• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,263 posts in this topic

On 3/4/2024 at 6:43 PM, jimjum12 said:

It seems that Maguire has his following. I like the style and he was prolific for sure. This one was a little pricey, but It's kind of cool. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

mM5vY2C.jpg

Yeah, he did quite a few of what I call these "full-length good girls"   Pretty things they are (thumbsu

On 3/4/2024 at 5:43 PM, jimjum12 said:

It seems that Maguire has his following. I like the style and he was prolific for sure. This one was a little pricey, but It's kind of cool. GOD BLESS ...

mM5vY2C.jpg

That's a great book, James.  Nice grab!  I love Maguire's work.  It's almost all paperback covers that he did (very little, else- off the top of my head, I can only think of a few digests and that's it).  But he did a lot of work in his career.  I think SA had a number, somewhere in the 800 range of different paperback covers.  At one point, I was seriously thinking I might acquire all of them but after all these years, I keep finding new titles I didn't know about.  800 is a shockingly large number of books.  I think I only have a couple hundred, at best.  Maybe not even that.

Stag Stripper is a great title.  It has a lot going for it- Maguire cover, earlyish Midwood title, and as SA said, a great full female figure rendering.  (thumbsu

This is a great site for exploring cover art for this kind of thing.  Be warned, though.  A person can lose a lot of time looking through this site.  Maguire is only the beginning...

https://pulpcovers.com/?s=Maguire

Edit:

I just went through a few of the first pages and they have some new things since I last went through their Maguire posts.  Including a few magazine covers and pulps.  My error.

Edited by Randall Dowling
Correction

On 2/11/2024 at 1:39 PM, Pat Calhoun said:

well, that said, if you get hold of one of these that you think is too pretty to read make sure you get a reader copy too because the upper right BC blurb is severe understatement. this is not just a book, but a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hang out with a wise and wonderful voice that will help you to the end of your days: may you live long and prosper.

0newts.jpg

0newtsbc.jpg

I had the day off today and finished it this evening. Definitely a classic in every sense of the word and one that will stick with me. Thanks for the recommendation!! 

On 3/6/2024 at 6:24 PM, johnenock said:

Scanning books for the comics purge and got these unread books in today:

Since everyone else seems to have one:

Dweller's in the mirage.jpeg

Really like Shell Scott:

Double in Trouble.jpeg

Too pretty to pass up:

World Without Men Ace.jpeg

Simulacra F-301 ACE.jpeg

Awesome cover:

Shameless Cain Avon.jpeg

Don't usually go for the sleaze books unless they are thinly veiled with a detective yarn but...

Tangerine Popular G449.jpeg

Most Likely to Love Monarch 150.jpeg

Beautiful books (thumbsu I don't think most vintage pb collectors really consider Monarchs as sleaze. Definitely not Popular Library, which was a very  mainstream publisher. They did have a lot of sexy covers though.

This is sleaze 🙂

20240220_190246.thumb.jpg.af2b092d758e5e773893508a38c33aab.jpg

Bill Ward cover art 

This one comes from that rare genre, loosely referred to as "Bio-Horror Smut", and it's a doozy. What a cult classic film THIS would make, if someone would only ... GOD BLESS ...

KWtsSoP.jpg

On 3/6/2024 at 8:39 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Love Johnson's sense of humor on that one. 

On this one, not so much humorous but his cartooning background comes out a bit, like on "Suburbia"

20230729_195511.thumb.jpg.f00a6b17e34c4687867366398c669971.jpg

That bare fanny in the background sure was easy to pick up on. Watched a good deal of the long YouTube you compiled — nice work!

On 3/6/2024 at 8:53 PM, OtherEric said:

Monarch books are essentially the book division of Charlton.  To this day, I don't think I've ever had one simple fact explain so much in so few words.

More like a marriage between Popular Library and Charlton, as their execs combined forces to start the line.

However, unlike Charlton, they hired some of the best Golden Age PB artists, Maguire, DeSoto, Johnson, Marchetti etc. to paint big Good Girl covers.

They also hired quite a few good writers like Gil Brewer, William Ard, Robert Silverberg, Marion Zimmer Bradley to write original material.