• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,462 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2024 at 2:08 PM, BitterOldMan said:

Feast Unknown is absolutely X-Rated.  If you know, you know.  Tarzan fights Doc Savage in a frenzied sex orgy.  The follow-up is pretty mild.

IMG_3841.thumb.jpeg.f65247d93cc0e90a4c321c443b3af248.jpeg

My copy.  I've got the 1st edition of the Double as well somewhere, with some very nice covers by Gray Morrow, but not sure which box that's in.

Feast_Unknown.jpg.fc53b91d065947c8b6ec71e6d5dce97d.jpg

On 6/22/2024 at 3:10 PM, Darwination said:

WTF :D

How did no one get sued?

Well, Philip Jose Farmer later wrote "biographies" of both Tarzan and Doc Savage, as well as an "official" Tarzan novel and an "official" Doc Savage novel.  So it somewhat amazingly didn't burn bridges with the estates, and the Playboy Press edition of A Feast Unknown came out after the biographies.  I think Playboy Press also did the 2nd printings on the biographies around the same time as the re-release of Feast Unknown.

On 6/22/2024 at 3:24 PM, Darwination said:

Great covers!  Who did them?

Leo & Diane Dillon.  Who actually do get credited on the back cover in small print, which isn't much but it's a lot more than most cover artists get even today.