• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,158 posts in this topic

On 3/1/2024 at 2:29 PM, mstrange said:

👀

Lynn Munroe has a nice page dedicated to him and his work for anyone that's interested (Lynn's site may look old but it's got an enormous quantity of information).

http://lynn-munroe-books.com/list61/copeland.htm

Killer main article there, and I mean to get into the magazine indexes, too, as I'm particularly keen on the mid-50s magazines as an extension of the Timely/Atlas scanning project.

I'd cast an aside, though, and say not to overlook True or Saga (or Cavalier or Cavalcade a rung down) just because the material is a bit staid and hasn't crossed into the Ilsa She Wolf of the SS territories of the later sweats.  Some of the early sweats drew in some bigger names in fiction and journalism (and art for that matter) and are fantastic reading.  For my personal tastes, late 50s is actually the sweet spot.

On 3/1/2024 at 3:55 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Lynn Munroe has a nice page dedicated to him and his work for anyone that's interested (Lynn's site may look old but it's got an enormous quantity of information).

http://lynn-munroe-books.com/list61/copeland.htm

All of Lynn's checklists and bios are awesome. Well researched to the source wherever he can. Just a wealth and a great asset to the pb community. His Rader and Ziel checklists are primo. I literally shed a few tears reading his Ziel bio the first time through.

On 3/1/2024 at 4:29 PM, Darwination said:

Ilsa She Wolf of the SS

I saw that, along with Ilsa, Harem Keeper of the Oil Shieks, at the drive in when I was in HS ... can't unsee that stuff. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/1/2024 at 5:59 PM, Surfing Alien said:

This Bloch double is signed on both sides :whee:

20240301_172901.thumb.jpg.9d86e6517651c154a5982a4db96cca81.jpg

20240301_172923.thumb.jpg.9d5bcbe2aa3ca193593138fcaff96009.jpg

There's just something about a square glossy Ace (thumbsu

Woah!  Big book, SA!  :headbang:

(increasingly, I'm a sucker for signed copies)

Edited by Randall Dowling
clarification

On 3/1/2024 at 11:34 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Woah!  Big book, SA!  :headbang:

(increasingly, I'm a sucker for signed copies)

Thanks RD, I've been picking up quite a few lately. I have a lot of the vintage PB's I really want in high grade by now after 7 years back collecting and many of the ones I don't have is because they so rarely come up for sale or I miss them or are outbid when I catch them :cry:

Signed copies are kind of the next high after crack doesn't give you a lift anymore :insane:

On 3/2/2024 at 9:50 AM, jimjum12 said:

I like the signed ones too. I'm lucky to have a few, Sturgeon, Farmer, and Bloch :cloud9: Sometimes I fantasize about a signed Lovecraft or Howard. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

zJTxTqG.jpg

7zRBiV5.jpg

Ds9G8GZ.jpg

ppCWiST.jpg

A0QuPQg.jpg

I haven't gotten the nerv up to photo the inside of the Farmer ... the stroke still has my left arm unpredictable. 

I've got a Sturgeon signed More Than Human, but it's so overgraded I don't even like to look at it. 

Very Cool!  That Farmer is a real beauty!  (thumbsu

On 5/26/2023 at 3:50 PM, GACollectibles said:

Couldn't pass this up today, about 400 pieces with many Ace Doubles, Avons, and a box of mostly sci-fi digests with copy of Fate #1

IMG_7061.jpegIMG_7063.jpegIMG_7064.jpegIMG_7066.jpegIMG_7062.jpeg

Great find, but how did FDR get in there? 😀