• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,248 posts in this topic

On 2/23/2024 at 12:05 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I was fortunate enough to take a "Tolkien and the Literature of Wonder" course in college (which was, I believe, "only" a 200-level course).  The prof announced on the first day that he had found a semester only allowed him enough time to really do justice to "The Lord of the Rings" so the rest of the Literature of Wonder would have to wait for another time.  Sure, I paid for the hours, but getting credit for studying and writing about a series I loved and had probably already read 3 or 4 times in high school?  Come on.

... I remember back in 7th grade science with Mrs. Sides, we reached the herpetology session in the class. Now Mrs. Sides was hot as fire and wore these delightful mini skirts, so I tried to misbehave enough to where I was often in the desk of shame next to her stool :cloud9: Anyway, I boasted to her that there probably wasn't much she could teach me about reptiles. For the sake of debate, she gave me the final test, before we started the material, and I aced it. I was over the moon.:whee:  It's always cool to take a course on a subject of passion. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 2/22/2024 at 9:21 PM, OtherEric said:

In today.  This is a fairly tricky one, given that it's the first standalone publication of the story.  It first appeared as a serial in Liberty, then in a collection of three Cain stories called Three of a Kind.  I could stand to upgrade this quite easily, but it will do until a better copy shows up.

Murder Mystery Monthly 16.jpg

I love Cain! His stuff still reads very well.

On 2/26/2024 at 11:16 AM, jimjum12 said:

This is a cover that I particularly like, not sure why. A search on Google has yielded no fruit as to who the cover artist is. One link attributed it to the writer, which I doubt. Any help is appreciated. The style seems familiar, but there were a LOT of very competent cover artists in the vintage era. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

K13iJFC.jpg

Definitely not the writer. I think it looks a lot like Ernest Chiriaka's work, seen here (as his pseudonym "Darcy") on Charles Williams' superb "Girl Out Back" from the same time frame. I see my pal Steve Wallace on Flickr hasn't put a credit on but I bet he'd agree the semi-loose brushwork and composition style is very similar. Chiriaka did a TON of cover paintings in the 50's & early 60's, many for Dell. If not him, someone in the style for sure.

20240228_111006.thumb.jpg.a1fcbabf8646f8cbd0a7aab56c37a244.jpg

This pretty undercopy may appear in another thread around here this weekend :)