• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,462 posts in this topic

On 6/4/2024 at 6:03 PM, Darwination said:

BurlesqueGirl-OrrieHItt(1958.Beacon180)coverPBO.thumb.jpg.9eb94b4d8154a57b52ff81d17ee94db5.jpg

Can a paperback with a hideous cover still be beautiful? The jury is out, but this cheap Orrie Hitt Beacon looks like it came off the shelf yesterday.

No, it is simply hideous, with no redeeming quality. I sure hope for his sake that the artist is unknown. Besides the terribly painted face, hair, and hands, the design is also dreadful. Who in their right mind would make the back of a man's bald head so prominent?

On 6/4/2024 at 5:13 PM, jimjum12 said:
On 6/4/2024 at 4:25 PM, waaaghboss said:

Does anyone have a copy of Maltese Falcon?  Was the dust jacket glued on by the publisher for later printings?

My copy is that way, unsure of printing. I'll try to check and get back. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Mine is fourth print Pocket Books. My question, which google couldn't seem to answer, is how many titles exist with dust jackets? GOD BLESS....

100_3860.JPG

100_3859.JPG

On 6/4/2024 at 9:04 PM, Sarg said:

No, it is simply hideous, with no redeeming quality. I sure hope for his sake that the artist is unknown. Besides the terribly painted face, hair, and hands, the design is also dreadful. Who in their right mind would make the back of a man's bald head so prominent?

Judging by the dancer's face, the bald guy's front view is even worse. GOD BLESS ....

On 6/5/2024 at 4:28 AM, jimjum12 said:

Mine is fourth print Pocket Books. My question, which google couldn't seem to answer, is how many titles exist with dust jackets? GOD BLESS....

100_3860.JPG

100_3859.JPG

Not able to find much, other than the uk penguins mentioned by Sarg.  Another example mentioned in The Art of Pulp Fiction was the Cask.  My guess is they wanted to up sales with sexy covers but just started making the lurid covers to begin with circumventing the need for the dust jackets.

Screenshot_20240605_102138.thumb.jpg.4520153384fc427d3296d4416a53dab3.jpg

Screenshot_20240605_102106.thumb.jpg.e5ff4d7dbaf0fa46baccdd0c189d14a4.jpg

On 6/1/2024 at 12:55 PM, OtherEric said:

Anybody know who the artist is on this one?  I grabbed a copy a few years ago just because it's an incredible cover:

Popular_404.thumb.jpg.3e2c58f2e39a4f87de0ba9f491c7a6a2.jpg

I suspect it's Harry Barton based on the jilted lady in the door and the overall scene. There is a trace of the top of a signature at the bottom right as well that looks like it could be Barton's but I haven't been able to find a copy off centered to the bottom enough to substantiate that

On 6/1/2024 at 1:58 PM, jimjum12 said:

Try as he might, Richard Powers could produce NO duds. He died a broken man, never having tasted the sweet nectar of failure. GOD BLESS ...

...to me, the iconic lord of darkness was Tim Curry in 1985's "Legend". DeNiro did a decent take in "Angel Heart" also.

Try as I might, I could just never love Powers. It didn't help after I read the interview (somewhere) where he said (paraphrasing) that, once he stopped painting realistic covers early in his career when publishers started experimenting outside of realistic art, he could just paint anything fast and get paid. I still like quite a few of his covers but there's many that I can't warm to because they're just cold to me. As always YMMV