• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,263 posts in this topic

On 2/19/2024 at 12:49 PM, OtherEric said:

Hal Ellson is a totally different author, although even Ellison noted they were confused with one another due to the similar names.

Yes, that's a very common and very understandable mistake.  I thought the same thing until coming across an interview with Ellison discussing that same confusion.

What makes it even more challenging is that, as James correctly noted, they both had their heyday with JD material.  Pretty easy to conflate the two.

On 2/19/2024 at 2:14 PM, jimjum12 said:

Does anyone know who did this one?

Answered my own question, possibly. I checked eBAY, and the listing with the lowest price had the most information. Off I go to google to google Bob Doares. GOD BLESS ...

jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 2/19/2024 at 1:46 PM, jimjum12 said:

Question ?

Is this a Harlan Ellison byline? I heard he got started in the JD craze of the 50's. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

wU5LpWl.jpg

A "Stone Cold Classic" - albeit a relatively common one because it was so popular and went through multiple printings

On 2/19/2024 at 2:14 PM, jimjum12 said:

Another quick question.

As a western fan going back to days watching Bonanza, High Chapparral, Gunsmoke, and Rawhide with my Grandpa, I occasional snag books and comics from that genre. I wouldn't mind a sweet copy of The Haunted Mesa, but I digress. I notice many of the early 50's westerns have nice covers. Does anyone know who did this one? His pallette is often mesmerizing. GOD BLESS ... 

YRkffiR.jpg

Most of the Bantams from this time period had a blurb about the artist inside the cover or second page - at least from the 300's through the 700's

On 2/19/2024 at 2:42 PM, Surfing Alien said:

A "Stone Cold Classic" - albeit a relatively common one because it was so popular and went through multiple printings

It seemed well stocked across the web, but that cover is just masterful. I think you sold one here and put it on my radar :foryou: GOD BLESS ... 

On 2/19/2024 at 2:41 PM, jimjum12 said:

This is possibly the sharpest vintage PB I've yet seen. It was almost flawless until I saw a tiny dimple at the center top of the back cover. It almost created it's own new grade strata called "Radical Mint". GOD BLESS ...

7n614Sl.jpg

There's nothing quite like a minty fresh 1950's Avon, except perhaps a minty fresh 1950's Popular Library :)

On 2/19/2024 at 1:18 PM, jimjum12 said:

This one's kind of spicy and tight ... a splendid example of preservation for a train station Dell mapback. GOD BLESS ...

MgLCahH.jpg

5Gba15n.jpg

She sure did get around! Is that a record for most places noted on a map Back?

On 2/19/2024 at 5:36 PM, johnenock said:

That is quite a few places noted. With about 500 mapbacks it's a tough thing to know! Most only have one location but then there's First Men In The Moon which has the entire moon map hm

On 2/19/2024 at 5:36 PM, johnenock said:

I'm new to mapbooks, but feel drawn to them if I see a pretty one. They seem well accounted for and reasonable enough in price ... they also have a wide range of diversity in the series, and lengthy enough to make a run fairly challenging. GOD BLESS ... 

On 2/19/2024 at 1:14 PM, jimjum12 said:

Another quick question.

As a western fan going back to days watching Bonanza, High Chapparral, Gunsmoke, and Rawhide with my Grandpa, I occasional snag books and comics from that genre. I wouldn't mind a sweet copy of The Haunted Mesa, but I digress. I notice many of the early 50's westerns have nice covers. Does anyone know who did this one? His pallette is often mesmerizing. GOD BLESS ... 

YRkffiR.jpg

He did Blood on the Moon (1948), an overlooked Western noir:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040175/

I've got this Hillman but I haven't read it yet.  I know I've seen him in the pulps, but he wasn't as prolific there as I'd imagined.

TheFeudatSingleShot-LukeShort(HillmanWesternNovelClassic045)cover.thumb.jpg.acf57ed801a6e4becd7835b10d70b930.jpg:

Edited by Darwination

On 2/19/2024 at 5:55 PM, Darwination said:

He did Blood on the Moon (1948), an overlooked Western noir:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040175/

I've got this Hillman but I haven't read it yet.  I know I've seen him in the pulps, but he wasn't as prolific there as I'd imagined.

TheFeudatSingleShot-LukeShort(HillmanWesternNovelClassic045)cover.thumb.jpg.acf57ed801a6e4becd7835b10d70b930.jpg:

Seems like he did a lot of Luke Short's work. I like the pulpish style as well. GOD BLESS ...

On 2/19/2024 at 6:02 PM, Darwination said:

Doh, my bad, I was talking about Short (Glidden), not the artist :D

I like the cover on The Rustlers much better than this one

You're the old guard and I'm the new guard. Just as when I was confused by new collectors who didn't read their comics, now I'm the cover hungry newbie. That's actually kind of rich AND ironic. I do actually read books, but my eyesight can't do paperbacks. I read a lot of techno thrillers, a little supernatural, sword and sorcery, love biographies, and am a lover of James Alexander Thoms' western historicals. GOD BLESS ...