• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,263 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2024 at 9:55 AM, jimjum12 said:

Another issue that exists with almost all paper collectibles that come in a collated format are the attributes. How much gloss is on the covers? How supple is it? For example, Avons from the 40's and 50's. If they have that full Avon gloss ( ...which is wondrous to behold), I can overlook a small crease or two at the Fine range. I do know I am VERY reluctant to buy from a merchant who provides no images. As with both women and printed collectibles, one man's "fine" is another man's "oh, HELL no!". GOD BLESS ....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I'm a bit picky, and I often see certified 6.0 comics that I wouldn't pay VG money for. Even more so with raw. 

Alongside the gloss issue, is the lamination issue, many pb's. early 50's Avons, notably, have lamination, which, when fully intact, imbues a new looking gloss that is tough to beat, perception-wise. It is very hit or miss, the periods when different publishers employed it. Most of them only doing it for limited lengths of their runs.

On 2/11/2024 at 2:39 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

well, that said, if you get hold of one of these that you think is too pretty to read make sure you get a reader copy too because the upper right BC blurb is severe understatement. this is not just a book, but a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hang out with a wise and wonderful voice that will help you to the end of your days: may you live long and prosper.

0newts.jpg

0newtsbc.jpg

I have a pretty nice copy of this that's not perfect that will probably serve as a decent reader. I'm putting it on the TBR pile as well.

On 2/12/2024 at 8:42 PM, jimjum12 said:

Here's some more Avons, but I admit I prefer the standard circular logo that was featured on most of the comics. GOD BLESS ... 

PB46.jpg

PB45.jpg

PB42.jpg

PB43.jpg

PB28.jpg

PB15.jpg

5 Raymond Johnson's and a George Erickson cover. The Golden Age of Avon :cloud9:  The "round circle" period is so packed with great covers and a nice uniform look (thumbsu

On 2/12/2024 at 9:03 PM, jimjum12 said:

This is another that always gets me ... and it's a ringer.

`

PB121.webp

Barye Phillips cover, quite evocative of The Road - such a brilliant artist. He could and did paint in every style, prolifically for almost every publisher. No one comes close to his volume/per year of painting.

On 2/12/2024 at 9:21 PM, OtherEric said:

An excellent book, Piper was a marvelous writer.  Not the best ear for titles, perhaps… Space Viking is a horrible title in my opinion… but a great writer 

I loved this book, one of the few Science Fiction books actually introduced to me by my youngest sister long after I was into it. I had an older sister who introduced me to the Heinlein juveniles when I was about 11, which was the death knell.

On 2/13/2024 at 1:21 PM, OtherEric said:

I like the slight variant they used for the Avon Fantasy Novels.  I think there were only three... two as their own series and one in the regular numbering:

Avon Fantasy Novel 1.jpg

Avon Fantasy Novel 2.jpg

Avon_281.jpg

Yup, Earthman on Venus (No. 285) was supposed to be the 4th but they dropped the Fantasy Novels logo for it

On 2/13/2024 at 10:37 AM, Surfing Alien said:

I loved this book, one of the few Science Fiction books actually introduced to me by my youngest sister long after I was into it. I had an older sister who introduced me to the Heinlein juveniles when I was about 11, which was the death knell.

It’s a great book, but the friend who introduced me to Piper beyond the Fuzzies books was super apologetic about the title and I’ve carried on the tradition.  

On 2/12/2024 at 9:14 PM, jimjum12 said:

You know it's true smut if it has a Bonfils front cover and a pink back cover :cloud9: All true smut has a pink back cover. GOD BLESS ...

PB31.jpg

PB31b.jpg

Actually, true smut knows no boundaries such as these lol

20240213_133306.thumb.jpg.1b88e853a8bd9948e595d986f1e2cdad.jpg

20240213_133313.thumb.jpg.640f14d5034c45a22b98f0f8ceb50c65.jpg

I don't know who did this cover but it was so bizarre, I had to have it, even if it doesn't fit into my "I'm ok if my daughter discovers this in my things when I die" limitations lol

On 2/13/2024 at 1:28 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Barye Phillips cover, quite evocative of The Road - such a brilliant artist. He could and did paint in every style, prolifically for almost every publisher. No one comes close to his volume/per year of painting.

I had to have that one. It seems fairly available in a used condition, but I haven't seen the unread ones much. I know I'm a grade snob, but only because I've either already read them, or don't really need to. Some are just covers, and my eyesight won't do PB's any more, as far as reading goes. Something about a classic with a good cover. :cloud9: I paid a little over a hundred for it, and money's tight right now. GOD BLESS ...

jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

This was more affordable ...

784XRzl.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

On 2/13/2024 at 1:46 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Actually, true smut knows no boundaries such as these lol

20240213_133306.thumb.jpg.1b88e853a8bd9948e595d986f1e2cdad.jpg

20240213_133313.thumb.jpg.640f14d5034c45a22b98f0f8ceb50c65.jpg

I don't know who did this cover but it was so bizarre, I had to have it, even if it doesn't fit into my "I'm ok if my daughter discovers this in my things when I die" limitations lol

My boy LOVES them, but he's 30something. I caught him inspecting "Mama Dyke" the other day. I told him I'll try not to sell them all before I die. GOD BLESS ...

On 2/13/2024 at 2:48 PM, jimjum12 said:

I had to have that one. It seems fairly available in a used condition, but I haven't seen the unread ones much. I know I'm a grade snob, but only because I've either already read them, or don't really need to. Some are just covers, and my eyesight won't do PB's any more, as far as reading goes. Something about a classic with a good cover. :cloud9: I paid a little over a hundred for it, and money's tight right now. GOD BLESS ...

jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

This was more affordable ...

784XRzl.jpg

That's a pretty tough early Midwood with no number. Nice copy. I appreciate your high grade snobbishness. It is tough not to love high grade vintage pb's but I've also learned that some books, you just have to be happy to have a decent looking copy at all.

On 2/13/2024 at 3:48 PM, Surfing Alien said:

That's a pretty tough early Midwood with no number. Nice copy. I appreciate your high grade snobbishness. It is tough not to love high grade vintage pb's but I've also learned that some books, you just have to be happy to have a decent looking copy at all.

I'm willing to settle if need be. I'd likely want at least a "SVG". GOD BLESS ...

On 2/13/2024 at 2:48 PM, Surfing Alien said:
On 2/13/2024 at 1:48 PM, jimjum12 said:

784XRzl.jpg

Extremely tough in grade.  I have a lot of Midwoods and I don't have one.  Nice pick up, James!  :headbang: