of the letter page. Will be interesting to see what this one goes for. When does it close? Here is mine with the controversial letters page.

IMG_8037.jpeg

IMG_8038.jpeg

IMG_8040.jpeg

IMG_8042.jpeg

It's in the 2024 February 8 Golden Age Comics Showcase Auction Featuring the Secret Sound Collection #40254

Your back cover looks as nice or nicer than the front (thumbsu

It's true most people don't get past the cover but the book itself is considered a JD/Lesbian classic. Although I know the letters page is not in the small paperback version, I never had the hardcover so don't know if they were original to the book contents without doing some digging. The letters certainly are sleazy inbred fare but I wonder why Marty Collins' father got so upset about them when he'd allowed her to pose like this at 17 in the first place hm (although as many have pointed out she sure doesn't look 17 here)

On 1/6/2024 at 4:44 PM, Surfing Alien said:

It's in the 2024 February 8 Golden Age Comics Showcase Auction Featuring the Secret Sound Collection #40254

Your back cover looks as nice or nicer than the front (thumbsu

It's true most people don't get past the cover but the book itself is considered a JD/Lesbian classic. Although I know the letters page is not in the small paperback version, I never had the hardcover so don't know if they were original to the book contents without doing some digging. The letters certainly are sleazy inbred fare but I wonder why Marty Collins' father got so upset about them when he'd allowed her to pose like this at 17 in the first place hm (although as many have pointed out she sure doesn't look 17 here)

The digest is out of my range, but the House of Fury paperback really is still quite affordable, I should get one before it goes crazy...