• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,215 posts in this topic

Midwood seems to be a bit of a "gold standard" .... almost always intrigueing in some form or another. I was actually unaware, this one was reasonable and I liked the cover. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 2/13/2024 at 6:44 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Here's one I just upgraded to after several years of looking. Definitely one you have to be willing to "settle" for a decent copy (if any) This is a high grade copy, one of the best I've seen.

Every collector of Bond wants one and they don't exist in high grade because the cover inks are so poor and the glue on the thin spine so brittle. Usually found separated from the spine and the covers heavily scratched. Only one printing as well because Fleming's agent fired Popular Library for changing the title (and Bond's name to "Jimmy")  Top it off with a sweet Raymond Johnson Good Girl cover (for which Bond looks more like Raymond Johnson than James Bond, and his drink neither shaken nor stirred lol) and you have a tough, tough book. Fleming's first in the USA.

20240213_130908.thumb.jpg.6389158b6a8f97ebdde54cc72e195a22.jpg

20240213_130914.thumb.jpg.8d7e8b7008e6653757be37c194c26776.jpg

The name is Bond, Jimmy Bond. hm

On 2/13/2024 at 6:55 PM, Darwination said:

The name is Bond, Jimmy Bond. hm

Have you ever seen the very first filmed James Bond?  It was live TV, with an American Jimmy Bond, a British Felix Leiter, and Peter Lorre as the first Bond Villain.

On 2/16/2024 at 4:57 PM, Surfing Alien said:

20240216_112903.thumb.jpg.8a17737f4308bd93850c66c4fd47c5fa.jpghriCraft 

I've come close to snagging one, and I never noticed that badazz Chris Craft circling Lady Liberty ... what a cool touch. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

Question ?

Is this a Harlan Ellison byline? I heard he got started in the JD craze of the 50's. GOD BLESS ... 

wU5LpWl.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

On 2/19/2024 at 10:46 AM, jimjum12 said:

Question ?

Is this a Harlan Ellison byline? I heard he got started in the JD craze of the 50's. GOD BLESS ... 

wU5LpWl.jpg

Hal Ellson is a totally different author, although even Ellison noted they were confused with one another due to the similar names.

On 2/19/2024 at 1:49 PM, OtherEric said:

Hal Ellson is a totally different author, although even Ellison noted they were confused with one another due to the similar names.

(thumbsu

I've seen it claimed and denied at different times and was confused. GOD BLESS ...