• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,292 posts in this topic

On 2/20/2024 at 5:57 PM, jimjum12 said:

After lurking for a few years. I've definitely decided what I like, which is WAY too much. But most of it is affordable and can be found sooner or later. I like the books with covers by Heade, but don't have a line on many that are nice or affordable. This one popped up the other day and it wasn't too rich. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

9iEcvEr.jpg

@moonpool has a very impressive collection of rare Heade.  Books you practically never see for sale.  (thumbsu

Westerns are probably my favorite genre of pulps for reading pleasure.  There's a lot of subgenres within a single issue, and I rarely regret picking one up.  You get humor with the action and occasionally some real History.  In some ways it's the genre most bound to formula but you also get what you might call poetic writing you wouldn't expect.

Added bonus - they are very affordable.  As for the covers, a mixed bag.  I tend to prefer the earlier years with more of an emphasis on landscape or life in the west than gunplay.

My grandpops liked Louis L'Amour, but the faves I have are probably a big set of hardcover Zane Grey I got when my wife's pops passed.  My own kids actually enjoyed watching Westerns with me when they were young just like I remember watching John Wayne with my grandad and spaghetti Westerns with my dad. Sadly, kind of a dying genre but they still make a good one now and then.

At least they made so many back in the day I find new ones worth watching all the time :yeehaw:

Edited by Darwination

On 2/20/2024 at 7:14 PM, Randall Dowling said:

@moonpool has a very impressive collection of rare Heade.

He and Lowell are certainly the chief offenders in getting me hooked on Heade :bigsmile: GOD BLESS ...

On 2/20/2024 at 10:16 PM, johnenock said:

Here are some not dollar books:

Never heard of Coney but he was quite prolific and a great Freas cover and unread.

Jaws that Bite Coney 144.jpeg

Stableford has always been a favorite and a great cover:

Swan Song Stableford Daw 149.jpeg

Payoff Lockridge Pocket 501.jpeg

Murder Avery Kuttner Perma 3058.jpeg

That Swan Song is :cloud9: GOD BLESS ...

On 2/21/2024 at 6:55 PM, Surfing Alien said:

You're off to a great start. They are beautiful books, well selected and well made with many great dust jackets. They just have an artful quality about them. When I sold my first collection I kept most of the ones I had.

Here's a partial shelfie:

20240221_194727.thumb.jpg.eac4a5083da5c39ae0868ef78d96250d.jpg

And the front of one of my favorite Dust Jackets - by Hannes Bokw20240221_194900.thumb.jpg.7699bf02e5cdb89798b481639b7d835c.jpg

Sweet collection. I was taking some notes of whats available on the Abe network today for other books published by Fantasy Press. Now I have a few more to add to the list. (thumbsu

On 2/21/2024 at 1:14 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Breaking away from PB's for a moment I have a copy of Galactic Patrol to share that I just purchased. Published by Fantasy Press these are the best sci-fi HB editions of the late 40's and early 50's per Pat. In fact I must thank Pat for sharing his copy with me recently.

image.jpeg.a518216d985090a98f6ec1e53c0cdde1.jpeg

While I'm at it here are the 4 books from fantasy press that I have acquired thus far.

image.thumb.jpeg.277913f89f165ddfe152aac32de01804.jpeg

Added to my want to buy list. My wife thanks you and Pat. lol

I don't have many hardbacks. I'm a library guy mostly... but I do have the Seabury Quinn "Roads", a few illustrated books w/ NC Wyeth, and a 1st edition "Killers Of The Flower Moon". I simply don't have the space to chase that dragon. Those previous sci-fi's are fantastic, but I'll have to "Just say no." :bigsmile: GOD BLESS ...

I am, at the moment, fighting the good fight against snagging more Arkham House. There aren't THAT many, after all :tonofbricks: