• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,462 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2024 at 5:22 PM, OtherEric said:

Today's pickups at the local used bookstore are somewhat themed:

13_Isle of the Dead.jpg

17_The Island Under the Earth.jpg

19_The Silent_Multitude.jpg

21_Pavane.jpg

28_After Things Fell Apart.jpg

29_The Year of the Quiet Sun.jpg

Nice pickups! I'm slowly trying to get all the Ace Science Fiction Specials and Ballantine Adult Fantasy books. Some of the best paperback covers ever IMHO.

On 6/22/2024 at 6:03 PM, Darwination said:

Got a pb in this today, perfect fit :makepoint:

20240622_175942.thumb.jpg.1a7efd9e63d0178f7838899fb5b2e550.jpg

I rarely buy on Ebay anymore but a couple weeks ago I bought a decent copy of The Dispossessed and they wrapped it in plastic wrap like a sandwich. doh!

The day it arrived, it was about 95 degrees here in KC. Thankfully it hadn't stuck to the cover. It also wasn't too much money, but still, saran wrap?

*panty-waist collector trigger warning* :baiting:

Paperback newbie question - do people always let peeling lamination be?  I take it there's no way to repair it, but if it starts to chip and peel obnoxiously, isn't there a point where it's tempting to peel the rest?  Is there any risk of color/paper loss if you do?  In terms of collectibility, how much of a turn-off is it if an otherwise nice copy is missing its laminate?

On 6/22/2024 at 8:26 PM, Darwination said:

isn't there a point where it's tempting to peel the rest? 

Been there, done that, filled with regret afterward.  :insane:

Seriously, though, I agree with Pat.  If it's fraying and it detracts from appearance, I think it looks better without.  I'm sure technical grading would disagree but that's how I feel.  :sumo:

On 6/23/2024 at 1:15 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Been there, done that, filled with regret afterward.  :insane:

Seriously, though, I agree with Pat.  If it's fraying and it detracts from appearance, I think it looks better without.  I'm sure technical grading would disagree but that's how I feel.  :sumo:

Lamination is part of the book as printed. I can not get past that and thus can not peel off even flaky tattered lamination, I just try to stabilize it the best I can. If pbs ever get graded there would have to be a hefty downgrade to the max grade a book could get that had its lamination peeled off entirely imho.

On 6/23/2024 at 5:33 PM, BitterOldMan said:

Took a while to locate a copy of a tough paperback from Spain featuring titillating cartoons drawn by Spanish great, Jose Gonzalez.  Came through Belgium.  Nothing like the thrill of the hunt.

IMG_3878.thumb.jpeg.0899eb6bee586269e971aa139da65637.jpegIMG_3879.thumb.jpeg.4705ee14fdb207ba7900ecbb1f7e566b.jpegIMG_3880.thumb.jpeg.1e32fb8928de65f19ea8e4548feaa701.jpeg

This is fantastic. Pamela reminds me of Morrison's wife and muse. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu