• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,487 posts in this topic

A couple of new reader/scanner pbs.

Red Runs the River - William Heuman (1952.Gold Medal 216) cover Barye Phillips

RedRunstheRiver-WilliamHeuman(1952.GoldMedal216)coverBaryePhillips.thumb.jpg.f6379e32f6004436065c5a33bbb9350d.jpg

RedRunstheRiver-WilliamHeuman(1952.GoldMedal216)rearcover.thumb.jpg.ff8c650e9798a5babe6fee7e595bd1df.jpg

Dig My Grave Deep - Peter Rabe (1956.Gold Medal Book 612) cover Lu Kimmel PBO.  Hope to find a high grade copy of this one at some point.

DigMyGraveDeep-PeterRabe(1956.GoldMedalBook612)coverLuKimmelPBO.thumb.jpg.84d97cc5ef549ee801380ce7fce041db.jpg

DigMyGraveDeep-PeterRabe(1956.GoldMedalBook612)rearcoverLuKimmelPBO.thumb.jpg.3f579e59d6436b020f6ecefbe58d9429.jpg

On 7/1/2024 at 10:37 AM, jimjum12 said:

Sometimes we have to include some meat and potatoes with all the junk. I have a special fondness for the scored covers on select publisher's merch. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

PB460.jpg

One of my all-time favorite authors. Been looking for first edition PB's of his to no avail.

On 7/1/2024 at 12:44 PM, johnenock said:

One of my all-time favorite authors. Been looking for first edition PB's of his to no avail.

My problem is with 1st PB's of true classics, I'm still learning how to reference what's what ... a lot of trial and error. For the longest time I was chugging along with only smut and sleaze. Then I grabbed a 1st print PB of "On The Road", and it was truly off to the races. Lo, the flood gate opened. GOD BLESS ...

Edited by jimjum12

On 7/1/2024 at 11:37 AM, jimjum12 said:

Sometimes we have to include some meat and potatoes with all the junk. I have a special fondness for the scored covers on select publisher's merch. GOD BLESS ... 

PB460.jpg

I love The Sun Also Rises, but there's no way in the world if you showed me this cover sans title I could put two and two together :D

Lord help me from going down a Hemingway pb rabbit-hole today - - -

On 7/1/2024 at 3:38 PM, Darwination said:

I love The Sun Also Rises, but there's no way in the world if you showed me this cover sans title I could put two and two together :D

Lord help me from going down a Hemingway pb rabbit-hole today - - -

Show us what's what ... I'm not complaining. GOD BLESS ...

I probably should break down a get the Warren Guide. It prolly has the info I seek. 

I really enjoy seeing paperback versions of classics, too.  On the one hand there's the tension between classic and literary and this pulpy newsstand product, but then there's also the fact that you're making these books affordable and available on the street corner.  Not to mention potentially putting some great art (or bad art heh heh) on books that might have had dreary covers.  I will cop to the fact in starting to collect paperbacks where I reach a certain price point and I'm like, hmm, wouldn't I be better off getting a nice HC or even putting the pb version dough towards the HC first edition? PBOs, of course, eliminate that dilemma-

Hemingway's a great author for collectors.  You've got the original books, but then he's all over the place in magazines, too, from slicks down to men's magazines.

did search on what may be sig

Nik Puspurica  / Nick Puspurica (1929-2020)
Artist | Painter

A Dallas native, Nik Puspurica was a painter, illustrator, filmmaker, and teacher. He exhibited widely from the 1950’s through 1970’s both in Texas and New York, and his illustrations were featured on book covers, albums, and in magazines. Known for his bold use of color and mid-century modern aesthetic, his distinctive work captures the people, places, and spirit of New York and early Dallas.