• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,236 posts in this topic

On 12/20/2023 at 11:30 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

This one's on my short list for the 'Great American Novel'. First published in 1935, Penguin-Signet put out the first PB edition in May 1948 due to the book's growing reputation in Europe as an enduring classic.

img611.jpg

I'd never read this one despite it being McCoy's most famous, so I stuck it on my nightstand when you gave it the old "Great American Novel" status.

I read it this week.  Total stunner/bummer.  I guess McCoy worked as a bouncer on a pier in Santa Monica, and the experience led to the story.

It kind of reminds me of Camus' The Stranger in some ways - "existential novel," to be or not to be, etc. 

Lots of McCoy in Black Mask, apparently, some in Brief Stories, not easy pulps to get ahold of :I

Edited by Darwination

On 1/13/2024 at 8:56 AM, Darwination said:

I'd never read this one despite it being McCoy's most famous, so I stuck it on my nightstand when you gave it the old "Great American Novel" status.

I read it this week.  Total stunner/bummer.  I guess McCoy worked as a bouncer on a pier in Santa Monica, and the experience helped him write this one.

It kind of reminds me of Camus' The Stranger in some ways - "existential novel," to be or not to be, etc. 

Lots of McCoy in Black Mask, apparently, some in Brief Stories, not easy pulps to get ahold of :I

A great Book! If you liked this try DAY OF THE LOCUST or MISS LONELYHEARTS by Nathanael West. Not nearly as grim, but also top notch '30's 'Noir-like' Novels.

I'm a huge fan of both those books.  Miss Lonelyhearts is gut-bustingly funny. I think A Cool Million is underrated as well.

This little hardcover with both of those books probably isn't rare or valuable or anything but is a much loved volume on my shelves:

20240113_111119.thumb.jpg.b98527f4c216a03472c5a243b184e01b.jpg

All 3 might be just as philosophically grim as They Shoot Horses, but at least you are laughing all the while :kidaround:

Edited by Darwination

On 1/15/2024 at 11:12 AM, johnenock said:

This just arrived:

Book0063_fddc1b2f-b013-4af1-8ddd-dacbf144786a.jpg

That series has consistently strong covers. These Paperbacks are cool to me. Some of the covers are just over the top, they're mostly still cheap, and they can be found in grade with a little patience. Something in PB that costs 100 dollars would be 10K if it were a comic. It's cheap enough to still be fun. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu